Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I've been reading all of the messages in this part of the forum and am fascinated and impressed with the knowledge and expertise of the members! I finally registered with ODYCLUB.com so that I can ask the experts about their opinions about this system. Could you feedback on whether this system is comparable to the Backseat Theater sold through Sam's Club that was discussed in a previous message/thread? I know the monitor is bigger but is the system expandable for DVD/video games and what additional gadgets do I need to make it work (i.e., FM modulator, etc.)?

www.newsales.com/tvconsole/8_inch_overhead_universal_tv_con.htm

If you're not able to click on the above as a link, could you tell me how to change it so that you can?

thanks!
buffysingstheblues

·
Registered
59 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by buffysingstheblues:
Could you feedback on whether this system is comparable to the Backseat Theater sold through Sam's Club that was discussed in a previous message/thread?
</font>
From the picture, it looks more like the Jensen unit. If the stats are comparible to the Jensen, I would say that it's a pretty good unit. Plus is includes the wireless headset.

------------------
Warren - '01 GG EX

·
Registered
585 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by buffysingstheblues:
Could you feedback on whether this system is comparable to the Backseat Theater sold through Sam's Club that was discussed in a previous message/thread? I know the monitor is bigger but is the system expandable for DVD/video games and what additional gadgets do I need to make it work (i.e., FM modulator, etc.)?</font>

Main differences I see (new unit v/ traveltheater)

- 8" LCD vs. 6.8"
- heavy-looking install (does it include a bracket? You'll have to fashion one to mount unit to ceiling) vs. no bracket necessary for traveltheater
- 'wired' install; you will have to run wires under the headliner and down the B pillar of the Ody and find a place to cut a hole (or leave wires sticking up out of carpet) which means you may opt for having a a/v shop install it. vs. traveltheater which uses 2.4 gHz transmitter so no in-vehicle wiring necessary (ie you can install the traveltheater yourself quite easily) so you avoid paying to have someone muck about with your vehicle interior.
- lighted console vs. travel w/ no lights
- no speakers vs. travel w/ 2 speakers on unit
- fm modulator should work the same way for both
- both have 2 IR headphones
- remote control vs. no remote
- permanent installation vs. removeable installation
- $699 vs. $599 (at autotoys.com) if you're comparing apples to apples

Personally, I'd still opt for the traveltheater but then again, I don't trust anyone doing installs on my vehicle except the Honda dealer.

·
Registered
483 Posts
This looks like the model I saw at Stereo 1. The picture quality is very clear and from a distance, you can still see it clearly. I positioned myself as if I was on the third seat on the ODY and the screen still looks big and clear. In fact I was going to ask you guys what you think but 'buffysingstheblues' beat me to it.

The guy said this is made in Taiwan. Not sure about durability but it looks pretty good. This comes with the Farenheit DVD/CD/MD player. I just did not like the clicking sound when you drop it down. And the way you tuck it in is upside down (meaning the LCD screen is exposed as you ca see in the picture). Like the ad said, you can angle this 45 degrees to the left or right.

The red lens in the front is for wireless headphones. You can have 2 or 4 wireless headphones.

As for the remote, the one I saw was not the credit card type. It looked more like a regular TV remote - shaped more like a tear drop.

Can't find any reviews on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts