Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Does any one know how to remove water spots from the car windows. I recently bought an EX and discovered later that there are lots of water spots on the windows. I tried to clean it with all sort of different thing, but nothing seems to take it off. Please help. Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by robbio11:
Hi all,
Does any one know how to remove water spots from the car windows
</font>
Have you tried vinegar and water or straight vinegar??

Chomp

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Rain-X makes a product that I saw on TNN's Shadetree Mechanic (I love any car show). It's a thick white liquid with a very mild abrasive that you use to "polish" the glass. It cleans off the gunk. I use it after trips when the bugs are caked on the windshield.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried vinegar and it still doesn't work. I just got my van for 6 days. The Dealer's detailer tried to take it off and it still doesn't come off. What are my options? Is the Dealer liable for replacing my windows? What legal right do I have? Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
They're still there?? UGH!

I can't imagine a dealer wanting to replace all your windows for free, as I doubt Honda corp would pay the dealer under warranty. I don't know if the dealer would have any liability if you didn't notice the spots until several days after you took delivery, of course I'm not a lawyer.

It does seem odd though that a brand new car would have water spots on the windows that cannot be removed after only a couple of days. Maybe the dealer used some caustic agent on the windows during prep, screwing them up permanently and doesn't want to fess up to it. What does the dealer have to say for themselves?

As far as other fixes you can try, here is an excerpt on window care from http://216.147.22.29/forum/showthread.php3?threadid=213

"Cleaning Spotted Glass
Some parts of the country are burdened with extremely hard water. Hard water is water that contains excessive trace elements including calcium, iron, lime, and other minerals found in streams and rivers. These trace elements remain on your glass when water from sprinklers or washing air dries. These hard water spots attach themselves to glass like white on rice. If left on your glass for very long, hard water spots will not wash off with shampooing or regular glass cleaners.

In my experience, there are only two ways to remove hard water spots. The first is to use distilled white vinegar. If your water spots are mild, you can dilute the vinegar 2:1 with water. Heavy spots may require pure vinegar. Either way, the vinegar will not harm you or your car. Vinegar is a very mild acid, which dissolves the alkaline-based mineral water deposits with ease.

If hard water spots are allowed to remain for more than a week or two, they may etch the glass. So, even though you have removed the minerals causing the water spots, the spots remain as damage to your glass. In these cases, it is necessary to polish the glass. Until recently, there were a number of glass polishes on the market. The two best products were Eagle One Glass Polish & RainX Glass Polish. However, both of these products have been discontinued due to little demand.

In my experience, any light (low abrasive) car polish that does not contain paint feeding oils will work as a good glass polish. Eagle One Scratch Remover is a good example of a polish that does not contain oils and works well on glass, as does P21S Multi-Surface Finish Restorer. There are two ways to use these polishes. The most gentle is to use an old t-shirt to polish the spotted area and buff to full luster. The second is to use the polish with #00 or finer synthetic steel wool to remove the spots then buff with an old t-shirt.

If your glass is heavily pitted, or mildly scratched, you can also use polish to restore the finish. In this case, it may be necessary to use a buffer in order to achieve the desired results. In some cases, the glass may be so deeply pitted, etched, or scratched that the inevitable must occur, you must replace the glass."

Good luck!!
Chomp

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used to have this water spot remover from a glass shop...i forgot what it was called but you use it along with the finest steel wool and it worked very good....i think it also had very fine abrasives in it as well....

·
Registered
196 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by robbio11:
Hi all,
Does any one know how to remove water spots from the car windows. I recently bought an EX and discovered later that there are lots of water spots on the windows. I tried to clean it with all sort of different thing, but nothing seems to take it off. Please help. Thanks.
</font>
robbio11,

A number of people on this forum are using the Zaino products and have nothing but praise for the results. I copied this promo from their site. You may want to give it a try. Anyone out there tried the Z-12?

Z-12 CLEAR-VIEW GLASS POLISH

"Finally, a glass cleaner and polish that really works. We have yet to find a stain that it did not remove. Formulated with modified cleaners and mild abrasives, that deep cleans and polishes all glass surfaces. Removes acid rain, water spots, road film, stubborn stains, annoying interior glass film and fine to medium scratches. This product will remove plasticizing (the hazy film that attaches to the inside of the windshield on all late model vehicles) in one application. Leaves glass crystal clear and sparkling. You will think the glass disappeared. Will not scratch or distort glass. Great for restoring old windshields. Can also be used to clean chrome and metal surfaces. For hand or machine use. Not for use on painted or plastic surfaces."

------------------
Tom
2001 SS EX

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for your inputs. I used a fine steel wool and good window cleaner then it finally came off. I had to rub it pretty hard. It looks great now. Thank you again everyone
Robert

·
Registered
153 Posts
All my windows have water spots ( got 1 year back from New mexico appartment wash -I belive hard water) .

Tried Clay Magic: Spryed the solution and rubbed the clay . No luck

Tried #00 steel wool rubbing but no luck . Is there any specific methed I need to follow to use the steel wool . ?
Also do I need apply any specific wax/spary during steel wool rubbing ?
How long we need to rub it ?

Is work giving to any professional glass cleaners ? If so any idea how much it will cost .

All windows except rear and 3rd side glass are affected by water spot .

any help is appreciated .

Thanks
Vincent

·
Registered
44 Posts
My beater truck sits outside all the time with the sprinklers nearby. It is windy here and it gets a good soaking. My windows had the water spots that I left there for way too long. I tried windex, no luck. I tried waxing the actual windows then tried rubbing compound. No luck again.

What finally worked for me was a product called Bar Keepers
Friend. It really worked well.

But.... The active ingredient I believe is Oxcilic(sp) acid. It looks like comet and you should be able to find it at a local store with the cleaning supplies. I used it with a running hose and a scotch brite pad. I rinsed the car off as I was doing it to avoid paint damage.

So... It will probably work, but it is strong stuff so I don't want you to screw up your paint. Just another option to consider, but be careful!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have used the Zaino Z-12 and it works great....had all kinds of water spots on my windows. It took them all off easily...and the best thing about Z-12 is that it does not streak like traditional spray glass cleaners. I will never use anything else.

Jon

·
Registered
5 Posts
I suspect it may be something some dealers are detailing with. My new Touring has them awful and as yet I havent got them clean. I have a Nissan truck I bought last year and glass is crystal clear so can’t be my water. When I bought the Odyssey I noticed that it looked as it had been washed/sprayed. Water beaded on the body and the glass. Still does on the glass but no longer on the body until I waxed with Turtle wax Ice. Could not get spots off glass with a couple of glass cleaners I have. I will try the vinegar first. Also I will be at dealership this Friday with another Honda for service and will inquire with the retailer and see if he can shed some light on this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well the vinegar and water did absolutely nothing . The dealership claims they added nothing to the vehicle other than a run thru their automatic car wash. The did advise me that all Hondas are sprayed with a wax before leaving the manufacturing facility. They said a clay bar would do the trick. So I will either try that or Zaino.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Obviously you resurrected a very old thread, so likely none of the original folks that posted here are monitoring this thread. The clay bar may do the trick, but similar issues I have encountered in the past I have remedied using a glass cleaner with ammonia then following with an application of Rain-X following the instructions on the bottle of a double application. I find that Rain-X also makes the wipers work better and last longer, especially on an older windshield that has suffered from being essentially sand blasted by road debris for those of us that spend any significant time on the interstate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tried vinegar and it still doesn't work. I just got my van for 6 days. The Dealer's detailer tried to take it off and it still doesn't come off. What are my options? Is the Dealer liable for replacing my windows? What legal right do I have? Thanks
try windex

·
Registered
224 Posts
Since this topic popped back up... I'll add that a Mr. Clean magic eraser works really good.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts