Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had issues with the VSA system on my 05 Touring. It started a few weeks ago when for no apparent reason the system kicked in. Not having a clue what happened I pulled over and got out the manual and figured out the way to clear it was to shut the engine off and restart it. Since the engine check light stayed on I took it to the dealer and they had ot for a day or so. They returned it and all seemed well for a few more days.

Then it occurred again. And again. And again. Each time it was during low speed, dry pavement driving, usually as I let off the gas. Once it was during a turn into a parking lot at work and when the engine reduced power so quickly I ended up hitting a raised curb with the right front corner, smushing up some plastic.

After researching the forums here I printed the experience of a couple other Forum users and gave them to my dealer. The Service Writer called in the mechanic who worked on my van the first time I brought it in a few weeks ago and he recalled the issue and said he was unable to replicate it. They asked if they could keep it for a few days and offered me a rental on the dealer until my van was returned.

The mechanic said that he has heard that Honda has had some issues with the yaw sensor and he would check that carefully.

While I am happy the dealer sincerely wants to get the issue fixed I have a problem with the way the VSA system itself works. Why is it set to require one to pull over and shut off the engine to return to normal driving? Whose hare-brained idea was that!?!?!?!?!?

I am hopeful that there is a logical need for this. Why can't it be set to return to normal operation after the issue that initially caused it to activate is rectified?

Regardless of the design issue I hope to have my van back about midweek. Meanwhile I am driving an Altima from Enterprise. First time I have driven a Nissan since the days they were called Datsun... Not bad, but I actually prefer the wife's Civic!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got my Odyssey back last night and a new twist to the story came along. Seems that they put it on the rack for a visual and found oil stains all around the filter area. The dipstick check revealed a very low level, it was drained and they found that there was only 1 1/2 quarts in the engine and that the filter was leaking. This in turn caused the computer to start throwing codes, leading to the VSA problem.

I asked about the oil warning light and they said that that would only go on due to a loss of pressure, when there was no oil at all, and that is why the oil light never went on.

The dealer changed the oil and filter, checking for leaks, and reset the codes. They charged me for the oil change only, they took care of the rental car (since they suggested it to me) and the rest of the work.

I stopped by Jiffy Lube on the way home who did my last oil change and they are going to send me a check for the dealer's bill.

My only complaint is that the oil warning light should come on due to low levels instead of total loss of pressure. With a system so sophisticated that it can monitor tire pressure etc. they should be able to tell what the oil level is.

My dealer (Pauly Honda in Libertyville IL) has been great thru this, they will be changing my oil from now on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
OK, you had been driving around with 1.5 quarts of oil instead of the normal 4.5 quarts ! What did the dealer have to say about your engine life because of this. You may want Jiffy Lube to cover the cost of an extended warranty like HondaCare.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, that's in the works too....

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question...I completed an oil change yesterday on my 2013 Odyssey. I did it in my driveway, and used my ramps like always. I drained the oil from the pan, re-secured a new pan bolt because the old one was stripped, replaced the filter, added 4.0 of the 4.5 quarts of 0W-20 oil. When I started it up to take it off the ramps the red oil can light came on, along with the yellow check engine. I put the remaining .5 quarts of oil in, then I drove it around for about 15-20 min and it drove fine. The lights are not flashing, but remain lit. I checked the oil and it is 3/4 of the way in the safe zone, it is the correct filter size and no oil is leaking. The van was about 190 miles overdue for the oil change. Any ideas as to what might be happening.? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
The light most likely came on because the new oil filter was filling up with oil so the oil pressure was low, for a few seconds. My guess, unless you mostly filled it with oil before you installed it.
4.5 qts is specified for a drain and fill and new filter. (4.2 qts without filter)
I am not familiar with the MM stuff, but you probably have to reset it when you do your own oil change.
Check the oil level properly , look it up, and fill it to very close to the top level, even a 'little' high doesn't hurt.
Buffalo4

1 - 6 of 6 Posts