Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously considering adding a JVC NT3HDT to my wife's 2006 EX, but doing my homework I'm starting to think there is not a VSS (Vehicle Speed Signal) wire available to tap.

There are some good threads on the site about adding afermarket NAV units and some of them identify a BLU/WHT wire either at the PCM or on a blue connector down on the parking brake bracket. One user even jammed a wire into the empty pin location at the PCM and evidently got it working which somewhat surprises me. Our 2006 EX also doesn't have the pin location (A29) populated and I suppose I could try working a wire in there although I'm not even sure the VSS pin is active on the PCM. All that said, just wondering if anyone has had success on an 2006 EX finding a VSS wire? If there isn't one, I'm kind of wondering how the speedometer gets its signal.

Still kicking myself for not getting the NAV/RES model.....

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish it was.....

Yep. Already saw that thread and thought I mentioned that I didn't have a BLU/WHT wire at the PCM or the parking brake bracket. I'm thinking the difference is between EX and EX-L models(and higher).

Still looking for a different way. How does the speedometer get its signal, for example?

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
I doubt there is wiring difference between an EX and EX-L. Try harder to find the plug they have pictured.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure about that....

dvpatel said:
I doubt there is wiring difference between an EX and EX-L. Try harder to find the plug they have pictured.
I have already found the plug pictured and examined it closely several times before I started posting. If you look at this thread (See ETM PCM pins link) Roborat showed the wiring connector for a 2008 which shows a difference between the LX/EX and EX-L/Touring. Also, in other threads there were people who similarly couldn't find the BLU/WHT wire either on that connector.

My personal guess is that the VSS is there on EX-L and above to handle NAV or Autolock(?) on the higher end models. But, I only have the EX to look at which is the reason for my post.

So, dvpatel, have you seen anyone with an EX or lower that has been successful in connecting to VSS?

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
Re: Not sure about that....

jbuddy said:
I have already found the plug pictured and examined it closely several times before I started posting. If you look at this thread (See ETM PCM pins link) Roborat showed the wiring connector for a 2008 which shows a difference between the LX/EX and EX-L/Touring. Also, in other threads there were people who similarly couldn't find the BLU/WHT wire either on that connector.
I know of that thread/post. Roborat sent me the electrical diagrams to host. But that's for a 2008 and there were quite a few wiring changes in the 2008 model.

jbuddy said:
My personal guess is that the VSS is there on EX-L and above to handle NAV or Autolock(?) on the higher end models. But, I only have the EX to look at which is the reason for my post.
Your guess would be wrong in the case of autolock because in 2005 and 2006, there was NO Autolock. Autolock was a new feature of the 2007+ model. If I am not mistaken, in 2005 and 2006, only the Tourings have programmable autolocks. You might be right about the NAV though.

jbuddy said:
So, dvpatel, have you seen anyone with an EX or lower that has been successful in connecting to VSS?
Nope I haven't. All the posts I remember reading were for EX-Ls if I am not mistaken. There are prior gen folks who did install the in-dash NAV but those wouldn't appy to you.

Perhaps you can post the details when you get done. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I'd like to post success but unless I missed something in the service manual, I may be out of luck. Unless someone here comes to the rescue... :D

Agreed that all the VSS posts I've seen were for EX-L and above.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I believe there is one for the sliding doors.

Let me look for that thread.
Edit:
So i couldn't really find any information, but i am pretty sure that you have a vss somewhere (obviously)
take a look at this thread
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45810&highlight=power+sliding+door+mod
it's to d enable you to open doors while still being in gear, however, if you're still in motion, the door will not open/start to beep if closing. I don't have the electrical manual so i can't look it up but i think there might a vss there. (could it be that nice pink wire in the 5th picture?it's the dashboard harness connector?)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the info on the door mod and possibility of VSS there.

I looked in the service manual and it looks like the door controller doesn't even take a speed sensor input, but I'm not sure that VSS would be there even if it did. Same reason I'm thinking there is no VSS going to the speedometer. It's all controlled by messages over the F-CAN (Fast Controller Area Network) or B-CAN (Body Controller Area Network). The F-CAN and B-CAN link to each other through the Gauge controller.

Interestingly, here are the conditions for a sliding door to open in automatic mode:
1. Main switch must be ON
2. If Ignition is OFF, shift lever must be in Park.
3. If Ignition is ON, shift lever must be in PARK or in Neutral with Brake depressed or park brake on.
4. Door unlocked and gas fill door closed (driver side)

No vehicle speed mentioned at all. Also, the circuit diagram has no VSS but has a connection to the B-CAN for the brake information I assume.

In the 2006 manual, the only thing I can find so far that uses the VSS from the PCM is the NAV unit so since the EX isn't wired for NAV, the VSS isn't available best I can tell.

There may be other ways to sense vehicle speed like from the AT output shaft sense or the ABS wheel sensors but I would doubt they use the same signal format. Only last thing I'm going to check is if the PCM's are different between models - I'm trying to see if the VSS pin on the PCM would be functional even though it's not wired.

Edit - just checked and the PCM is different between the LX/EX trims and the EX-L and above trims so it's quite possible that the VSS wouldn't even be active on the PCM. Seems like it will save a lot of headache to just forget the VSS for now. Hopefully, the JVC Nav unit won't complain too much with intrusive warning messages since it's really optional anyways.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Output shaft speed sensor?

Ok, just wondering if any electrical experts here would know if the Output Shaft (Countershaft) Speed Sensor would work as a replacement for VSS. The best I can tell, this is what the PCM would use (and maybe just retransmit) for the VSS line. On the 2006, this wire is BLU and located at B40 on the PCM.

Edit - I'm starting to think I'm getting too deep into this. I just found an article that says the raw speed sensor signal from the transmission output sensors used to be converted to a square digital pulse in the sensor but later models let the PCM do the conversion - so it may be a bad idea to even try it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Solution!

Got this to work. Check out this thread for more info.

[Edit: There are some issues with this on this head unit. See referenced thread for more info.]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts