Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie at many things
including car speakers.

When I put in new Pioneers in the front, I noticed a few water droplets on the inside of the right door. Is this normal? I had just washed the car. Do I need to do anything special to protect the speaker or wiring? I saw no droplets inside the left door.

Thanks,

Maugham

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Yes, this is normal. The seal at the bottom edge of the window glass is not water tight. There are drain holes at the bottom edge of the door to let out the small amount of water that accumulates inside the door.

------------------
2002 TW EX; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels.
2000 Honda CBR 929 RR

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I assume you have cut your rain shields and are perhaps concerned about water damage to the speakers.

There has been discussion on the use of rainshields (pro/con) in this forum. I feel their effectiveness is marginal since they do not really seal up the back of the speaker from moisture. (if they did, bass response would be very much compromised, unless you did a custom fiberglass enclosure in the door) Anyway, my Ody has cut rain sheilds and I have not fabricated anything else to protect my investment.

I've installed lots of car stereos and used to live in Boston/Michigan too, where cold harsh winters are common. No problems with door speakers prematurely failing/rusting/etc... but I'm talking aftermarkets made from good materials (poly cones, rubber surrounds, finished baskets). Factory speakers made from paper with textile or foam surrounds are more susceptible to the elements, thus the "shields". Factory speaks that are of these materials always degrade severely over time, regardless of what you do...

To sum up: if you replace your door speaks with quality aftermarket's I wouldn't worry about it. If you are anal, make a new rain sheild, by all means, just be sure to keep the back of the speaker relatively open for the Pioneers and other common 6.5s because otherwise you will compromise bass performance.

Hope this helps.

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts