Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've finally put the $500 deposit on a 2002 GG or SS Odyssey. The dealer (Weseloh Honda) says that it will be around 45 to 60 days before I get the van (I'm in no hurry, the current van is still working but has 197K miles on it). He'll be giving me the VIN# in about two weeks.

Problem: What I don't want to get is the very first van that rolls out of the new Alabama plant(due to fire up around November, same timeframe as my new van!) I think plant will need at least three months to work out the inevitable start-up problems.

My question: Can I tell from the VIN where and when the van is to be made? If it is one of the first coming out of the Alabama plant, then I won't take delivery. I'll just wait until April or May.

Thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hmmm...interesting. I put my deposit down with Weseloh last Tuesday (10/23), and they made no mention of being able to supply a VIN. The message I got was that the deposit got your name on the list, but they couldn't order a specific van for you (maybe I'm wrong). Basically when a van arrived which met your requirements and nobody on the list in front of you was looking for it, it was yours to take or leave... that's why I'm surprised that they would be able to give you the VIN. Actually the VIN would only be avilable to them once the specific van is built, in which case it would only be a couple of weeks max before it arrived at the dealer.

To answer you question (!), I read on an Odyssey forum at edmunds.com that there is a code stamp somewhere in the engine bay that will help identify the manufacturing source. If the code begins with a '1' it will be from Alabama, if its a '2' it will be from Canada.

Richard

·
Registered
143 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pearsonrj:
To answer you question (!), I read on an Odyssey forum at edmunds.com that there is a code stamp somewhere in the engine bay that will help identify the manufacturing source. If the code begins with a '1' it will be from Alabama, if its a '2' it will be from Canada.

Richard
</font>
Sorry, that information is incorrect. Please refer to a previous thread, vin question, asked by wallstreet123456: http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000205.html

·
Registered
205 Posts
Oops - my bad. Thanks for the correct information!

Richard

·
Registered
196 Posts
Dealers are given the VIN# once the van has been placed into the production cycle. This is typically 10 to 15 days before delivery since the van has a seventeen hour build time from start to finish.

------------------

See my Pics

Tom
2002 RP EXL-RES

·
Registered
255 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tomhan:
This is typically 10 to 15 days before delivery since the van has a seventeen hour build time from start to finish.</font>
They build these things in 17 hours???? I've spent longer than that in this forum today alone....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by pearsonrj:
Hmmm...interesting. I put my deposit ....but they couldn't order a specific van for you (maybe I'm wrong).

I was able to order the color of my choice from Weseloh. You may want to contact them again if you want a specific color (and are willing to wait).

P

·
0 Posts
I agree. We were able to specify a color and trim with Weseloh. Several other people have been able to do that too.

But the downside is that the wait is longer.

Michelle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts