Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 98' Odyssey has developed a water leak. The rear compartment seat well carpet (the lowest point in the interior) keeps getting wet. It doesn't look like the seal around the rear hatch is leaking. Where else could the water be coming from? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kato

·
Registered
7 Posts
Search around a little more I believe someone mentioned hatch seal on right side it was not sealing tight and I think they used a plummer type putty to stop leak

·
Registered
37 Posts
Pull the panels in the cargo area directly behind the taillight assembly. There are 4 nuts (I think 8 mm) holding the taillight assembly to the body. Stuff a rag inside below the assembly to catch the nuts in case it falls then pull the taillight out. Change the foam seal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All, I have a 98 Odyssey, I am in NZ so mine is a RH drive. I have the water leak issue in the rear cargo area and have seen on threads that under the vehicle there is a drain of some sort that gets blocked. I've been crawling all under my Odyssey and cannot locate the drain, can anyone point me in the right direction to locate it, or do the 98's not have this. I do plan of replacing the tail light gaskets but thought I would check for this "Drain" as well. Any help would be much appreciated. I realise this is a very old thread but hey you don't know until you ask.

·
Registered
23 Posts
drain plugs?

I am also trying to check the drain plugs. I have removed the carpet but do not see anything that could serve as a drain. Please reply to thread if you figure it out. 96 Odyssey.

·
Registered
23 Posts
drain hole

I looked under car there is a hole which must serve as drain, center line. It does not pass through to inside of trunk though as there is a cap about 2-3 inches in diameter above it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The leak is caused by failed seals. $55 at dealer. Getting the lights off is a real pain. Needs 8 mm ratchet or short, but relatively deep, socket, not enuf room for a normal deep socket.. Best to take off the lateral rear trim piece, then pull away the side panels. Very tight space. Yes art foam is cheaper, but the fit is somewhat precise. I would NOT want to have to do this again b/c I USED FOAM AND CUT IT OUT BUT IT STILL LEAKS. BTW, one of the nuts attaching the assy also serves as an anchor point for a cable clamp. BUT it slides over the projecting stud and must be pried off. It's a tight fit and not much room to pry.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Let me tell you what I did for this issue. I got some flexible caulk sealant, opened the hatch, and just put it around the lights. Get colored sealant and no one will know the difference. Haven't had a leak issue for 5+ years now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Two main causes here:

- The material used to join the body seam in the area behind the bumper on the magic seat well is old and brittle or more likely, was not properly applied in the first place. Recoat with permatex along this seam, spray 3m on the outside.

- The rear lights. +1 for garykirsten for the sealant tip. Use black to match the lights and the next time it rains, you'll see how much water travels that way. I handmade silicone gaskets for the lights, still wasn't enough. Gary's method is the win.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got the same problem, just haven't gotten around to doing a hose test and seeing where it's coming from. I suspected the tailgate hatch weatherstrip, but thanks to yakuza I'll be checking out the taillight gasket, too. Did the original gasket just get old and hard/brittle over time? Seems some users are making their own. Anything wrong with replacing the OEM with another OEM one, the #4? My parts guy gave me a price of about $16 each, not bad in my mind. And I don't have to cut anything custom. Thanks again all...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was faced with this leak about five years ago. I determined that the rear taillight gaskets had gone stiff and were no longer sealing. Cheap fix: I swapped the gaskets side to side and reinstalled the lights.
Still good and leak-free today.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 96 and I have the same issue, except I see droplets of water coming out of the vent (that I assume is for heater/A.C.) on the driver side at the third row seat.
does anyone else relate with this, or know why that could be?
thank you.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Perhaps water infiltrating through the roof seam? Or as Odyssey185 posts. But the heater ducts are beneath the front seats and AC is the big bulky unit above the front seats. So any vent by the 3rd seat is most likely the one in the cubby to store the headrests, and is for air exhaust. So my guess is the driver side taillight gasket is the prime culprit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts