Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2004 Odyssey with 192,000 miles about 6 months ago. It was well taken care of and I have not had any issues with it until recently.
Five weeks ago I was slowly backing into a parking space when the idle became real rough and the engine stalled. Tried to restart it. Engine quickly turned over but just as quickly started a rough idle and the engine again stalled. After several starting attempts I stopped trying. This happened in the afternoon and the weather was hot but dry. After sitting overnight, the car started normally in the morning.
About a week later while pulling into a parking spot, the same sequence occurred. The car then sat for about two hours and then quickly started normally.
Took the car to my mechanic who after several days could find nothing wrong. No error codes. Since then the car has quickly started each time and drove normally...until yesterday.
Yesterday after leaving a McDonalds, the car quickly started but after going about 30 feet, the rough idle and stall scenario occurred. Was able to coast to a parking space. Again the engine would immediately appear to start but would immediately go into rough idle and stall. I had been in McDonald's about 15 minutes so the engine was still warm when I left. Let the car sit for about 30 minutes and attempted to start it. It quickly started and experienced no rough idle. Drove normally.
Today the same thing happened after it had been parked for about 25 minutes. Let the car sit for about 30 minutes and it started normally. Prior to that it would appear to start quickly but would immediately go into a rough idle and stall.
In every case the air temperature was over 70 and it wasn't raining. There was also plenty of gas.
The only thing that seems to be common is that the engine was warm and that the Odyssey started normally (no rough idle and stall) after sitting for at least 30 minutes. If the fuel filter was blocked I would assume it would not start after 30 minutes.???
At this point I don't have a clue and would appreciate anyone's comments or suggestions.
Fred

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Two possibilities come to mind. A dirty throttle body and/or idle air control valve. Second would be possibly an EGR valve sticking open.,

·
Registered
135 Posts
I had the same exact thing happen with my Integra (now with an '02 ody) and it was my distributor. But I know the ody does not have one maybe similar electric issue?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Bought a 2004 Odyssey with 192,000 miles about 6 months ago. It was well taken care of and I have not had any issues with it until recently.
Five weeks ago I was slowly backing into a parking space when the idle became real rough and the engine stalled. Tried to restart it. Engine quickly turned over but just as quickly started a rough idle and the engine again stalled. After several starting attempts I stopped trying. This happened in the afternoon and the weather was hot but dry. After sitting overnight, the car started normally in the morning.
About a week later while pulling into a parking spot, the same sequence occurred. The car then sat for about two hours and then quickly started normally.
Took the car to my mechanic who after several days could find nothing wrong. No error codes. Since then the car has quickly started each time and drove normally...until yesterday.
Yesterday after leaving a McDonalds, the car quickly started but after going about 30 feet, the rough idle and stall scenario occurred. Was able to coast to a parking space. Again the engine would immediately appear to start but would immediately go into rough idle and stall. I had been in McDonald's about 15 minutes so the engine was still warm when I left. Let the car sit for about 30 minutes and attempted to start it. It quickly started and experienced no rough idle. Drove normally.
Today the same thing happened after it had been parked for about 25 minutes. Let the car sit for about 30 minutes and it started normally. Prior to that it would appear to start quickly but would immediately go into a rough idle and stall.
In every case the air temperature was over 70 and it wasn't raining. There was also plenty of gas.
The only thing that seems to be common is that the engine was warm and that the Odyssey started normally (no rough idle and stall) after sitting for at least 30 minutes. If the fuel filter was blocked I would assume it would not start after 30 minutes.???
At this point I don't have a clue and would appreciate anyone's comments or suggestions.
Fred
The next time try giving it some throttle and see what happens. If it runs while giving it some gas then it is most likely the Idle air control.

·
Registered
13,499 Posts
Has the mechanic pulled the main relay and looked at the solder joints? You are right at the age/mileage that mine died. What happens is fuel is cut off. Once things cool down, the connection is made again and it runs. My son-in-law actually resoldered mine, but a new aftermarket one is about $40. This is a real common failure on older Hondas.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Has the mechanic pulled the main relay and looked at the solder joints? You are right at the age/mileage that mine died. What happens is fuel is cut off. Once things cool down, the connection is made again and it runs. My son-in-law actually resoldered mine, but a new aftermarket one is about $40. This is a real common failure on older Hondas.
+1 on Egads' suggestion. It does happen quite a bit, at least it sounds that way in this forum. Some just replace the relay (a little tough to get to) others remove it and look at the solder joints, Do a search on which joints are the most likely. Yes, the MAIN relay controls the fuel pump and it usually fails when it gets warmer.
Buffao4

·
Registered
13,499 Posts
When mine failed I just sat on the side of the road trying to figure out where I would have it towed...
Then it just started! I took the slow way home, making sure I could pull over easily if it died again. there.
My son-in-law, who works at a shop, brought me an aftermarket relay and also his solder kit. He fixed mine and I'm still using it a couple of years later. But I keep the new one just in case.

A tip: It can be easier to remove the "guts" of the relay and leave the case in place. It is really hard to remove the case and even the connectors with it up in there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When mine failed I just sat on the side of the road trying to figure out where I would have it towed...
Then it just started! I took the slow way home, making sure I could pull over easily if it died again. there.
My son-in-law, who works at a shop, brought me an aftermarket relay and also his solder kit. He fixed mine and I'm still using it a couple of years later. But I keep the new one just in case.

A tip: It can be easier to remove the "guts" of the relay and leave the case in place. It is really hard to remove the case and even the connectors with it up in there.
I appreciate the Main Relay advice. Managed to look under the dash and realized I had no idea where exactly the Main Relay was and what it looked like. Went to an auto parts store where I took pictures of the one they showed me. Looks like it slides into place but my back is not yet ready to look under the dash to see where it is and consider my options. Will likely buy one (about $60).

·
Registered
13,499 Posts
Along the back, that you cannot see, is a raised area on the case that clips onto the holder. Getting that clip pushed in to remove is quite difficult. Thus my suggestion to pry out the guts from the bottom. Definitely a job for a skinny young person...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
egads
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing