Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Honda Odyssey which has been pretty trouble-free, about 62,000 miles. I was away for three weeks and the battery drained completely. I charged it up overnight with my neighbor's charger. Battery took about half a charge. When I plugged in the charger the alarm went off, but after putting in the navigation code it quieted down. The next day I drove off for an errand and the alarm light started flashing on the lower right corner of the dash, and the alarm went off when I stopped and opened the door to get out, but was silenced by hitting the door lock button on my key fob. Then on the way home there was no turn signal, no power lock, no outside temperature indicator, no low speed windshield wiper, no rear wiper, no fluid pump. Then I restarted and a few of those things were restored, like the power locks and the outside temperature. Since I was near the dealership I stopped by and they checked all the fuses - all were OK. Made an appointment, min. of $140 for them to diagnose Monday. Drove again today, Sunday, and outages come and go, even as I drive along. Saw a bulletin for a similar problem due to water damage. Although it rained while I was gone, no sign of water inside. Computer problem?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Have the battery tested. A weak battery will allow a lot of electrical noise and cause unpredictable problems.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I agree with William Wiles. Probably just a dead battery that was damaged during the 3 week storage. The battery was able to take enough of a charge to start the vehicle which would make you believe the battery is fine but it may not be charging properly and maintaining proper voltage to operate the electrical system.

I would suggest going to a car parts store like Pep boys, autozone, advanced auto parts, etc. They can test your battery without removing it from the vehicle. you just open your hood and they attach a battery tester to it. They will then let you know if you need to replace the battery or it just needs a good charge. The test is free and if you do need to purchase a new battery, they will probably have it in stock and can install it within 10 minutes and install it for free.

A replacement battery would probably also be a lot cheaper than the $140 diagnostic fee the dealer would charge. Should be around $80 for a new battery. Even cheaper if you purchase online from advance auto parts website and pick up at store since they are offering a 20% discount for all online orders.

good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had similar problems for the last month with my 05 Ody--loss of most electrical functions (wipers, air, no turn signals, low beams only, no door locks, no rear wiper, no radio, etc. )after a rain. A day later (sunny and warm) the car seemed fine.

This week, two days after a day of rain, week the door locks wouldn't work and the light for the right rear sliding door comes on and the interior lights won't go out. Last night, while parked a locked with a key, the theft alarm came on several times within an hour--really pissed off the neighbors.

Any ideas? I looked at A08-078 and done several searches and it seems like several folks have similar problems. Anyone have the theft alarm come on?

My car has 105K miles on it--always serviced at the Honda dealer.

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts