Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While, this isn't about a preformance mod in the stricktest sence, a reduction in the weight of the Ody can't hurt.

Since I never use the third seat or center fold down tray, I decided to remove them an put them in storage since my van is used to haul cargo mostly and never more the four people.

For the heck of it, I weighed them using a fairly accurate scale and though I'd share the results if anyone is interested.

Third seat including both cast iron hinges and fasteners: 83lbs US.
Each hinge incidently weighs 4.25 lbs. This doesn't include the head rests since I put them in storage a while back and didn't want to go digging them out just to weight them.

Fold down tray with fasteners: 9lbs-14oz.

A total of 92lbs-14oz. Figure 98 to 100lbs if the head rests were included.

No wonder the Ody is so heavy. Ha! :D

-Mark

·
Registered
478 Posts
If you wanted to save weight, I would say the second row buckets would be heavier than the magic seat. Easier to remove, still have the seating capacity you need (of course, your passengers would be sitting kinda far away :) ) Those middle seats are pretty heavy. Lose the spare tire too-that's what AAA is for anyway, right? :jk:

·
Registered
910 Posts
I did removed the spare tire and both of the bucket seats, now I am tempted to remove the third row too !! way to go ....... an Odyssey Coupe !! lol :D

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay. So I took a vacation day to mostly goof off, so here are the weights of the two rear seats w/headrests. For some reason the LH seat was slightly heavier by about 0.7lbs. Production tollerences? I double check both seat weights.
RH=56.5lb lh 57.2 lb. Total=113.7

So the total weight of the tray, two center seats and third seat with mounting hinges and head rests would be about 210 to 213 lbs. In leather. Cloth may weigh slightly different.
I don't want to fight the spare to weigh it.

You really run around with no spare, lookinco?

·
Registered
910 Posts
yes. but i didn't take it out to reduce weight. I took it out when I was laying the sound insulation material and never remembered to put it back.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Did sound insulation work?

How have you liked your sound insulation install?

Did it improve road noise? Where did you install it? What kind did you use?

I've wondered about the tailgate as other users pictures show there is no sound deadening material at all from the factory.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Re: Did sound insulation work?

I am quite satisified with the sound insulation. The materials I used is call "Brown-Bread". The noise coming from the door and the underside have be reduced GREATLY, but not the tire noise, especially after I changed my tires. I took off the carpet and the door panels and stick them right on the metal frame of the Odyssey. The brown-bread has adhensive on the back so sticking it on is quite simple.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm in a process of reducing weight of my 2008 ody,so far all the chairs are gone and boy mpg is up and the response on the van is ridiculous

1 - 8 of 8 Posts