Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I am waiting for my 02' EX-L-NAV, I am thinking to add a IVES system. However, I wonder if I can install the monitor closer to the front where the sunglasses compartment is, so that the 2 front seaters can watch too. I do not think only kids in the back love to watch video, sometimes I would like to keep track of the score of ball games or any immediate news if it has a TV tuner.
Has anyone installed the monitor in the front part of the van ?

·
Registered
143 Posts
You don't need to install an additional monitor for front seaters. With some mod, you can turn your NAV into a monitor... http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000130.html

BTW, could anyone suggest me a good place for installing an additional monitor (to my RES) for front seaters? I know it could be installed on the visor, but I don't want to install two monitors...

Sid

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I've seen how they turned that Nav to a video monitor, but I do not think it is something for an average skilled person like me to do, in fact I wonder how many has done that.
I read that there is a special hole in the roof behind the headliner to mount the monitor and there is where all the RES's monitor located. However, I have also read that some aftermarket monitor can be just hung on the headliner without actual mounting on the roof. I just curious if the monitor can be mounted between the 2 front seaters.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I've seen how they turned that Nav to a video monitor, but I do not think it is something for an average skilled person like me to do, in fact I wonder how many has done that.
I read that there is a special hole in the roof behind the headliner to mount the monitor and there is where all the RES's monitor located. However, I have also read that some aftermarket monitor can be just hung on the headliner without actual mounting on the roof. I just curious if the monitor can be mounted between the 2 front seaters.

·
Registered
122 Posts
First check your local laws. In Ca it is illegal for the front seat passenger to be able to watch video. There is only one position for the Honda IVES. you are right there are hole under the headliner that the ives must bolt to. Read the previous post about the backseat theatre. It only clips to the headliner.

·
Registered
207 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rollie66:
First check your local laws. In Ca it is illegal for the front seat passenger to be able to watch video.</font>
It's illegal in TX as well:

§ 547.611(a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with video receiving equipment, including a television and similar equipment, only if the equipment is located so that the video display is not visible from the operator's seat.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the legal problem. I guess I'll installed the monitor to the hole assigned by Honda, but I'll look for a monitor that can be turned 360 degree when folded down.
Has anyone seen one with that ability ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
One useful feature I've seen on a Navigation/TV combo in a Japan (local) version of Toyota ES300 (aka Lexus here) is that the video playing would be muted when the vehicle is in motion. I think if we can somehow get that behavior on the Navi screen then it will be legal in CA too.

·
Registered
200 Posts
vanpicker,

If I recall early iVES discussions correctly, the iVES does not come with a TV tuner. I am not sure if current models do. Of course, you could always add a tuner through an auxiliary input.

Jeff

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Rosen Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards
Full Nose Mask

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

·
Registered
207 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mecca:
One useful feature I've seen on a Navigation/TV combo in a Japan (local) version of Toyota ES300 (aka Lexus here) is that the video playing would be muted when the vehicle is in motion. I think if we can somehow get that behavior on the Navi screen then it will be legal in CA too.</font>
Same deal with the LX470; when the vehicle is in "park", you can view DVDs on the NAV screen. When you shift out, you get audio only. The link below was posted in a recent thread by VideoNavi......OH YEAH, and also by Ody2002 in this thread:

http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000130.html

[This message has been edited by Homer (edited 11-08-2001).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts