Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Filled water into our gas tank from a station that had 90% water in their tank. Tried to siphon the water out on my own, with no luck, not realizing it had an anti siphon device attached inside the nozzle. Does anyone know about this feature and what happens after trying to siphon? Does it now have to be completely replaced from the gas tank through the nozzle? Any other solutions to make it work again after this occurs?

·
Registered
166 Posts
anti siphon device attached inside the nozzle
Are you referring to the capless fuel filler? Inside the cargo area of the odyssey on the right side is a removable panel - there should be a funnel inside. No idea if siphoning works or not, but this is how you get inside the filler neck. If that doesn't work then you'd probably have to get a tow and the dealership should be able to drain the tank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you referring to the capless fuel filler? Inside the cargo area of the odyssey on the right side is a removable panel - there should be a funnel inside. No idea if siphoning works or not, but this is how you get inside the filler neck. If that doesn't work then you'd probably have to get a tow and the dealership should be able to drain the tank.

Used the funnel when trying to siphon. However, it did not work. Mechanic says that once the anti-siphon device is triggered you now have to replace the entire neck and gas tank. Looking for some other options.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I can’t say on the odyssey but anti siphon filler necks have been around since the early 2000’s it’s not a mechanical device that you can break. It’s just a baffle that stops a hose from going down the neck into the tank. I highly doubt your mechanic or that you did any damage.

·
Registered
2018 EX
2,398 Posts
MichaT, wouldn't the gas station be responsible for damages? You said they had a bunch of water in their large tanks?
I'm not a mechanic but not only will the water have to be removed from your gas tank but a complete fuel system flush will likely be needed. Anyone else have some thoughts on this?

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
4,962 Posts
MichaT, wouldn't the gas station be responsible for damages? You said they had a bunch of water in their large tanks?
I'm not a mechanic but not only will the water have to be removed from your gas tank but a complete fuel system flush will likely be needed. Anyone else have some thoughts on this?
If OP caught the issue before attempting to start the car then maybe they can get away with just removing it from the gas tank?

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
4,962 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Filled water into our gas tank from a station that had 90% water in their tank. Tried to siphon the water out on my own, with no luck, not realizing it had an anti siphon device attached inside the nozzle. Does anyone know about this feature and what happens after trying to siphon? Does it now have to be completely replaced from the gas tank through the nozzle? Any other solutions to make it work again after this occurs?
How do you know it was 90% water? I know underground tanks are prone to get water in them, but most gas station in their fuel monitoring systems have a water float installed in them and at a preset amount of water entering the tank it settles into the bottom of the tank and if water level exceeds the preset value, let's say 3", it will alarm warning the gas station attendants and if water continues to rise it will automatically shut off the pumps. This cannot be overridden by the station attendants, and the water has to be pumped out by a fuel recovery company and the water than is considered to be contaminated and needs to be handled by a contamination company.
Normally this water monitor is on the same riser as the fuel riser and located at the deepest end of the fuel tank. Manually they check the water level by verifying using a special green colored paste/cream that you would apply on the bottom of a fuel stick that is made of wood with inch/ft graduations for verifying amount of fuel that is in the fuel tank. If that green colored cream/paste turns red you have water up to the height of seeing green paste. This whole procedure is called dipping the tank and required by all fuel tank owners that sell any fuel. The frequency of dipping in the USA is mandatory by EPA every month and the EPA has a form required to be kept up to date. with amount of water that at that time is currently in the tank, also the amount of fuel left in the tank, plus they have the tank owners record how much fuel is added when the tanks are refilled to 90% fill level, all fuel tanks now have a ball float shut-off to shut off fuel flow in the tank to prevent his and an alarm on monitoring system will tell you have exceeded tank fill requirements, besides that the fuel delivery person will have fuel come back up through the neck and spill out over the top of the tank and they have to clean this up. No, you cannot fill the tanks to 100% due to the fuel heating up and cooling causing the fuel to expand and contract. That is also why you should not fill your gas tank in your car full, but when the gas nozzle shuts off fuel flow (don not try to top off the tank, it is what is engineered to do what it is doing and the space in your top of the tank that has air in it is called ullage. This allows the gas tank to stop filling in to much liquid and allow for the expansion and contraction of your fuel in your tank. I know many people believe that they should always top off the tank, but in the long run you are creating a huge problem for you vehicle.

I do not know how any company can give you 90% water, to me it is next to impossible and like other people said they are responsible to do the damage repair they did. If this was at a big company you could ask for a print-out of the fuell information, most of the monitors have what looks like a cash register tape the data will print out on, or some will use a dot matrix printer (needs to print line by line) and yes ttere are still printers made this way.

·
Registered
2018 EX
2,398 Posts
Good explanation, DJVAN. WiiMaster is correct. I would have ordered a tow truck and then sent the tow bill and Honda's bill to the gas station. In that case, a fuel system flush would likely be avoidable. Good thought.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was trying to not write a novel but the gas station had their tanks fill with water. That water was then pumped into my van and then driven 2 miles home. Called my dealership who thought it would take a week to get to, so was going to siphon and then add the additive so it would run again until they could get to it to replace everything. Clearly that did not work and now being told the nozzle, once the anti-siphon is activated has to be replaced along with the entire gas tank and will take another month. In attempting to avoid this, I was hoping that someone on this forum would know more about the nozzle and the anti-siphon device to offer other solutions and get my car back. Yes the gas station insurance is handling, but need the van back.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
4,962 Posts
The anti-siphon is not a "device" that gets activated. It is simply a physical block at the bottom of the filler neck that prevents you from getting a siphon hose into the tank.

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
@MichaT
Wow! I never have heard of anyone fill their tanks with water. If you say that is what they did, I'll take you at your word. The gas station should pay for a rental even if they think they would not have to. Rent a mini-van or a Suburban and let them pay for it. They cannot deny that it wasn't they're fault. How many gas stations would pump water on full tanks of water? Water doesn't cost $5 a gallon either. Sorry, I am probably venting with you...

·
Registered
2018 EX
2,398 Posts
Question MichaT: How did you drive home 2 miles with such a high ratio of water in your tank? You realize the implications, don't you? This means you could fill up 50% gas and add 50% water. This could be a whole new way to beat the insane gas prices 🤣🤣🤣. Eat that, Mr. Putin!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts