Honda Odyssey Forum banner

VSA light with grinding noise and feel in brake pedal when cornering around 40mph

1324 Views 8 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  WiiMaster
It’s been doing this for a while. When I’m using an on ramp and typically when turning right, I get a grinding noise and vibration in the pedal area. Almost like brakes that are shot, but there’s no issue with my brakes and a preliminary suspension inspection doesn’t yield any issues. This happens without me pressing the brakes as well. I tried searching and I don’t see this exact symptom with only the VSA light coming on. Any insight into what I should look for?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
It’s been doing this for a while. When I’m using an on ramp and typically when turning right, I get a grinding noise and vibration in the pedal area. Almost like brakes that are shot, but there’s no issue with my brakes and a preliminary suspension inspection doesn’t yield any issues. This happens without me pressing the brakes as well. I tried searching and I don’t see this exact symptom with only the VSA light coming on. Any insight into what I should look for?
Did you ever find a solution for this problem? I am having the same issue on a 2010 EXL.

· Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you ever find a solution for this problem? I am having the same issue on a 2010 EXL.
No I haven’t really followed up on it as the vans driveability hasn’t been affected. It almost feels like the brake is being applied and the pad is shot it’s definitely something in the rotational mechanism and there’s only so many things it could be.

· Registered
5 Posts
No I haven’t really followed up on it as the vans driveability hasn’t been affected. It almost feels like the brake is being applied and the pad is shot it’s definitely something in the rotational mechanism and there’s only so many things it could be.
Mine happens occasionally (once per week), and "seems" to happen when going 20-30 mph and taking a turn. Same type of noise. It must be the VSA is trying to adjust something for some reason, as usually the VSA and triangle with the exclamation mark comes on (usually the exclamation comes first). I guess I need a code reader to figure it out...One question - is your tpms warning on? I ignore mine because it has always been on, regardless of my tire pressure, but have read you can't turn VSA off if you get this warning...

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,263 Posts
Mine happens occasionally (once per week), and "seems" to happen when going 20-30 mph and taking a turn. Same type of noise. It must be the VSA is trying to adjust something for some reason, as usually the VSA and triangle with the exclamation mark comes on (usually the exclamation comes first). I guess I need a code reader to figure it out...One question - is your tpms warning on? I ignore mine because it has always been on, regardless of my tire pressure, but have read you can't turn VSA off if you get this warning...
Is it your low pressure light or your TPMS light? Two very key distinctions, the latter is unaffected by pressure and is usually caused by one or more sensors dying.

· Registered
5 Posts
Is it your low pressure light or your TPMS light? Two very key distinctions, the latter is unaffected by pressure and is usually caused by one or more sensors dying.
The TPMS light has been on for years, and never caused any issues. I honestly thought the TPMS was meant to be a low pressure warning. Or is it just the communications method for getting the low pressure warning from the tire? Regardless, I think in this instance, there is an error in the VSA system somewhere, and it might be exasperated because TPMS is not working. Just guessing here...

· Registered
3,178 Posts
The TPMS light has been on for years, and never caused any issues.
According to the Owner's Manual:
"(indicator comes on and stays on) If this happens, the system will shut off and no longer monitor tire pressure."

Font Parallel Electric blue Screenshot Number

My guess is that after 10+ years, the batteries have died in one or more of the TPMS sensors. To clarify your guess, "If.. TPMS indicator comes on, the VSA system automatically turns on even if the VSA system is turned off".
If you don't have your Owner's Manual, you can download it here.

Attachments

· Registered
1,811 Posts
So, VSA light turns on briefly? Did you try to retrieve DTC to see if it is stored?

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,263 Posts
The TPMS light has been on for years, and never caused any issues. I honestly thought the TPMS was meant to be a low pressure warning. Or is it just the communications method for getting the low pressure warning from the tire? Regardless, I think in this instance, there is an error in the VSA system somewhere, and it might be exasperated because TPMS is not working. Just guessing here...
There are two TPMS lights. The light that says TPMS and the other light for low tire pressure. Guessing you have the former.

You probably do have at least one dead sensor, possibly all of them. VSA cannot be turned off with a TPMS issue.

Reactions: thscott
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.