Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Touring, and the tailgate won't open using the exterior button on the hatch. I found this TSB regarding tailgates that will not open with the outside handle due to cold weather.

I live in Ontario, Canada, and the dealership is not keen on covering for the part replacement (Tailgate and Camera Handle Switch (2014-17 Odyssey EX-L Navi, Touring) 74810-TK8-A20). I would think it was a safety issue, since it is technically a door that could prove useful in an accident. I was not expecting this kind of repair so soon after purchase, with the van being only 2yrs old.

I was wondering if anyone in Canada had the same issue and if anyone was able to get it replaced/repaired under warranty?

TIA

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm not in Canada, but just had this done to my 2016 EX-L last week. Handle didn't work once it got cold, but of course the idiot dealer said it worked fine when they tried it in their (warm) shop after I specifically told them it's cold-related. After pushing and referring them to the TSB they ended up covering it under warranty. Did you point them to the TSB (print it out and take it in)? If they still won't do it, try another dealer or call Honda of Canada.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, PhillyOdy, yes I did tell them about the TSB, but they said that I'd have to pay out of pocket to have it repaired. Not looking forward to paying upwards of $400 for something that shouldn't be already malfunctioning. Prices for everything are much higher here in Canada. I'll be shopping around other dealerships to see if they can offer some kind of assistance without having to shell out so much $

Seems like there are many other Ody owners with the same issue:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply, PhillyOdy, yes I have told them about the TSB, but they said that I would have to pay out of pocket to repair it, which could easily cost +$400. Things are much more expensive in Canada, which doesn't help. I'll be checking out other dealerships in hopes that they will be willing to assist in this situation, because it is a relatively new van and things like that should not be needing repair or replacement so soon. Come on Honda, help out a loyal and valued customer!

Seems like there are many other Ody owners with the same issue. Here is another thread on the same topic, that I didn't see before posting my question:

·
Registered
444 Posts
How is that not covered under the warranty? Or is yours an early 2017 and out of the 3 year b2b warranty already? or past 36k?

Either way, if you have another dealership nearby, I'd try another one like others recommended. The dealerships all operate on their own, and some will avoid the less profitable warranty work when they have a steady supply of non-warranty jobs coming in. That's how it works in the US anyway.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a late build 2017 that we purchased late last year in 2018 from Honda. I'll be trying other dealerships. Hopefully they'll be able to help us out. Or maybe see a US dealership, since we're over State-side here & there. Doubt they would, since it's a Canadian vehicle, but doesn't hurt to try. I purchase my Honda parts from the US bc the price difference on most parts is crazy.

·
Registered
444 Posts
So what is their reasoning for not covering it under the 3 year new car warranty? Are you over the mileage?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They told me that it wasn’t covered by standard warranty. I purchased it as a used vehicle. Mileage is well under.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts