Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I observed water inside backup light assembly on my 2010 Odyssey especially after heavy rain. I do plan on removing them so I can clean the inside then find/seal the leak. Anyone else ever experienced the same issue also?

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
This is a very common problem. Some people simply drill a small hole in the lower corner to drain the water out.

·
Administrator
14,917 Posts
There is a TSB for this issue. It doesn't technically cover the 2010 but I'd definitely perform it if they're getting water in them.

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/A09-080.PDF
Please do not directly link the TSBs. If/when we have to move servers, it is a nightmare to get all the links updated. I would appreciate it if you only link the TSB thread and ask the users to refer to the TSB Number in that thread.

A few years back, it took us weeks to get all the links updated when my hosting service went belly up and I moved providers.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
This just happened to me last week. So this posted at the right time as today I was going to take it apart to see if I could fix it. Thanks for posting the tsb so now I can fix it right.

·
Registered
191 Posts
our 2007 touring has water in passenger side tailgate light assembly after heavy rain. replace the assembly (the assembly come with a new gasket) and no more water. not sure if it is the gasket but no visual crack on the housing of the old one, I did nothing on the TSB.

·
Registered
2005 EXL donated 243K ,2019sienna XLE AWD
1,125 Posts
our 2007 touring has water in passenger side tailgate light assembly after heavy rain. replace the assembly (the assembly come with a new gasket) and no more water. not sure if it is the gasket but no visual crack on the housing of the old one, I did nothing on the TSB.
If you lift up the rubber gasket of the old one you can probably see built up dirt clogging the drainage channels back side of the tailgate lamp. Clean that up and water will drain down and not back up to the lamp vent slits above the bulb.

·
Registered
13,549 Posts
Draining out the water is fine but the best fix is preventing it from entering. Start with the TSB above and if that doesn't work then go from there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had dirt clogging up the drain. I added some silicone to the top of the tail lights to form a gasket with tail gate, this way water running down back of tail gate does not enter the back side of the tail lights. I am not sure why Honda did not add a gasket there from the factory.

·
Registered
13,549 Posts
There's seam sealer. It just may or may not have oozed out like it did on the 2008-2009. I'd be very surprised if the issue wasn't present on the 2010, as well.

·
Registered
465 Posts

There's seam sealer. It just may or may not have oozed out like it did on the 2008-2009. I'd be very surprised if the issue wasn't present on the 2010, as well.

2010 honda odyssey with 236K on OD.

first pic is of seam sealer. Second pic is of the drivers side turn signal light. Third pic is of passengers side Turn signal light. Bottom is of passengers side tailight (on rear door).

On the hatch light, the gasket 9not pictured) has sen better days. Probably needs replacing.

2010 honda odyssey with 236K on OD.

First pic is of seam sealer. Opinions.

Second pic is of the drivers side turn signal light. There was no gasket and behind was dry as a bone. Was there originally a gasket there from the factory?

Third pic is of passengers side Turn signal light. There was no gasket and behind was dry as a bone. Was there originally a gasket there from the factory?

Bottom is of passengers side tailight (on rear door).

On passengers side tailight (on rear door), the gasket (not pictured) has sen better days. Probably (definetly) needs replacing.

Another concern is that water could be leaking into the inside (between the metal and the plastic trim) the rear door.

·
Registered
13,549 Posts
Looks like there's seam sealer there to me. Gaskets, including the gaskets, if any, between the light sockets and the tail lights can cause water intrusion, as well.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts