Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd appreciate someone's advise. I'm getting ready to do a timing belt job on my 03 Odyssey with 111K miles and considering not installing a new water pump, as recommended. I once had a new water pump fail at just 12K miles after a timing belt job. Isn't a new tensioner a better choice instead of a new water pump anyway?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Well it going to suck if you don't put a new water pump in during a tb install and 12k later you water pump fails. I would change it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kscha41 said:
Well it going to suck if you don't put a new water pump in during a tb install and 12k later you water pump fails. I would change it.
What about a new tensioner too? Thanks.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk? Do you think your water pump will live for another 100K? That is the big question.

You are correct in that you can also have a premature failure of a replacement part, but one has to balance this probability against that of the existing water pump failing which can take out the timing belt and cause engine damange.

Back when I drove old, easy-to-work-on 1970s American cars and I was young and single, I ran parts to failure. Easy to go down to the local parts store, buy a reman'd water pump for $30 and slap it on. So I got stranded along the side of the road a time or two - who cares? It was all part of the adventure of life.

Now, today, I do preventive maintenance, as the consequences of the van breaking down and stranding my wife and two young kids somewhere are too high (it can completely ruin a family vacation as well).

I replaced all of the idler rollers (still in fine shape), water pump (was seeping), and oil-filled tensioner (was leaking oil) when I did my timing belt. Crank and cam oil seals look to have been replaced already once so I didn't touch them as they weren't leaking. YMMV

The major issue is the labor involved in getting to the water pump which is a non-issue if you're already in there to replace the timing belt.

And buy the OEM water pump for around $100, skip the $50 ones, it's not worth the savings. Get OEM parts for the tensioner and idler pulleys as well.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
redmondjp said:
Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk? Do you think your water pump will live for another 100K? That is the big question.
Now that you put it that way, I think I'll replace all of it...especially when Dirty Redmond is pointing that magnum...

Seriously, I changed the tensioners (timing belt and serpentine) and water pump on my recent 98 Accord change. Will do the same with my 2003 EX coming up in a couple thousand miles. Honest. So now you can point that thing some place else.

OF

·
Registered
141 Posts
We recently found a independent shop for our Honda(s) that seem to know what they are doing and will tell you if they don't think the vehicle needs the work. Ie. the broken motor mounts the dealer told us needed to be replaced. "No, they are not broken and not leaking. We'll replace them if you like, but they don't need it."

Re. the water pump, they said they had never seen a water pump failure with the V-6 Honda engine and did not recommend the change. That is the way I'm going with the 2nd timing belt change - at 199,000 now on the 03 Ody. We will see-would like to take at least one car to 300,000. Got close with the 86HB

Original tranny, just some occasional oil changes.

PS. Try the TC-W3, it has been good for 2-4 mpg improvement on 3 vehicles, not to mention the better starting and other benefits.

·
Registered
665 Posts
x-sno snake said:
We recently found a independent shop for our Honda(s) that seem to know what they are doing and will tell you if they don't think the vehicle needs the work. Ie. the broken motor mounts the dealer told us needed to be replaced. "No, they are not broken and not leaking. We'll replace them if you like, but they don't need it."

Re. the water pump, they said they had never seen a water pump failure with the V-6 Honda engine and did not recommend the change. That is the way I'm going with the 2nd timing belt change - at 199,000 now on the 03 Ody. We will see-would like to take at least one car to 300,000. Got close with the 86HB

Original tranny, just some occasional oil changes.

PS. Try the TC-W3, it has been good for 2-4 mpg improvement on 3 vehicles, not to mention the better starting and other benefits.
Seriously, water pump is an extra 100 bucks max installed. It's made the same as every other cheap water pump. Well worth replacing.

·
Registered
141 Posts
G. is right. My 79 Accord had 40,000 mile water pumps - till the redesign and for all I know gm still makes 30,000 mile water pumps. If it helps one sleep at night or keeps that nagging feeling away on a trip, it's a very good investment.

I'm just curious now and want to know.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
knowmiddlename said:
I'd appreciate someone's advise. I'm getting ready to do a timing belt job on my 03 Odyssey with 111K miles and considering not installing a new water pump, as recommended. I once had a new water pump fail at just 12K miles after a timing belt job. Isn't a new tensioner a better choice instead of a new water pump anyway?
you sound like the guy who says, "I never wear seat belts--why, one time my parents were in an accident, and the steering wheel went right through the front seatback. If my father had been wearing a seat belt, he wouldn't have been able to move over like he did, and he would have been impaled and killed. Therefore, wearing seat belts is worse than not wearing them."

(true story)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just got my van back from the local dealer. They had a special this week on their website. $395 for a new belt, inspect the tensioner, seals, water pump, etc. I asked them to look at the motor mounts too. To my surprise, my '04 Ody with 105k miles did not need a water pump, seals, or motor mounts. I completely expected a phone call this afternoon that the sky was falling, and instead they said it was ready 4 hours later. Streater Smith Honda, Conroe, TX

The way I see it, it was inspected. Could the water pump fail next year, yes it could. But it should not. If it does, it will not cause further damage. I dont see it as cutting corners, if it isnt broke, dont fix it. Im going to take my Lexus in next week for a new timing belt as well. If it needs more work, I'll do it. But Im not going to get carried away with changing things that dont need fixing. I'll save that money for another good inspection next year.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Turn it around and ask them if they will garruantee the water pump until the next timing belt change.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
knowmiddlename said:
Just an update... I replaced the water pump even though it looked new and perfect after all those miles. There was no sign of any bearing wear or leakage. I also replaced both TB idlers, the tensioner piston, and the drive belt idler. There was significant bearing slop however in all the idlers and oil seepage around the tensioner seal. The total parts cost, including belts, a case of ATF, thermostat, upper and lower radiator hoses, and miscellaneous parts was about $750. I'm very happy with the the outcome. Even the air conditioner squeak went away when the compress comes on.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I don't think this has specifically been mentioned on this thread. The reason why it is recommended to replace the water pump when doing the timing belt is that if the water pump fails the timing belt has to be removed to get to the pump. That's a lot of labor, and therefore an expensive thing to do in order to replace a relatively low-cost part.

So while you're already paying the labor for the timing belt, just have the water pump done at the same time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Steve P said:
I don't think this has specifically been mentioned on this thread. The reason why it is recommended to replace the water pump when doing the timing belt is that if the water pump fails the timing belt has to be removed to get to the pump. That's a lot of labor, and therefore an expensive thing to do in order to replace a relatively low-cost part.

So while you're already paying the labor for the timing belt, just have the water pump done at the same time.
Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that a new water pump won't prematurely fail. This happened to me on a Nissan truck with a timing belt. On a second Nissan, with a timing chain, the water pump is still going strong after 185K miles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts