Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Hope someone can help me with a problem I have with my new Oddy.

This is something that has happened twice since I bought the van back in April. Every once it a while it seems the door locks go crazy and refuse to open. Last week my wife was out shopping with the kids. She locked up the van as usual. When she came back she couldn't get the side doors or the rear lift gate to unlock and open. She tried the FOB, buttons on the dash, outside and inside handles (the Canadian SE has auto-sliding doors but not an auto lift gate). She could get the front doors open though. The kids ended up having to climb through front to get to their seats. My wife had to crawl back there too to buckle them into their carseats. She did check and make sure the sliding door main switch was in the on position. When she got back home the doors magically fixed themselves and worked normally.

·
Registered
72 Posts
...that's what the dealer if for.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I had this happen when the battery was nearing its death. Its worked fine when she got home because the battery had charged back up. Had the battery replaced under warranty when the van was only 1.5 years old!

·
Registered
72 Posts
My Ody battery went kaput a month after the warranty so I had to purchase a brand new one. On the other hand, my Civic battery died one month before the warranty expired so I got a brand new one free of charge.

Does the Honda batteries have a built in warranty timer? :)

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
jkayca said:
Hi Everyone,

Hope someone can help me with a problem I have with my new Oddy.

This is something that has happened twice since I bought the van back in April. Every once it a while it seems the door locks go crazy and refuse to open. Last week my wife was out shopping with the kids. She locked up the van as usual. When she came back she couldn't get the side doors or the rear lift gate to unlock and open. She tried the FOB, buttons on the dash, outside and inside handles (the Canadian SE has auto-sliding doors but not an auto lift gate). She could get the front doors open though. The kids ended up having to climb through front to get to their seats. My wife had to crawl back there too to buckle them into their carseats. She did check and make sure the sliding door main switch was in the on position. When she got back home the doors magically fixed themselves and worked normally.
I would try replacing the battery in the remote first. Could be possible that the battery is dead or bad.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Let me ask this. We just bought a 2010 EX. The dealer showed us how the power sliding doors operate manually(easily) when the door switch is off. Would that not have been an option?
Maybe you have to have good battery for the 'off' message to work, too.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses. A bit more details on the problem. From more of what my wife has told me it appears the liftgate and sliding doors were locked and no amount of pushing the unlock button on the remote or the button on the driver's side door would unlock them. She didn't try manually unlocking the sliding doors with the buttons on the inside of the actual door. Never occurred to her to do it as she had a cart full of groceries and two soggy 3 yr olds to deal with.

@reed57 - she yanked on the door with all her might but it wouldn't budge that's what made us think the door was locked.

I did talk to the dealer about the problem but the service guy was a mystified as we were. Offered to do an inspection but said if they didn't find anything wrong we'd be charged $50. I declined since we haven't had the problem since.

I posted this because I wanted to see if anyone knew if the ody lock system could get confused and was a known problem. Searched the TSiBs but didn't see anything relevant.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
If the mechanic didn't know what it was that is why they have all those service manuals for. He should take all the information from the customer and research the manuals for the components that could cause the problem. The problem is they are too interested in not finding anything and grab a quick diagnostic fee and send you on your way. I only have second gen manuals so can't help.

·
Registered
36 Posts
From what I was told from my dealer when I reported the problem on my 09 oddy, it's a bad door lock that causes this problem, it throws off the sensor and makes the doors lock and unlock like crazy. Ever since I had the bad door lock replaced it never happen again.

Good luck !

·
Registered
778 Posts
If it happens again you should try starting the car and then opening the door. That would either eliminate or pinpoint the battery as the problem. I tried to get the dealer to replace the battery 3 times and finally got them to do it with 35,942 miles on the odometer. (I didn't go anywhere all weekend to have enough miles left to get to the dealer on Monday morning.:D I also managed to get a fresh set of headlights and highbeam lights on that trip too.)

·
Registered
318 Posts
bringing back to life a 1 year old thread

For the past couple of months I have experienced the central door locking system unlocking itself while the Odyssey is in motion. My wife confirmed to me that this happened in the past.
However it occurs more often now than before. I've confirmed it myself on various scenarios, slow driving, fwy driving,
hot weather driving etc. It doesn't affect the driveability of the van though. I am just worried for safety sake.

What's next? The sliding door automatically unlocks then slides open while on high speed?

My Ody is 2006 EX-L - everything stock.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had some weird door behavior on my new to me 2006. Battery destroyed after just 1.5 years of service. Highly-rated MaxStart battery sold by Walmart. I took the van to Walmart where they diagnosed the battery as bad and replaced it for free despite me not being the original purchaser. I was pretty impressed by that but am concerned about how this van treats batteries.

Buy batteries with long full replacement warranties.

·
Registered
318 Posts
But my battery is only 6 months old bought from Costco. :nothappy:

I will have to pull out the voltmeter and check.

I had some weird door behavior on my new to me 2006. Battery destroyed after just 1.5 years of service. Highly-rated MaxStart battery sold by Walmart. I took the van to Walmart where they diagnosed the battery as bad and replaced it for free despite me not being the original purchaser. I was pretty impressed by that but am concerned about how this van treats batteries.

Buy batteries with long full replacement warranties.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm experiencing the same situation now. Hoping it clears up by itself. Only thing I can think of is I uncoupled the two wire bundles that run from van into the door while trying to install new speaker wires (another problem unto itself). Thinking there must be a computer reset function?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just in case it helps... I had strange sliding door symptoms after changing my battery a year ago. As it turned out, there is an "accessory wire" that connects to the battery cables and when NTB changed the battery, this was knocked loose and would randomly make contact (doors worked) and lose contact (doors quit working) all the time...driving around! We were totally "up in arms" with our local mechanic and I just happened to run across someone who had this information... so... might check that. :huh:

As soon as we called the mechanic back, he had never heard of this before... checked it... and tada! the doors were all better again!

It was terrible though... of course all this happened in ice storm weather...

·
Registered
318 Posts
This is it! Thanks so much. I just checked mine and it was loose.
Just in case it helps... I had strange sliding door symptoms after changing my battery a year ago. As it turned out, there is an "accessory wire" that connects to the battery cables and when NTB changed the battery, this was knocked loose and would randomly make contact (doors worked) and lose contact (doors quit working) all the time...driving around! We were totally "up in arms" with our local mechanic and I just happened to run across someone who had this information... so... might check that. :huh:

As soon as we called the mechanic back, he had never heard of this before... checked it... and tada! the doors were all better again!

It was terrible though... of course all this happened in ice storm weather...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts