Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed MacNeil <a href="http://www.macneil.com/store/prodsearch.asp?item_group_id=4">WeatherFlectors</a> last night and have some abivalence about them.

I like the additional tint they provide.

However, wind noise seems louder with the windows either open or closed. Also, they distort or block vision in a few small areas, particularly just around the side mirrors.

Does this match your experience and if so, did you get used to it?

Regards,

Maugham

·
1,484 Posts
I've noticed the wind noise too. Most of the time I just turn up the music a little louder to drown out the noise. Although I am tempted to drill some air-holes in the flector to free up any possible air-traps.

The visibility is not as good as a flector-less window but it's something I can live with. It might also depend on how your seat is positioned.

It's usefullness in the rain, it's styling and especially it's color (BTW matches my CSS) slightly outweighs those few gripes I have.

So to sum it up...it ain't perfect - but I still like'em.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
483 Posts
Are they the stick-on type like vent shade or is it similar to the OEM which goes inside the window rails?

I was planning on getting the OEM ones until I saw this topic.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Because they recess into the window channels, they have that sleek and integrated look about them. Functionally, they serve a purpose. For me, I find that wind noise is generated from wind buffetting to the side which is not a regular occurence - hence tolerable.

------------------
2002 RRP EX
Weatherflectors
Weathertech Mats & Cargo Tray
FormFit Bug Deflector
Class III Drawtite Hitch
Transmission Cooler

·
Registered
261 Posts
I used to have the flectors (months ago) but returned them a week later. Here are my reasons:
1. Wind noise (as complaint by Maugham)
2. kinda damaged my windows (had the dealer replaced a regulator)

For all of you complaining about the wind noise, here is my theory - very bottom of the page.

DDakRT, you may want to take the window-flectors off then visit your dealer to have them check the windows. They will probably replace a regulator - just like mine.

NOTE: DO NOT let the dealer see your window-flectors : 'coz they will blame the flectors for causing the "squeaks and cracks")

------------------

[This message has been edited by abyez (edited 11-27-2001).]

·
Registered
17 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by abyez:
I used to have the flectors (months ago) but returned them a week later. </font>
I seriously considered the WeatherFlectors but after examining the cross section of the window seal at the top of the window I opted for the Vent Shades. They don't look as neat but they don't interfere with the window travel or the seal.

If you take a small flat headed nail and put the head up into the channel you will see that the seal is very shallow. Pull the nail down rubbing the outside of the seal and you will feel a lip in the channel that seals against the glass. The WeatherFlector renders this lip useless.
The Wind noise is increased some but I can live with it. IT's worth being able to crack the windows on rainy days.

My 2 cents worth.

------------------
2002 Ody SS EX, Splash Guards, WeatherTech mats, Cargo Tray, Plug-n-Go Console,Under coating, Paint treatment, Upholstery treatment, VentShades.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The Weathertech's do not interfere with my side vision as I am tall and drive with the seat retracted as far as possible. My wife is just 5' tall and I have not had a complaint from her about them obstructing her sight to the side view mirrors. We had them on our '97 Odyssey too.
I only heard the creaking noise the first time I closed the windows after installing. After waiting the recommended 24 hours with the windows fully closed, I hear no noise when opening or closing the windows.
I don't think that using them as a vent (with the window only opened slightly) is any more noisy than not having them. Yes if the windows are fully opened the wind howls, but you don't get blasted by the gust. Without them it would be almost as loud and much more gusty. I, like Nemogira, do not drive at speed very often with the windows fully opened anyway.
Another benefit is the ability to leave the windows open slightly on a hot day (or any day) and not worry about having the van burgled. Of couse anyone that REALLY wants in will get in anyway.

For my tastes the benefits of not getting blasted by the slight opening of the windows and the ability to crack the windows in the rain outweighs any of the other stated problems here.
Mark

------------------
'01 SS EX: Fenderwell trim, mud guards, door edge guards, Weathertech bug deflector and wind shields, Sylvania cool blue headlights, PIAA Xtreme white reverse lights, OEM leather steering wheel wrap, Plug 'N Go center console, '02 middle seat cupholders, Honda cargo mat and cargo tray, LX model cargo point holders and net, Sound FX antenna mast by Rally, OEM Kelton subwoofer, OEM CD-changer, OEM cassette player, HandA front speaker upgrade (Pioneer), Pioneer 1086 rear speaker upgrade.

[This message has been edited by homeric (edited 11-27-2001).]

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by homeric:
... My wife is just 5' tall and I have not had a complaint from her about them obstructing her sight to the side view mirrors...</font>
I should have been more clear. The view of the mirrors themselves is not impaired for me.

The area where I experience the most visual distortion and distraction is near the side view mirrors. This is because the curved 'flector changes angles in that location.

I'm starting to get used to them, so I think I'll leave them on for a few more days to see if they blend in completely.

Regards,

Maugham
<font color=pink><font size=-5><center>

[This message has been edited by Maugham (edited 11-28-2001).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts