Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Odyssey EXL. The left VVT solenoid is leaking oil onto my alternator and causing it to burn out. It's already taken out two alternators. I need to fix the problem. I have talked to a few shops and they say you can't just replace the gaskets because it always still leaks, you have to replace solenoid itself. Which is considered the front spool valve assembly. I don't see why it would still leak if I buy Honda gaskets for it. It's only like a 30-minute job and it's on top of the engine. The shop wants like $450 for an aftermarket assembly and labor. The gaskets through Honda are like $20. Any advice is would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Here is the how-to video from a guy on this forum:

Easy job.

I'm not sure you can actually buy the gaskets through Honda. I bought mine off of Ebay and they worked great. I put a very light coat of Permatex gray on them, but that's probably a dumb thing to do around the VTEC solenoid!

2010 Odyssey EX-L

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I have a 2010 Odyssey EXL. The left VVT solenoid is leaking oil onto my alternator and causing it to burn out. It's already taken out two alternators. I need to fix the problem. I have talked to a few shops and they say you can't just replace the gaskets because it always still leaks, you have to replace solenoid itself. Which is considered the front spool valve assembly. I don't see why it would still leak if I buy Honda gaskets for it. It's only like a 30-minute job and it's on top of the engine. The shop wants like $450 for an aftermarket assembly and labor. The gaskets through Honda are like $20. Any advice is would be much appreciated.
gaskets are not available, but the entire spool valve is little over $160 (iirc) from honda dealers online.
What advice are you looking for? If you can do the job yourself, its 2 or 3 bolts and you are done.
If you are paying somebody, you cant call the shots.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gaskets are not available, but the entire spool valve is little over $160 (iirc) from honda dealers online.
What advice are you looking for? If you can do the job yourself, its 2 or 3 bolts and you are done.
If you are paying somebody, you cant call the shots.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No you misunderstand. I'm not trying to call the shots on pricing I was just trying to see if anybody has just replaced the gaskets and if it leaked for them afterwards. I can get the OEM gaskets through Honda or on eBay. Rather than buying the whole assembly which is like 180 bucks.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I just got mine ordered from ebay. $17 - it should be a pretty easy job by watching Mr.Ranger video. Mine is no leaking yet, but sweating instead. By changing this it should stop your leak. If you were able to replace two alternators this should be a walk in the park.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I just got mine ordered from ebay. $17 - it should be a pretty easy job by watching Mr.Ranger video. Mine is no leaking yet, but sweating instead. By changing this it should stop your leak. If you were able to replace two alternators this should be a walk in the park.

As long as you understand that these are fake.

·
Registered
540 Posts
As long as you understand that these are fake.
Didn't know, I know that there are some generics on ebay...but hey let's hope for the best. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Didn't know, I know that there are some generics on ebay...but hey let's hope for the best. Thanks for the heads up.
Those part numbers don't exist in Honda Database, try any dealer online or call your local dealer.
Most parts advertised as Honda/Toyota/Ford/etc that are not sold by dealers, but sold by some 3rd party sellers en-mass on ebay/amazon are fake.
Search threads on this board for Fake NGK plugs.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Those part numbers don't exist in Honda Database, try any dealer online or call your local dealer.
Most parts advertised as Honda/Toyota/Ford/etc that are not sold by dealers, but sold by some 3rd party sellers en-mass on ebay/amazon are fake.
Search threads on this board for Fake NGK plugs.
Wow, I knew about the NGK fakes out there but not on the spool valve gasket. Good to know

1 - 11 of 11 Posts