Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The head unit looks like it has provisions for a changer feed, the CD select button reads "CD/CHGR" or something like that. We'd put the changer under a seat because we obviously can't get it in the dash.

If it is possible, what are our options in terms of what kinds of changers we can get? Do we have to get Honda? Honda only has a six disk, which is allright, but bigger is better. If my step dad had his way, he'd get another 50 disk changer.

Any info? Dealer says no way, but I thought I'd check with the DIY gurus.

Michelle

------------------
  • 2002 RRP EXL-RES
  • 1995 Honda Civic DX Coupe
  • 1990 Chrysler LeBaron Convertible
  • 1987 Honda Civic Sedan
  • 1986 Toyota LE Van
  • 1967 Honda Dream

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
What did the dealer say "no way" to?

The Honda changer will install, certainly. I hope he didn't say no to that one...

Why not just get an aftermarket changer--FM modulated output, if necessary--that plays MP3 CDs? If you want hours and hours of music, that's the ticket.

Or an Apple iPod with an FM modulater adapter...seriously small and ludicrously easy to set up and use...

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What did the dealer say "no way" to?
The Honda changer will install, certainly. I hope he didn't say no to that one...</font>
I think he said that the head unit would not accept a changer. I didn't talk to him, so I can't be sure.

I'll pass the info on to my step dad.

Okay, now, which of the front seats can we put it under? We have an EX, will there be trouble putting it under the driver's seat because of the power controls? (I don't think it really matters where it goes, but just to be sure). The driver's seat is moved often.

Michelle

------------------
  • 2002 RRP EXL-RES
  • 1987 Honda Civic Sedan
  • 1986 Toyota LE Van
  • 1967 Honda Dream

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Michelle,
Out of the peripheral products that allow direct connect, with > 6 disk capability, your only options are the Kenwood 10 disk, or Clarion 12 disk. The Alpine 12 disk is Ai-Net, and not compatible with peripheral's adapters.

Of course, you can go with the FM modulated route as Adam mentioned, but I really think that's a total waste seeing that you already have CD changer controls and interface built in to the factory head unit.

I believe one of the other interface manufacturers makes an adaptor for Sony changers, and that would be another 10 disk option. Do a web search using pricegrabber and pricescan to find a CD changer package from one of these manufactures (adaptor and changer). You'll likely find it lower priced than the Honda option....

As far as mounting is concerned, I would think that any of these would fit under the driver's seat, but with these 12 disk models, you should really check the height of the unit to make sure it'll fit and not interfere with anything before purchasing. I can guarantee just about and 6-disk model will fit easily.

Good luck!

------------------
-SJ (former username: shinjohn)
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. The Honda 6 disk runs about $700 (choke) and we don't really want to go that route when there's other options.

I'll be sure to check the depth. JVC makes a 12 disk that's about the thickness of a 6 disk magazine (we have one in our 87 Civic). That would be wonderful, but who knows if it will work.

I think the head unit, DVD drive, and monitor are made by Panasonic. Do you think there's any way to get a Panasonic changer to work with it?

I don't know much about electronics, so I'll put my step dad on the case of finding out what will work.

------------------
  • 2002 RRP EXL-RES
  • 1987 Honda Civic Sedan
  • 1986 Toyota LE Van
  • 1967 Honda Dream

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have the Kenwood 10 disk. I have it under the passenger seat because I have the sub, but it would have fit (barely)under the driver's seat. I used 4 flat brackets from Home Depot to mount it. The Peripheral adapter works great, and I would recommend it over a modulated unit. The display on the factory head unit works with it (Disc 10 reads as Disc 0). and the radio buttons work to change discs. The only thing funky, is for discs 7-10, you have to press 6 then 1, 6, then 2, etc., which takes a little getting used to.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi bof58, can you tell me which model of the kenwood 10 disc you have installed and which peripheral adapter will match?
What is included with the changer? does it come with long enough cable? I guess the adapter will let the sterring wheel's audio control to work with the changer too, correct?
Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts