Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The vehicle is a 2008 Honda Ody. It has 210K. Due to a new, slight noise and pull in the front-end, I decided to do some major work this weekend (overkill, but after no problems and so many miles, I thought it would be good prevention). But now I have VSA, ABS and brake lights on and a lot of confusion about it.

Work done: control arms, inner and outer tie rods, sway bar bushing, sway bar links, struts, shocks, cv axles. Both sides.
Needs done: alignment. It is bad. I tried measuring lengths of tie rods, but it visually is toe in.

I left the battery connected during the repairs. I ran the vehicle in the air prior to disassembly and manually turned off the VSA. I did not turn it back on. I disconnected the ABS sensors on both sides when pulling everything apart. On the drivers side, I attempted to carefully remove it from the hub, but gave up. My method was slightly pry, then attempt to tap it out from the back side. It did not appear to move or get damaged. This may be the source of the ABS light and I may need a new sensor of this side. Thoughts, other than STUPID to try to pull it out? Can this also be the cause of the brake light? Is there a way to use the onboard system to give me a code to tell me what it thinks is at fault?

The VSA is odd. Could it be just from the bad alignment and bad ABS sensor? According to this link, it would seem it is uncommon for something to go bad related to VSA: The Honda Yellow Triangle Exclamation VSA Light Just Came On - Here's What To Do | Torque News

Thanks for the help. I am very anxious right now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah, the battery did get ridiculously low, so I applied a charge too. Going to check the codes using the onboard. Then, I am going to try the ABS reset and VSA reset methods as described here:

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I think you likely damaged one or both ABS sensors. This would also cause the VSA light issue. Not sure about your brake lights. Are you referring to the exterior rear brake lights being on all the time or some brake indicator on the instrument panel?

·
Registered
13,424 Posts
No way to know for sure without scanning for codes but the most likely scenario is you damaged an ABS sensor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you likely damaged one or both ABS sensors. This would also cause the VSA light issue. Not sure about your brake lights. Are you referring to the exterior rear brake lights being on all the time or some brake indicator on the instrument panel?
Instrument panel. The brake indicator. However, it is now off. This may have been related to having new suspension causing the reservoir to be out of level.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ordered one ABS sensor, and will replace it tomorrow. Hopefully that is all, and hopefully all that carefully torqued stuff comes apart rear easily :)

·
Registered
13,424 Posts
Yes, B1222 means you need a new mode control motor in the rear. I see that code all the time.

If the light went out on it's own then it's possible it was just due to running the car in Drive in the air. If the computer sees the front tires spinning normally but not the back then it thinks there is a problem. I've seen this lots of times when checking wheel bearings on the lift. Clearing the ABS codes or driving it a few times with everything working will usually cause the light to go out. You may not have a problem at all.

Reactions: hwmonkey

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since I ordered an ABS sensor and had the tools out and used assembly oil when putting it all together, I took apart the left side quickly and easily, beat the ABS sensor out from the inside with a punch, and put in the new one. Then I did the ABS reset steps and the VSA reset steps. Lights are now OUT.

John, you quite possibly were right. Others who mentioned the ABS sensor might have been right. Thank all of you. For $34 for a sensor and an hour of time, I am just happy to move past this.

As to the rear control motor (rear): $150? I don't think I will waste my cash on that. It blows cold air and the kids aren't complaining about where it is blowing from. It must be stuck in a position they like. Maybe I will try to disassemble it, clean it, and apply lithium grease if they start complaining.

·
Registered
13,424 Posts
Yeah, I cleaned my rear control motor and it worked for a while but then stopped working again. It always blows air back there somewhere, you just can't adjust it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts