Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '05 Odyssey EX has developed what my wife and I would describe as a warm plastic odor after driving it for 10-15 minutes. After turning the engine off, the smell goes away. If I just let the Odyssey sit and idle (not drive it), the smell doesn't seem to develop. When I try to trace the smell, it seems to be coming from the engine compartment on the driver's side (around the battery/air filter area). If anyone has any suggestions of what to check, I'd greatly appreciate it. At this point, it is the only symptom the van has....a smell.

·
Registered
755 Posts
hmmm... if it smells like some sort of burning smell, then it can

be your engine leaking oil(just a tiny bit, since thats what

happened to our 07 cr-v) and burning while the engine is running.

But the description is kind of different from our cr-v though, since

it only happened when i acclerate in the cr-v. just to throw that

out there for you to consider :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by richysh hmmm... if it smells like some sort of burning smell, then it can
be your engine leaking oil(just a tiny bit, since thats what
happened to our 07 cr-v)
Thanks for your input. When I peer down to where the driver's side CV boot is, I see a component that seems to have some oil caked on it (see attached pic). Given the smell seems to only occur when the van is driven, and given that this area (where the caked oil is) rotates with the tire, could this possibly be an issue (leak?)? I would be interested if someone could look at their Ody to see if they have the same caked oil in this area also. I can see this component when I stand in front of the van and look down to the left of the battery...you can see the black CV boot to the right in the attached picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
755 Posts
i wish i can take a look at it, but i dont have the 3rd gen ody

anymore haha.. sorry!! im pretty sure someone will chime in

to help you out. Is your vehicle still under the warrenty?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Solved it...

OK, so I finally did what I should have done in the first place and looked under the van. I did look under the van and found a plastic bag melted to the exhaust system (see attached pic). Mystery solved. I guess I'll jack the van up tomorrow, pull off what I can and deal with the smell until the rest burns off. Learn from my mistake and check the obvious first.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
The exact same thing happened to me a couple years ago. I did see it there but did not try to remove it. The smell lasted a LONG time......probably a month of driving! So it's a good idea to try to get most of it off if you can.

Good Luck!

'05 EXL-RES
Slate Green

1 - 6 of 6 Posts