Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking through the forums for this but haven't found the exact problem.

I have a 2009 Odyssey EX-L with about 130k miles on it.

A few days ago my VSA light + exclamation point came on after merging onto a road. Stayed on until I shut the car off and turned it back on. The next day it did the same, once again it turned off when I restarted the car.

I drive my car a lot and am very steady on the wheel on our long straight roads. A few times during this period I had a sudden sense that the center of the wheel had changed. Almost like the crown of the road shifted to the opposite direction, only it hadn't. Maybe even 5" or so of shift in the center, but no additional play. It was so odd to me that I was worried there wasn't a solid mechanical link from the steering wheel to the wheels and pulled over. No light that time.

Then I merged onto a road by turning right again and while on the gas I got a sudden full actuation of the brakes with an obvious ABS buzz. It took maybe 15mph off my speed. When I got on the brakes it stopped after a second or so.

I have been searching around and found this:

The years on this recall are different however.

I've considered just unplugging fuses 17 and or 18 in the primary underhood fusebox to disable VSA but am unclear on whether other systems are connected to this as well. My TPMS light is permanently on due to missing sensors in the wheels so the VSA switch will not turn the system off. I drive very carefully so not concerned with lacking traction control in sunny Florida.

I'm guessing it may be the steering angle sensor and the change in the center point of the wheel was maybe the VSA lightly braking a single side? Which sensor/control module(s) are in this system? Anyone know? I'm seeing so far that each wheel has an ABS ring and sensor, and there is a steering angle sensor. Any others?

The mechanic that I sent it to said there are no codes of any kind and doesn't know what to do so the van is just sitting there waiting for my next move.

Anyone have any experience with this? Any help would be appreciated.

-Adam

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
With the steering wheel shift-off-center I would check for play in the suspension. Jack and support each side (or both) and with hands at 9&3 on the wheel check for looseness.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts