Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best stuff to keep inside vinyl and outside vinyl looking good. I live in FL and the sun just kills vinyl down here.
That one website recommended vinylex(inside) and black again on the outside. supposedly they have decent UV protection in them as well, but Armor All claims to have UV protectant too. Any suggestions from the fanatics out there?

http://www.carcarespecialties.com/howto_articles.html

thanks
Steve

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ckonarske:
The best protectant I know of is 303 Aerospace Protectant.

There's info at http://properautocare.com/303-16.html

Definitely one of the better protectants out there.

</font>
I have been using 303 and I'm happy with it. I use it on my spa cover as well and it seems to be holding up well. Summers at my house are routinely 100+. 303 leaves a satin type finish not real shiny. Also good for the tires and exterior trim.

Other good brands are Vinylex and Zaino. Zaino makes an interior(z-10) and exterior trim and tire(z-16). I have not used the Vinylex but I am happy so far with the Zaino z-16 I got with the group purchase.

I think if you use any of these brands you're good to go, but stay away from anything with silicone.

Chomp

·
Registered
96 Posts
Where can you purchase 303? Is it only available online?

------------------
Chris
99 EX Deep Velvet Blue; Fog Lights; Air Deflector; Splash Guards; Cargo Tray; Cargo Mat

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Check out Griot's Garage, they have a pretty good protectant with no silicone.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
It took me a while to find it, but 303 is available at Murray's around here. Can't help you with other sources. I think they may have a dealer directory on ther web site.

------------------
Chuck
CLICK HERE FOR ODY PICS & PROJECTS

·
Registered
21 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cwneed:
Where can you purchase 303? Is it only available online?

</font>
I DID buy my 303 online, but I don't know if it's the only source. You could also try spa/jacuzzi stores. I'm pretty sure you can find Vinylex at local auto parts places.

Chomp

·
Registered
119 Posts
Chompers said:

Other good brands are Vinylex and Zaino. Zaino makes an interior(z-10) and exterior trim and tire(z-16). I have not used the Vinylex but I am happy so far with the Zaino z-16 I got with the group purchase.

I think if you use any of these brands you're good to go, but stay away from anything with silicone.

Vinylex has silicone and organo-functional silicone (whatever that is) in it.

I've noticed several posts stating that you should stay away from any vinyl/rubber protectants with silicone. Why? Does it attract dust? Promote deterioration? Create that shiny look?

I wouldn't ever use it on my dash, but i've always used Honda's silicone spray to clean and protect door seals and rubber boots with great results.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you go to the 303 website-

http://www.303products.com/home.htm

they have a dealer locator. you can either order online or enter your zipcode and they'll tell you where to buy it locally. the best price I found so far is at:

http://www.theoutdoorscenter.com/index.htm

It would be approx $50 per gallon with shipping. This seems like a good product but I've also read very good things about Vinylex at carcarespecialties listed above. Has anyone used both products and can give an informed opinion on them? how long do they last. I just used some armorall I had laying around and after a week, it didn't look too good. I want to get something that will last and I'm willing to spend some money to avoid repeat applications and additional work.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Can't say I've used both, but I got some 303 at the local boating supply store. Used it about 1.5 months ago, adn dash top still looks great. Haven't got the sun shield yet, so it does get some sun. I am very happy with 303 - all but the price!:eek: Well, you get what you pay for.... :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
CARTman said:

Vinylex has silicone and organo-functional silicone (whatever that is) in it.

I've noticed several posts stating that you should stay away from any vinyl/rubber protectants with silicone. Why? Does it attract dust? Promote deterioration? Create that shiny look?

I wouldn't ever use it on my dash, but i've always used Honda's silicone spray to clean and protect door seals and rubber boots with great results.

As one would expect, it's not that simple. Apparently there are "good" and "bad" silicones.

Most condemnations are of "raw" silicone or dimethal silicone. (Heavy petrolieum distillates are bad too.)

"Good" silicones are siloxane or the amino functional family. For more, see http://www.autoint.com/Basics of tire vinyl leather protection.htm for more info.

·
Registered
119 Posts
TeamKlein said:

As one would expect, it's not that simple. Apparently there are "good" and "bad" silicones.

Most condemnations are of "raw" silicone or dimethal silicone. (Heavy petrolieum distillates are bad too.)

"Good" silicones are siloxane or the amino functional family. For more, see http://www.autoint.com/Basics of tire vinyl leather protection.htm for more info.
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if anyone ever read my question. Better late than never I guess. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I used the 303 on the Ody recently and noticed that it looked a lot like Armour All. I will continue to use the Armour All (the non-glossy kind) on the other vehicles and use the 303 on the Ody.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Can anyone tell me the difference between Vinylex and the 303 product. I use the Vinylex for awhile and the only downside is that it does cause alot of glare on the windshield when it sunny. I was thinking of putting a dash topper over the dash to cut down on the glare. But I do like the smell of the interior after I use the Vinylex. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts