Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My VIN starts with 5FN and has the code for the alabama plant but the serial number starts with "0" not "5". Is this a US or Canada model?

·
Registered
628 Posts
The first digit, 5, indicates that your van was assembled in Lincoln, AL.

------------------
Mike Lowary
Freeport, IL

'02 GG EX-L
splash guards, Honda 6 disc in dash CD changer, Honda fog lights, cargo tray, genuine leather steering wheel cover, Pioneer TS-1695 front speakers

'96 Honda Accord EX
'01 Honda Goldwing ABS
'96 Honda Helix

·
Registered
81 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ncodyowner:
My VIN starts with 5FN and has the code for the alabama plant but the serial number starts with "0" not "5". Is this a US or Canada model? </font>
You're right about the first digit in the VIN being the code for the plant, 5 does denote that it was built in Alabama.

The last six digits of the VIN is the serial number, this is what tells if the van is destined for Canada or the US. If it starts with a 5, it's a US bound model. If it starts with a 0 it's a Canadian model.

If you're living in North Carolina and buying a new Odyssey that has a serial number that starts with a 0, you need to have a heart-to-heart with your dealer or find a new dealer. You won't get a Honda factory warranty in the US with a Canadian Odyssey.

Good Luck!

Scott

·
Registered
22 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sgergen:
You're right about the first digit in the VIN being the code for the plant, 5 does denote that it was built in Alabama.

The last six digits of the VIN is the serial number, this is what tells if the van is destined for Canada or the US. If it starts with a 5, it's a US bound model. If it starts with a 0 it's a Canadian model.

If you're living in North Carolina and buying a new Odyssey that has a serial number that starts with a 0, you need to have a heart-to-heart with your dealer or find a new dealer. You won't get a Honda factory warranty in the US with a Canadian Odyssey.

Good Luck!

Scott
</font>
See my post started earlier today with similar subject. Bottom line is that it appears that the 12th digit of "0" means a home market model (i.e., built in the US, then its a US model, built in Canada, it's a Canadian model) and a "5" is for out of country model. That seems to be why Alabama-built Odys have the "0". I had a dealer confirm this with American Honda today who stated that "B0" means Alabama built USA model. Honda should be putting out a bulletin to this effect (so says the dealer).

Does anyone here have an Alabama-built Ody with "5" starting the serial number (12th position)?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts