Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm a proud and satisfied recent owner, and this is my first post. I read something here a while ago about waxing aluminum wheels. Is this a worthwhile thing to do? Does it preserve the look and protect them? If so, should i wax them just as I would the body?
Secondly, I already have a small chip along the edge of the side door. It's only about 1/16 x 3/32. I just bought some touch up paint (under $4 at HandA, by the way). My question probably sounds a bit naive , but anyway-- how do i achieve the best results? Do I just apply the touch up or should i prep the area in some way?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
The factory alloys that come with the EX are clear coated I believe. I've applied Zaino polish to mine, as with the rest of the vehicle.

Re: Chips in paint-Tips I've read generally say to:

-Prep by cleaning the area of any wax, etc. Some recommend using paint prep.

-Do NOT use the applicator brush included with touch up paint. Most recommend using the smallest brush you can find at a craft store or a wooden toothpick.

-Apply lots of THIN coats and let each dry. Using lacquer thinner to thin the paint slightly if needed.

Good luck!

Chomp

[This message has been edited by Chompers (edited 05-22-2001).]

·
Registered
200 Posts
You probably won't need it for this repair, but I bought one of those "pen-like" "cleaner/sanders" at the auto parts store (Trak Auto). I forget the actual product name, but it shaped like a mechanical pencil and has a little bundle of fibers that extend out the end. It makes it easy to clean out the chip without hitting the rest of the paint.

I will do my homework tonight and try to get the product name.

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

1 - 4 of 4 Posts