Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So bummed... I put my key through the washing machine. It didn't go through the dryer though. I have it sitting in a bowl of rice to try and dry it out. Has anyone done this with an Ody key? How did it turn out? How long should I leave it in the rice? Any other brilliant ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
632 Posts
You can open the fob and it will dry quicker.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder if I have the right size screwdriver. Should I put it in the rice when it is open? I'm going to put my husband on the case of trying to open it... although that might be a risky move;).

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Because it's a Honda?? lolo
Nope... I've read that putting electronics that become wet in a bowl of rice helps them dry out faster.

Anyway, I took the key to the dealer today. They opened it up and replaced the battery and it IS WORKING (at least for now). :)

It was dry in the green board area b/c that part is sealed. I wonder though if the individual buttons are sealed? I'm wondering if water got into that part. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it.

My key washing experience -

2000 VW "switchblade" style key - washed and dried 3-4 times and it was fine...it was not fine after leaving it in my pocket and getting into a hot tub for a 30+ min soak :)

2008 Nissan "smart key" style key - washed and dried once, didn't work for about a day then was fine.

2006 Nissan key fob - washed and dried a couple of times, generally 'wet' from outdoor activities several times (this is a truck key) - works fine, still in service.

2011 Honda Ody. key - washed/dried about a week after we got it...no problems at all, took it right out of the drier and tried it out, still was fine.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Your keys seems to be part of laundry list.

·
Registered
16 Posts

2000 VW "switchblade" style key - washed and dried 3-4 times and it was fine...it was not fine after leaving it in my pocket and getting into a hot tub for a 30+ min soak :)

2008 Nissan "smart key" style key - washed and dried once, didn't work for about a day then was fine.

2006 Nissan key fob - washed and dried a couple of times, generally 'wet' from outdoor activities several times (this is a truck key) - works fine, still in service.

2011 Honda Ody. key - washed/dried about a week after we got it...no problems at all, took it right out of the drier and tried it out, still was fine.
I don't wash my car this often.

Have you considered getting a fanny pack?

Well I'm glad we have an expert in this field among us.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts

Don't want to know what else you find in those pockets *after* doing laundry ("oh look, a bubble gum!" :p)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Don't want to know what else you find in those pockets *after* doing laundry ("oh look, a bubble gum!" :p)
I have a habit of tossing my pants on the dresser when I change after I get home for the day. My wife has a habit of moving these to the hamper and/or starting a load of laundry.

Also on the list of things I've washed would be:
Money - many times, paper money holds up just fine
Bullets - I know I've washed countless .22's and a few 9MM, .380, .45, 357
Shotgun shell - the crimp can/does come open and you DO get shot everywhere.

Oddly enough, I've never washed a cell phone and don't think I've washed a leather belt, but the little stuff seems to get in there pretty often.

I doubt a load of laundry gets done w/o change ending up in the lint trap too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts