Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very soft car wash brush (on a broomstick) that I use to wash my vehicles. Did not hurt the finish on my former Grand Caravan and made washing very quick and easy. Is there a possibility of scratching the clear coat on my new Ody? Doesn't a brush allow the dirt to be floated off the surface rather than grinding the dirt in? Is a sponge/mitt/bath towel any better or worse?

I want to avoid fine scratches and swirl marks (duh!) so want to do the right thing.

Input most appreciated.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
If it's a soft brush, and you use it with plenty of soap and water, I don't think it would do any more damage than a sponge or a wash mitt.

Mel

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
It may put some very fine scratches down. If your Ody is a light color, they may not be noticeable, but if it's dark you'll probably notice an increase in the swirls in the paint.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Dont Do It!! It will leave fine scratches in the paint that will detract from the shine. Go to Target and get the softest towel you can find, then take it home and shop it up to use for waxing or washing. Or if your not into your paint much, just use the brush:( You can use the brush and not notice anything right away, but over time it adds up.

Try Zaino if you want the best shine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I really do not want to put down ANY scratches, think I will use a cotton towel as suggested. Zaino will go on next week.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Brush..

I used a brush on my honda motorcycle. The brush was made specifically for washing paint, and it left very fine scratches.... Never again, no matter what they tell me...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I brushed the wheels on my RES. I noticed fine scratches. I will only use a brush on the ties from now on.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I use device that looks like a dust mop with short threads. It's cotton and the handle extends so I don't need a stool to clean the roof. I used a brush on a Gallant I used to have for several years and didn't notice any scratches but it didn't get washed very often.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Heavens, don't use any brush to wash your paint. :no: The anal retentive detail enthusiasts at Autopia web community (of which I belong) generally recommend using a 100% cotton wash mit for washing cars. One brand commonly mentioned is Viking, may be available at Target and auto parts store.

FWIW - the general consensus from that group of experts is to dry a car with a good quality, clean, plush, 100% cotton towl that is washed without using fabric softener, or use a good quality MicroFiber towel (not those MF towels found at Wally World, K-Mart, etc). Because the ODY is large, I do use a California Water Blade (carefully) and towl combo. Ditto, it is recommended to use a plush, 100% cotton towel or MF towel for removing wax or polymer sealant (such as, but not limited to Zaino). Use cheap towels on the wheels, door jambs, etc.

Just my tin penny opinions for the cause. :hi:

Cheers,
-KCD-

1 - 11 of 11 Posts