Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help from you guys with navigation systems. Apparently, I'm missing something called a Vehicle Speed Pulse (VSP)sensor. It used to detect the speed of the vehicle when it's moving. It's also the thing that switches the Map Guide to the more detail Guidance Map.

It's located on the right side of the engine, under the pink brake fluid and it's near 1 large golden bolt and a 1 blue bolt.

There should be a grey colored harness sticking upwards out something. In my pictures the VSP is supposed to be mounted on the metal plate with 4-5 holes.

I basically need know where the grey harness leads to. Is it a part of the main wire harness in the engine? Or is it a totally separate wire? Here's the pics:

http://nemogira.com/odyssey/VSP/VSP.htm

Thanks in advance,
-Nestor

·
Registered
92 Posts
First of all I have the same open bolt hole as shown in your second picture. Wasn't really able to identify the VSP unit. I did locate a single wire harness that runs from the area you describe to behind the battery. Here this wire harness has 2 couplings before going forward to the firewall. One coupling mounted to the fender wheel well and another behind the battery.

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have the Helm Electric Troubleshooting manual? It has a picture of the VSP in there but it's too small to distinquish what it really looks like. I pretty much just guessed where it MIGHT'VE been located. I guess I need to keep looking. Hmm...anybody else have any ideas?

-Nestor

·
Registered
276 Posts
I don't have Nav., but I know that Odyssey has one speed sensor which is inside the transmission. The connector of the sensor is located next to the 3rd clutch pressure switch. In my '99 ETM, the picture of the connector is shown on the second page of Component Location section, picture number 11 - Underside of Vehicle, Front of Transmission.

You might want to check your ETM to see if it shows the same thing.

-Harry

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Judging from the pic and description, the VSP is on top of the transmission, but I can't find it either. If you do locate it, let us know where you found it.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Nestor, I just took and posted a half dozen close-ups of the area in question. If you can identify the part you need info on, copy the pic and indicate on the pic what you need and I'll see if I can follow it to whatever you need.

They're posted under "VSP Sensor". Good luck.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
276 Posts
Nestor, I found it. On my manual it's called Countershaft Speed Sensor, it's on one of the pictures that you first posted.
It's the connector that has number/letter on it next to the bolt:

Why do you need to find?

-Harry

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
The Helm manual scan that he posted shows the sensor at a different location, that's probably where the confusion is.
Also, I am guessing that the Nav. conversion that he did requires outpout from that speed sensor to feed the Nav. unit.
Take a look at the Service Manual in Automatic Transmission section, there is a diagram titled PCM Electrical Connections that shows the relationship between Automatic transmission and the PCM.

PCM CONNECTOR A (32P)
Terminal Number: A9
Signal: VSS OUT
Description: Vehicle speed signal detected from countershaft speed sensor, and sent to speedometer and odometer
Measuring conditions: Depending on vehicle speed: Pulsing signal

I am betting that's the one he is looking for, he probably need a "Y" type of harness to connect the output to the Nav. unit.

-Harry

[This message has been edited by hgani (edited 06-30-2001).]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
My son-in-law and I found the sensor. On the NAVI, facing the engine, if you dropped a plumb line off of the driver's corner of the top cover of the engine and then looked a couple of inches to the left and to the rear of where the plumb touched the engine, you'd find the sensor. It's actually more on the back of the trans than what's depicted in the other pics.

I'm trying to get a pic of it, but this one's a tuffy.

The bad news is that I can't trace the wiring harness from it.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
276 Posts
That would be the Mainshaft speed sensor, the ETM manual has a picture of it taken from underneath the car.

Nestor, does your ETM have a page that shows a schematic of the VSP and the NAV unit? If it has and if you could scan and posted, we might be able to help you better.

-Harry

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Nestor & Chuck, take a look at the Service Manual in Body Electrical section under Connectors and Harnesses subsection. You can see all the sensors connectors in the engine and where the harnesses connected.

Nestor, since you replaced the Dashboard Wire Harnesses A and B, and since you are looking for the VSP connection, I assume, you have an unconnected connector for it, is that right? The section I mention above should help you determine where it sould be connected to.

-Harry

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
I compared your picture with Chuck's picture number 5, they look the same picture with different camera angle.

I don't think you are missing any sensor, you probably need to replace another harness to obtain the output for your Nav. unit. Most in-car Navigation unit uses the speed sensor along with the gyro and signal from reverse switch and brake switch to determine car position when signal from satellites are not strong enough or not available such as driving in area with high rise buildings or wooded area.

-Harry

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Harry, how can you say he's not missing a sensor when my NAVI has the sensor and his (originally) non-Navi has none? There still seems to be some confusion here.

P22-316 shows the VSP definitely in the NAV System. That sensor isn't present in any other system.

------------------
Chuck

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 06-30-2001).]

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Harry, I think that plate with the black bolt (in my picture) is where Chuck's VSP sensor actually is. Mine seems to be covered up.

And yes, based on the Helm manual, I would probably have to replace YET another wire harness. Yikes!
I'm still having nightmares about the last 2 swaps. I don't know if I could go through that again. Plus those harness are EXPEN$IVE!

One possible alternative (I hope) is to research on Alpine's aftermarket navigation systems. The latest DVD unit comes with it's own Vehicle Speed Sensor. My question is how do I incorporate it with the Honda's?

-Nestor

·
Registered
276 Posts
I am sorry, you both are right, Nestor is missing the sensor.

Chuck, I don't have the same Service Manual as yours, so I couldn't reference your information on the page.

Nestor, are you saying that "Mod God" is giving up, after all the works that you've done???

-Harry

1 - 20 of 39 Posts