Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Weight recommendation for booster seats

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  shindog 
#1 ·
I know that booster seats are recommended for kids 40 lbs. and over, but what exactly is the basis for this recommendation?

I currently own the Britax Roadster booster seats (which I love for their portability and ease of use) that I use when carpooling other people's kids. My daughter, however, is 3 years old and only about 30 lbs. and I still have her sit in her Britax Expressway, but every time she gets in the van she asks if she can sit in the Roadster booster (which I of course say no to). If weight is the primary reason (that kids have to be heavier than 40 lbs. for the use of regular seat belts with the booster seat to be an effective restraint), then what about the fact that some booster seats, like the Britax StarRiser, allow for children as light as 30 lbs.? As far as the height, my daughter's shoulders easily come up to the lowest setting of the Roadster, so fitting the regular seat belt correctly over her is no problem.

Mind you, I've read postings within Odyclub and info elsewhere on the net and agree that strapping children in car seats with 5-point harnesses is the safest option for as long as the kid will tolerate it, but the Britax Roadster is such a convenient booster and was wondering whether it's an absolute NO-NO to have children over 30 lbs. but under 40 lbs. using it.

------------------
(o: Terry :eek:)
'02 GG EX-L RES
Splash guards, mod floor mats & cargo tray, Poron backup sensors, VCR/TV tuner

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the additional info, caviller. Your input has always been so helpful.

In researching this matter, I was surprised to learn that children at 30 lbs. can ride in a booster seat, so long as, like you mentioned, they meet the weight/height requirements and are capable of behaving themselves. Since I have the Britax Roadster seat, I called Britax to find out whether a child of 30 lbs. can ride in that particular booster(it specifies 40-100 lbs.), and they said that it's up to the parent. The rep said that the Roadster has been crash-tested for 40 lbs. and over only, but that the seat itself can handle lighter weights (again, so long as the child is correctly fastened and won't unfasten or play with the seat belt). In fact, their other booster, the StarRiser, specifies 30-80 lbs., and it's not very different from the Roadster (she even said that 30-lb kids can ride without the back support attached if they're tall enough to properly fit in the seat of the car). I suspect the reason for the different weight specifications is really a marketing one--that way they can sell more of both models, IMHO.

As an added safety measure, when I carpool other kids (a bunch of 5-year-olds) in these booster seats, I always pull the car seatbelts all the way so they lock and retain the tension. This may not be necessary, but I feel that this way the kids can't play with the belt by pulling on it or sliding it out of position which would compromise safety. Just a thought.

------------------
(o: Terry :eek:)
'02 GG EX-L RES
Splash guards, mod floor mats & cargo tray, Poron backup sensors, VCR/TV tuner

Discussion starter · #5 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shindog:
Hi Terry,
Noticed you have an Expressway... just wondering, have you experienced any of the problems I/my wife did in regards to harness tightening?
</font>
Hi, shindog. I wrote down Expressway when I really meant Freeway, which is what we have (can't keep these names straight
; couldn't they have been more creative?...). Sorry for the confusion. I understand that the Freeway is an older model convertible (20-40 lbs.). It's been a good car seat, but I find that the buckle is somewhat flimsy and looks like kids could easily get it unbuckled. Britax's website says they offer a buckle cover for free (plus $1.95 s/h) to prevent that, but so far my daughter hasn't gone exploring that area yet. The harness tightening mechanism has worked well so far, though the tightening part requires a bit of exertion (need to pull down hard), but not bad. Sorry I can't help with the Expressway

[This message has been edited by forgaming (edited 12-07-2001).]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.