Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I think it's about time to say goodbye to our beloved 2000 Ody with 244K. Besides the two trans replacements (both covered by Honda), it has been a great vehicle and it is still running great now that I apparently have a trans maintenance routine that works.

I've put a deposit on a 2008 EX-L w/RES and 51K miles and plan to go inspect it and close the deal this Saturday. I just reviewed all of the TSBs listed in the sticky here and here are the ones that concerned me somewhat:

1) TC judder
2) Engine oil consumption on VCM engines
3) Air in VSA modulator (safety recall)

How concerned should I be about these items and what else am I missing? It is a Honda certified used vehicle, so there's a 1yr/12k warranty plus powertrain extended to 7yr/100K. Price is $19,900, so I think I would be doing pretty good for a certified one. I'd appreciate any advice on what to watch out for. Thanks!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, does anybody want to talk me INTO this? :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have the '08 EXL-RES, bought as a CPO w/ 30 miles.
I had some of issues that were fixed by the TSBs under warranty (see signatures).
Now, van drives just fine.
So if the price is right and everything in the car is good, then what else would make you not buy the van ?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'm not really expecting anything to change my mind on the van, but I guess I'm still a little bit scarred from needing two trans replacements on the '00. If there are no issues with the '08s that come close to the level of cost AND pervasiveness of the trans issues in the 2nd gen, then I'm good to go.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have a 2008 EX-L, no res, and read this forum daily. The only major issues for my Ody have been fixed with recalls, Air in The ABS modulator and the tranny shudder - it was also fixed with a recall that reflashed the software and changed shift points to eliminate the judder. It was issued at the same time as the brakes fix.

I've read all the TSB's and outside of those that became recall's none have affected me. My impression from reading this forum is that none were widespread problems except the soft brakes and tranny shudder. I would say the other two items that members complain about are the battery and tires, and those appear to affect all model years.
Overall, it appears the 2008 model year is pretty problem free.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks alot for that info. I'll be sure to get the dealer to show me the records of which recalls have been performed. Also, the '08 I'm looking at has a high VIN#, late '08 build date, so many of the TSBs don't apply to it...supposedly :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I made it home with the van on Saturday. Very pleased with it overall. Cosmetically, it's not a 10, probably more like a 7.5, but ok for the price. Mechanically seems very sound, although it is at the dealer today hopefully getting a small oil pan leak fixed under the CPO warranty. Also having them check for the TC judder as it may have a minor case. I'm probably just being paranoid, but want them to check it out while it's in there. It has not had the software update applied, so maybe they'll do that.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well, I made it home with the van on Saturday. Very pleased with it overall. Cosmetically, it's not a 10, probably more like a 7.5, but ok for the price. Mechanically seems very sound, although it is at the dealer today hopefully getting a small oil pan leak fixed under the CPO warranty. Also having them check for the TC judder as it may have a minor case. I'm probably just being paranoid, but want them to check it out while it's in there. It has not had the software update applied, so maybe they'll do that.
If they don't apply the software update for the transmission here is a copy of the recall letter that you can use to motivate them to do it.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Van still sitting at the dealer. HondaCare hesitated at first on authorizing the warranty work since the van was just sold as CPO three days ago. But they graciously authorized my local dealer to fix the oil pan leak instead of making me take it back to the Chicago-area dealer that I bought it from, although I wouldn't be surprised if they send the bill back to that dealer.

Local dealer also test drove with real-time scanner to check TC operation and determined all was normal. I wasn't getting the 25-40mph judder, but rather at steady highway speed which they determined to be the VCM operation. Thanks for the letter above. That looks like a recall for a vehicle that had an incorrect software update. My understanding was that the judder issue is merely a TSB, so unless the issue actually occurs, they won't fix it. Is that correct?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Van still sitting at the dealer. HondaCare hesitated at first on authorizing the warranty work since the van was just sold as CPO three days ago. But they graciously authorized my local dealer to fix the oil pan leak instead of making me take it back to the Chicago-area dealer that I bought it from, although I wouldn't be surprised if they send the bill back to that dealer.

Local dealer also test drove with real-time scanner to check TC operation and determined all was normal. I wasn't getting the 25-40mph judder, but rather at steady highway speed which they determined to be the VCM operation. Thanks for the letter above. That looks like a recall for a vehicle that had an incorrect software update. My understanding was that the judder issue is merely a TSB, so unless the issue actually occurs, they won't fix it. Is that correct?
EricW -

What do you mean by "I wasn't getting the 25-40mph judder, but rather at steady highway speed which they determined to be the VCM operation."

Are you having a vibration when driving at a consistent speed, say 65 or 70 mph? Or are you feeling a slight, quick vibration when the VCM kicks on and off?
I had the judder....and they replaced the TC. You can still feel when the VCM kicks on/off, which I am told is normal. It will never be seamless or noticeable. BUT NOW I get a steady vibration when cruising at a constant highway speed (say 65mph)....the car feels like it's hitting rumble strips or riding rough.

Just trying to see if we are experiencing the same issue..

thanks.
mm

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It doesn't sound like we're experience the same issue to me, but I'll explain mine a little further. When cruising steady at 70mph, for instance, I feel an occasional small jolt similar to the feeling of a TC unlocking/locking, but the RPMs don't move. The jolt sometimes but not always coincides with the ECO light going off/on. I am definitely not getting any kind of steady vibration.

Are you sure you don't just have some kind of tire balancing issue? Does it go away when you accelerate and the TC unlocks?

·
Registered
205 Posts

I think you are reading the recall wrong. Honda wanted those who already had the update to not ignore the recall and get it flashed again with the new update. I never had the update prior to the recall but ocassionally had the judder. The new software not only got rid of the judder but changed the shift points so that driving around town while it was snowing was greatly improved.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^ My bad, I stand corrected. My service rep did refer to the software update as a recall and he confirmed that mine already had the correct update. Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts