Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Do a full scan with a scantool. You'll be surprised how many codes the computers store.
Where would be a place I could get one of those scanners that can do a full scan? And how can I know that any given scan device can do a full scan? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Where would be a place I could get one of those scanners that can do a full scan? And how can I know that any given scan device can do a full scan? Thanks.
The bluedriver by lemur is the best bang for your buck scantool.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Get the Foxwell NT-510. It is on sale now for $129. This is a bi-directional scan tool. Be sure to order it with the Honda software installed. You can later add other vehicles to it for a fee.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Get the Foxwell NT-510. It is on sale now for $129. This is a bi-diretional scan tool. Be sure to order it with the Honda software installed. You can later add other vehicles to it for a fee.
Or that too. I find using my bluedriver often as it's easier than the foxwell.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Update...

I received the bluedriver code reader this morning and after doing a complete scan and resetting the 8 stored TPMS codes, I am now happy to say the VSA OFF button now turns off the VSA like it's supposed to. Thank you @MrRangerZr1 for recommending the code reader! Hopefully those TPMS codes will not return, only time will tell. But for now, all is well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Another update...

I spoke too soon on claiming victory over this issue (figures huh?). After a bit of driving, the VSA OFF button lost its functionality so i performed another scan.

The TPMS codes that came up were 32, 34, and 38, which are Front Right, Front Left, and Rear Left Tire Sensor Transmission Failure codes. This is the culprit as resetting those codes again restored VSA OFF functionality.

Okay, so now that I know the 3 of the 4 TPMS sensors are the issue, where do I go from here? Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can offer.

·
Registered
12,701 Posts
Most likely the batteries are dead in those sensors. I'm surprised you don't have a "TPMS" light/message on the gauge cluster. The batteries in the sensors are only good for 7-10 years tops. Then you have to replace them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Most likely the batteries are dead in those sensors. I'm surprised you don't have a "TPMS" light/message on the gauge cluster. The batteries in the sensors are only good for 7-10 years tops. Then you have to replace them.
I'm also surprised that I don't have a TPMS light on in the cluster too. Won't come on with the key turned on, or even in that gauge/light test mode it wouldn't come on.

I'll have to see about getting the sensors replaced if that's the only option to get the VSA OFF button properly working again.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Buy genuine Honda TPMS sensors from Bernardi or Majestic. They are cheaper than aftermarket sensors. It is normal for the batteries to die after 6-8 years.

·
Registered
12,701 Posts
Are you 100% sure you have a functioning TPMS system? If you let enough air out of a tire do you get a low pressure light? There are two different TPMS lights. One is the low tire pressure light which is a tire with an exclamation point in it. The other says "TPMS" and comes on if there is a problem with the system. I have read where people disable the system and then either disable the "TPMS" light or fill the hole with black silicone, or even just black electrical tape over where the light would be. If someone removed the sensors it would light just the "TPMS" light. The "TPMS" light doesn't come on with the key on for the regular bulb check. You would need a bidirectional scan tool to turn it on.

I posted this 11 months ago....I thought you said you had all the lights. If you can't get the "TPMS" light to come on with the scan tool gauge cluster test or self-diagnostic then there is a problem with that light. Now, I'm not so surprised you have a TPMS issue.

Did you buy it this way? Makes me wonder if someone purposely removed the LED for that as they didn't want to replace the sensors.

·
Registered
12,701 Posts
Also, in addition to looking for the "TPMS" light, I also suggested letting air out of the tires to see if they triggered a tire pressure low light. Did you not do that either?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I posted this 11 months ago....I thought you said you had all the lights. If you can't get the "TPMS" light to come on with the scan tool gauge cluster test or self-diagnostic then there is a problem with that light. Now, I'm not so surprised you have a TPMS issue.

Did you buy it this way? Makes me wonder if someone purposely removed the LED for that as they didn't want to replace the sensors.
Anything could be possible... I guess I must have not fully known what I was talking about 11 months ago. Before we bought it, the Ody was in an accident and had been previously repaired... so who knows what could have been done when it was being repaired... probably had things apart and sabotaged the TPMS light.

Funny enough we have a chevy truck where the CEL won't come on with the key and also has codes that definitely throw a CEL... probably also a sabotaged bulb to cover up the issues it has.

Also, in addition to looking for the "TPMS" light, I also suggested letting air out of the tires to see if they triggered a tire pressure low light. Did you not do that either?
Nope, I haven't yet done that. Probably should do that and see what happens.

·
Registered
12,701 Posts
Ah, that's the back story. It wouldn't surprise me if didn't even have TPMS sensors in it.

You have the codes now so letting air out is pointless. Those three sensors aren't working. I'd replace all four. It may have started out a year ago with just one sensor battery dead. Now it's three dead sensors. In another month or two, it will likely be four.

I'd just replace all of them. You have to dismount the tires to replace them, or at the very least, break the bead and get in there to replace them. Then on all models but the Tourings, you need to program them in. It's a bit of a pain and requires some tools to do. I've not tried it with the NT510 but it might actually be able to program them in. It's helpful to have a TPMS tool that can activate the sensors, too.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Another update...

I spoke too soon on claiming victory over this issue (figures huh?). After a bit of driving, the VSA OFF button lost its functionality so i performed another scan.

The TPMS codes that came up were 32, 34, and 38, which are Front Right, Front Left, and Rear Left Tire Sensor Transmission Failure codes. This is the culprit as resetting those codes again restored VSA OFF functionality.

Okay, so now that I know the 3 of the 4 TPMS sensors are the issue, where do I go from here? Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can offer.
Clearing the codes won't fix anything. This is why you have the scantool, now you know exactly was the VSA button doesn't work. When there is a problem with the TPMS system, the VSA can't be turned off.

Just replace the TPMS sensors and you should be good. If you don't need traction control off, just drive it until you need to replace the tires, then replace the sensors since the tires will be removed.
If you need traction control off or want to change the sensors now, do so. Up to you.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts