Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two months ago a gallon of milk was spilled all over the center of the van. We had it shampooed within two hours but it still stinks! We were good about letting it air out but I can still smell the sour milk. We've cleaned out the tire well between the seats too.

Any recommendations short of replacing the carpet? I could do a pro clean at the dealership but would hate to spend another $90 and not have it solve the problem.

Oh the gallon was spilled from the middle row but flew forward along the sides and drained out both side doors, the drivers door and passenger door.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
there is a pet and urine stay cleaning solution you can buy at any grocery store, Target and wal mart. It uses an enzyme that breaks down the nastiness; works wonders and is pretty cheap.

Works great on milk too and smells good

·
Registered
606 Posts
I feel your pain, I just got my '06 a couple months ago and it still smelled new from detailing and I was moving some stuff and a AFT bottle had a tight lid, but I did not notice the little lid breakaway bit lodged in the cap and it caused a leak, and that high mile ATF stuff STINKS!! really bad. I have washed the van cargo bay 3 times already and power vac'd, but still...is noticable. I think one more time ought to do it, but gezze... and my wife is about to kill me for this...:yuck:

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Once you finish with tdpark's idea (and I think it's a good one...wish I'd thought of it in similar situations), get a box of those fragrant dryer sheets and set them out all over the floor of the car.

Once the laundry dryer sheets are deployed, roll up the windows, leave the car in the sun for a couple days.

Here's the thread from our Detailing forum:

Funky Odor and Smoke Removal

The post is a ways down the first page.

OF

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Make sure there isn't anything under the carpet or it's going to stink for a long, long time...

I've spilled stuff in my subaru, but the carpet has a rubber liner, so nothing gets under it (I still check, though!) - I just use a carpet steamer/cleaner and it's good as new.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Full gallon of milk spilled in front of the second row seats. The first time i cleaned it i missed the spare tire well. Man did it STINK! On the second attempt to clean it i had to remove everything form the well and wash the spare tire off.

Our van did not stop stinking until ALL of the milk was cleaned out. Also we used baking soda on the carpet.

Good luck

·
Registered
309 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts