Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided to remove weight, to:
1. Save gas
2. Save breaks
3. Save engine
4. Save transmission
5. Be more agile
6. Be faster and easier take offs.
EDIT: 7. Less fluids wear (motor oil, transmission oil, break fluid, etc.)

So far I removed:
One 2nd row captain chair - 63.5 lbs
Center (8th) seat with cushion- 33 lbs
Lazy Mary - 12.5 lbs
Tow hitch - 50 lbs

Total so far- 159 lbs

Last week installed H&R springs from Tirerack, and they are great. Body roll
is now very minimum, making a much more pleasant ,firmer drive.

Other changes coming up:
1. Since I only use one captain chair on the 2nd row for my 7 year old,
I will be removing the 3rd row seats soon.

2. Roof rails coming out (I think it will look nicer, and I never use them)

3. Moda wheels ( 17.8 lbs) and possibly 235/55/16 tires.
I much prefer the slightly lower diameter, and slightly lower tire profile,
even if speedometer will be off by 6% or so. It is actually good
to make me think that I am going faster, and get less speeding tickets :)

I actually wanted 235/50/16 tires, but could not find any.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Do the springs maintain stock ride height? Body roll has always been a bit disappointing to me because it actually hooks up pretty good once you get over the motion of the ocean.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
skinny2 said:
Do the springs maintain stock ride height? Body roll has always been a bit disappointing to me because it actually hooks up pretty good once you get over the motion of the ocean.
Skinny2 these are only stage 2 H&R springs, so the lowering is minimal:
1.5" in the front, 1.2" in the rear. I love corners now,
and I love highway moves with absolutely no drama.

EDIT: I also like less turbulence under the van, therefore more aerodynamic.

The vehicle feels much lighter, for lack of a better word.

I also want to change shocks (150,000Km), but I am not too sure about
Monroe Sensa Tracks, after speaking with a Monroe rep; I will probably install OEM.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
itr0754 said:
Could you post a picture with the new springs ??
itr0754 I will take pics as soon as this nasty snow calms down a bit, 2 feet of snow
on the driveway, (and - 17 C right now, I should move to Florida).

I think with the slightly lower profile tires (I am staying with 16") it will look perfect, and steering will be sharper too.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I didn't think there were any options that didn't lower the Ody. I have enough clearance issues with stock springs!

·
Premium Member
14,605 Posts
Removal of the 3rd seat/seats will help signifantly as they're near 100 lbs. And the reduction WILL help to minimize the understeering tendencies of the Ody.

I achieved the highest mpg with no seats on board a couple of summers ago over 30 mpg on multiple runs on secondary roads averaging ~ 62 mph with stops along the way......

And the acceleration/handling IS improved!

:joy:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
skinny2 said:
I didn't think there were any options that didn't lower the Ody. I have enough clearance issues with stock springs!
What issues? Is it reaching the limit and bottoming?
The H&R springs have way less movement than OEM. Even with a 1200 lbs load,
from looking at it you could not tell it was loaded.

The 06 Odyssey EXL rear axle maximum load is 3200 lbs, so even
at 1200 lbs, it was getting
less than 700 lbs- a far cry from the 3200 lbs limit.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
chiody said:
Removal of the 3rd seat/seats will help signifantly as they're near 100 lbs. And the reduction WILL help to minimize the understeering tendencies of the Ody.

I achieved the highest mpg with no seats on board a couple of summers ago over 30 mpg on multiple runs on secondary roads averaging ~ 62 mph with stops along the way......

And the acceleration/handling IS improved!

Chiody, that is the efficiency and lightness I'm after.
I don't use all that extra seat's weight, so why carry it around for??

That reminds me of one more point to edit into my first post:
less fluids wear (transmission oil, break fluid, etc)

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
JDSStudios said:
What issues? Is it reaching the limit and bottoming?
Dragging when pulling into certain drives, rubbing front clip on parking blocks/curbs, and rubbing on some grooved back roads. This thing has less ground clearance stock than many cars. My belly pans and front lip are all pretty messed up. Granted I live out in the country and drive some rough roads, but this isn't my first vehicle! I've not had these issues with other vehicles including far more sporty cars. I'd still like to improve the spring rate because the initial body roll is too much for my taste...but I don't want to lose any clearance either.

The Moda wheels will likely be something you can really feel. Ditching unsprung weight is a big plus.

·
Registered
786 Posts
skinny2 said:
Dragging when pulling into certain drives, rubbing front clip on parking blocks/curbs, and rubbing on some grooved back roads. This thing has less ground clearance stock than many cars. My belly pans and front lip are all pretty messed up. Granted I live out in the country and drive some rough roads, but this isn't my first vehicle! I've not had these issues with other vehicles including far more sporty cars. I'd still like to improve the spring rate because the initial body roll is too much for my taste...but I don't want to lose any clearance either.

The Moda wheels will likely be something you can really feel. Ditching unsprung weight is a big plus.

The country! There's a driveway downtown in the city that the Ody can't even get up because the front end won't clear the curb. I have to park on the street whenever I go there. I was hoping they would make it a little better in the redesign, even if they only changed the front end design, but no they actually made it lower! But like you said their Camry clears it everytime.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
skinny2 said:

I don't have the same problem with the Odyssey, however with the Porsche
I got used to always approach any curb on an angle, and it clears.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
itr0754 said:
Could you post a picture with the new springs ??
itr0754, here it goes, a pic of the 06 Odyssey EXL RES, with H&R springs from Tirerack,
taken with the iPhone last night after refueling.

No more body-roll, EDIT: 20% stiffer, 1.5" lower in the front, 1.2" lower in the rear.

I have loaded the van with 1200 lbs, with no problems whatsoever.

It is still a very comfortable ride, and a much more comfortable drive,
with more precise steering, easier cornering, and makes changing
lanes on the highway fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, today I removed 3rd row seats- easier than I first thought.

Chiody, I weighted the 3rd row seats at 130 lb.

My total weight savings at this point: 299 lb

Why carry seats around I never use? Most of the rear space is to load equipment.

Tomorrow I will drive for the first time with the new weight.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Driving lighter feels really good!
Breaks feel stronger, and coming off stop lights it is much faster and easier.
Curving is also amazing; no wonder that Honda team built that Turbo Odyssey to
play around on the track.

Also, there are only 10 screws if I need to put the seats back- quite simple.
Next: lighter wheels (Moda) and better (lower and lighter, better grip) tires from Tirerack.

Ooh! And wait until I measure the new gas mileage.

·
Registered
511 Posts
wow.. so far seems like a very fun challenge. So is it easy to put the 3rd row seats back assuming you'll need to use them?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Weight Savings

I took the rear seat out of my 05 Touring this weekend for a carpet replacement. It was not easy! The outboard mounts are behind the huge side panels. And the seats themselves are very heavy!

Rich

wow.. so far seems like a very fun challenge. So is it easy to put the 3rd row seats back assuming you'll need to use them?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I took the rear seat out of my 05 Touring this weekend for a carpet replacement. It was not easy! The outboard mounts are behind the huge side panels. And the seats themselves are very heavy!

Rich
No, no, you don't need to touch the mounts!
Yes if you want to take the side mounts, the side panels and would have to be removed- PIA!
Like I said, just 10 bolts, and carry those heavy seats out of there, done! Simple!
Bolts were put back, so I don't loose them.
5 minute job.

·
Premium Member
14,605 Posts
So, today I removed 3rd row seats- easier than I first thought.

Chiody, I weighted the 3rd row seats at 130 lb.

My total weight savings at this point: 299 lb

Why carry seats around I never use? Most of the rear space is to load equipment.

Tomorrow I will drive for the first time with the new weight.
~300 lbs. less is HUGE for static wt. But when you install the new lighter wheels/tires, rotational unsprung wt. is even MORE advantageous.

Report back!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
How about some more details?

Rich

No, no, you don't need to touch the mounts!
Yes if you want to take the side mounts, the side panels and would have to be removed- PIA!
Like I said, just 10 bolts, and carry those heavy seats out of there, done! Simple!
Bolts were put back, so I don't loose them.
5 minute job.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts