Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys -

I have an '02 Oddy EX-L. Has a 5-speed tranny that's about 2-3 months old (rebuilt). Generally starts, runs, and drives like a champ, 127k miles.

If I'm at about 45-50 MPH cruising, the trans shifts into 5th and the RPM's are right around 1500. The car will chug and stutter at that speed, only at light cruising load. If I give it some gas or ease off it goes away.

First thought was motor mounts, I've visually inspected them when I first got the van and they seem OK, the major ones actually look fairly new. Not sure if the trans is doing something weird there or what.

Also, the trans will "downshift" when going down a hill, it will rev up and coast down, just like driving a manual transmission and downshifting to use engine braking. It's not noticeable on flat ground, just decelerating going downhill.

Threw that out there, not sure if it's related to the main problem. It's getting REALLY annoying.

No check engine light, but I haven't checked for codes yet.

Thanks!

Dale

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey guys -
If I'm at about 45-50 MPH cruising, the trans shifts into 5th and the RPM's are right around 1500. The car will chug and stutter at that speed, only at light cruising load. If I give it some gas or ease off it goes away.

Dale
That sure sounds like the EGR valve or EGR port problem.
SB 05-026
When my valve started failing - real noticable at those speeds - it never gave a code.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
+1 ^^ Classic EGR symptoms. The engine stumbles because the fuel mixture is too lean because of bad EGR. Stepping on the gas enriches the mixture so the problem goes away.

The downshifting you describe is normal - "Grade Logic" in Honda speak. It should however downshift only if you touch the brake.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah! Thank you! I'm researching EGR stuff right now, that DOES sound just like the problem!

THANKS!

Dale

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a Youtube video showing a how-to on cleaning the EGR passages. Also, you can Google and find the EGR TSB's that show how to pull the intake manifold and clean the EGR passages.

Can't wait to tackle this over the weekend, it's driving me NUTS!

Dale

·
Registered
228 Posts
I believe this was the latest version of the TSB dated 2/5/08;
http://home.comcast.net/~jnpsmith07/A05-026.pdf
Okay guys, on repair procedure B in the TSB (the cleaning procudure, procedure A is replacing the EGR Valve), page 7 shows the repair technician using a special drill bit to ream out the EGR main passage port and then a pipe-kit sleeve that you tap into the new larger opening described on page 8. This tool is described on page 2 as EGR Pipe Installation Kit: T/N 07ZAD-P8AA000.

Did anyone do this, looks like it's just opening this port a little larger, but you would need to use this tool and be uber careful not to drill through too far :)

-Roy

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Repair B (reaming of port and insertion of teflon pipe) is NOT for your 2002 model.

The TSB states: "REPAIR PROCEDURE B: EGR PORT CLEANING
AND INSTALLATION OF EGR PIPE KIT
NOTE: This procedure is only for 1999–01 Odysseys
thru VIN 2HKRL18..1H586575 not yet repaired
according to S/B 00-009."

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Follow Dale's procedure and replace the EGR valve (if faulty) but do NOT perform Repair Procedure B which is drilling the EGR port to make it larger and installing a teflon tube.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts