Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are many rumors abound about the upcoming 2003 Honda version of the highly popular Acura MDX. It's coming out for 2003 (Passport replacement), although I'm not sure if it will debut in the spring or fall. It sounds like the perfect vehicle--looks like an MDX, but 8 inches longer, seats 8, same 240hp V-6 as in the Odyssey!! <font color=red>By the way, if you have more info or pics, please post them.</font>

The downside is, I imagine that there will be stronger demand for this than even the Odyssey or MDX, so the dealers may REALLY price gouge on this one.
I'm not sure what MSRP will be, but I imagine it will be close to the Odyssey's.

Are any of you Ody shoppers hesitating, with anticipation of this vehicle coming out? Personally, I can hardly stand the wait!

DECISIONS, DECISIONS!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
So far, the supply of Ody's has not met the demand. With The new Alabama plant open, this should change. I expect the new SUV will also be assembled in this plant. And if not, the Canada plant will be able to up production of SUV's by offloading the Ody's to Alabama. This may relieve the gouging (a little).

·
Registered
9 Posts
A Honda salesperson told me that the new SUV will be produced at the Canada plant. All Odyssey production will be shifted to Alabama.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check out this thread. I also have asked some of our Honda sleuths that were able to find out info on the 02 Ody long before anyone else to keep their ears peeled.
Jerry
http://www.acuramdx.org
Look under general forums and look for Honda Version of MDX. There are 3 pages of pretty good discussion. It looks like it may be introduced at the Detroit Auto show in Jan.02 and ready for sale in May 02.

[This message has been edited by gman18 (edited 11-29-2001).]

·
Registered
37 Posts
WOW! Definitely looks interesting as an alternative to an Ody or any other AWD minivan with a great price point. Should be interesting how Honda markets it vis-a-vis MDX and Odyssey.

------------------
2000 Acura Nighthawk Black Pearl TL
1993 Ford Explorer

·
Registered
207 Posts
Okay, two questions:

1) I checked out the MDX and discovered that the center row seating is somewhat atypical in that the seats can split and **fold flat** into the floor. Is this true? I mean, I've really had my fill of the kiddie vault over the center into the third-row seat.

2) Any word on RES in the Honda version?

Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Guess Honda SUV is the MDX without leather. What's wrong with the MDX is the 3rd row seating. Its only good for two small children. Theres not much cargo space either. People get minivans to drive children or passengers around. People who have kids and get SUV don't want to admit that they are a family man. If you're going through middle life crisis, get yourself a girlfriend and new sports car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The middle seat of the MDX does split and fold flat. But, it doesn't fold into floor like the Odyssey's 3rd row seat.

So your kids would still have to vault over something, but something flat
In fact, the 3rd row access is one of the things that stopped me from an MDX. It seems to be a 'very young family' car, meaning baby/toddler .

·
Registered
234 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HK_dude:
Guess Honda SUV is the MDX without leather. What's wrong with the MDX is the 3rd row seating. Its only good for two small children. Theres not much cargo space either. People get minivans to drive children or passengers around. People who have kids and get SUV don't want to admit that they are a family man. If you're going through middle life crisis, get yourself a girlfriend and new sports car.
</font>
Amen!

·
Registered
207 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mp:
In fact, the 3rd row access is one of the things that stopped me from an MDX.</font>
Thanks, mp! I just took the MDX off my list. Although the scheme is infinitely better than most other SUVs, the 3rd row would still not be as accessible as the Ody (or any other minivan for that matter). I'll stick to my original plans.

·
Registered
207 Posts
hondaboy: At 29 you have quite a few years before mid-life crisis hits. However, I believe you have to cease referring to yourself as "boy" once you hit 21 (depending upon jurisdiction). ;-)

LHOdy/HK_dude: know any girls that already have new sports cars? (I'm looking to save a step and a few bucks)

[This message has been edited by Homer (edited 12-09-2001).]

·
Registered
234 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hondaboy:
HK_Dude, LHOdy--
At 29, I still have a few years left before I hit that mid-life crisis, don't I?
</font>
Wasen't Jack Benny 29 years old????

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LHOdy:
Wasen't Jack Benny 29 years old????

</font>
<font color=blue>
<font size=+5><center>39</font></center></font>

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yessir....and quite dead. He was born in 1894 in Chicago and died at the age of 39 in 1974.

[This message has been edited by Homer (edited 12-10-2001).]

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Confirmed - All new for 2003!  Summer Release. Honda Pilot Press Release
Here is some "teaser" information.
- Model matrix includes LX, EX, EX-L, EX-L RES, & EX-L Navi.
- An optional accessory Rear Entertainment System will be available.
- The EX-L Navi will have an optional accessory Rear View Camera available.
Pictures of the SUV prototype will be made available in January.

FROM HONDANEWS--

Torrance, Calif. 12/13/2001 -- Honda will introduce an all-new sport-utility vehicle called the Pilot, scheduled to debut in the summer of 2002. A pre-production version of the new SUV will be unveiled at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit next month, American Honda Motor Co., Inc. announced today.

Designed and built by Honda, the Pilot SUV aims to redefine the segment by offering a highly versatile interior with up to eight-passenger seating capacity in combination with class-leading performance, functionality and features - including the largest passenger and cargo hauling capacity in its class. In keeping with Honda's commitment to safety and the environment, the Pilot will boast a full compliment of leading safety and low emissions vehicle (LEV) performance.

"The new Honda Pilot will deliver a new level of SUV versatility, performance and handling, and combine it with the comfort, quality and refinement that comes with being a Honda," said Tom Elliott, executive vice president of American Honda. "Following on the heels of the completely redesigned CR-V, the Pilot will give our customers two great new Honda sport-utility vehicles to choose from."

Featuring classic SUV proportions, an advanced V-6 powertrain and a sophisticated four-wheel drive system, the Pilot SUV is designed to deliver its occupants through all types of weather and road conditions in exceptional comfort, confidence and safety. Off-road stability and performance is enhanced by more than eight inches of ground clearance, short front and rear overhangs, a widest-in-class wheel track and a unique electronically locking differential mechanism.

Additional product, sales and production details will be released at a later date. For more information and images of Honda vehicles, please visit www.hondanews.com.

Here's some sketches!! http://www.vtec.net/news/items/921.html

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MORE INFO...

HONDA PILOT: SUV FORM, MINIVAN FUNCTION
Slated for introduction at the Detroit auto show next month, Honda’s new Pilot SUV was designed to “get the best of both worlds,” by combining the looks and AWD of a sport-ute with the eight-passenger seating, cargo capacity and overall “family-friendliness” of a minivan.  “People buying SUVs like the attributes of a minivan.  They just don’t like the image,” Frank Paluch, project leader for the team that developed the Pilot, told TheCarConnection.  Though it shares platforms with the upscale Acura MDX, the new Honda ute will be smaller on the outside yet roomier on the inside, with lots more of what Paluch called “stuffable storage.”  It will feature a less sophisticated version of MDX’s 3.5-liter V-6, and boast a 4500-pound towing capacity.  Scheduled for launch next summer, the Pilot will be built at the Canadian assembly plant currently producing both the MDX and the Odyssey minivan.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts