·
Registered
1,578 Posts
$455.00 for labor
$250.00 for 1 12307 Alternator
$20.00 Environmental fee
$52.57 taxes
Total: $777.57
WOW! Is their hourly rate $300 per hour?

Looks like they offered you a competitive price on the alternator replacement, then gave you a cheap part and marked up the labor. Well, they're paying the consequences now.

And those other costs ... are they taxing labor? Environmental fees? Many here in CA pride themselves on being the most radical tax and environmental revolutionary activists imaginable. They are surely jealous seeing this, and know they need to step up their game to keep up with wherever you are.

For some basic explanation of alternator manufacturing and rebuilding ...

Big, great manufacturers like Denso, Bosch, Valeo, etc. design and build alternators for the car manufacturers. Our Odysseys come with Denso alternators. When an alternator fails, it is usually something very simple and repairable like brushes, sometimes a circuit problem, sometimes bearings, eventually slip rings wear out. So they can be repaired pretty easily usually, which is what I do on my alternators. Most people don't know how, and most mechanics may not either, or it is a better business decision to just handle the installation of a new or rebuilt alternator.

And that's where the crap comes in. A bad company can do the bare minimum to rebuild, spray on some new silver paint and sell it with a confidence inspiring warranty. Done at labor paying extremely low rates, often getting it just good enough to get it out the door and no better. And it may or may not work for long at all.

But the good companies like Denso or Bosch will rebuild their own alternators, with a MUCH higher standard of quality. Practically as good as new, many would say, and reflected in the cost. So that why earlier in this thread I mentioned a "Denso-rebuilt Denso," which I apparently incorrectly assumed the dealer would have used. Explained now by seeing the bill details.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Wow ..... I feel kind of stupid now. Thanks for the run down though....great insight on how the rebuild process works. I appreciate the time you all have taken on my issue. Going forward I now know better.
Anyway, so what do I do now ? Hope the one that is in there runs ok ? (obviously that's where I am at).
I am wondering IF I have to take it back just bite the bullet and have them put in the Denso or other brand you mentioned installed. I drove it all day yesterday and part of today and so far it seems fine. (this includes the new Honda battery in it). But I'm still a bit leary.
This dealer is in Ohio so it's definately not California.
On a side note: I have two 2004 Honda Odyssey's and one 1998 Honda Accord and ALL of them have been amazingly reliable and tough as nails. I HATE loosing any confidence in these vehicle. I think I did this 2004 "wrong" by not insisting on the better unit. I know no vehicle is perfect but I must say both of my Odysseys have over 200,000 miles on them and other than normal "wear and tear" they really do drive great.
I have no intention of getting rid of them .... (barring some unforseen issue of course). Years ago I bought them with longevity in mind and so far so good. (other than an annoyance like this).
I will keep you all posted !!
Thanks to all again !!

·
Registered
8,232 Posts
I am wondering IF I have to take it back just bite the bullet and have them put in the Denso or other brand you mentioned installed.
Go back to the dealer and explain to them that you don't feel confident with this alternator due to its repeated past failures. Offer to buy the Denso reman if they will install it under the warranty. For additional leverage, mention that they, being a Honda dealer, should have gotten your approval in advance before installing a non-Honda part. A call to Honda corporate might also add weight to back up your position.

If they don't agree, go talk to the other shop you mentioned. Get a quote for labor to replace the alternator with a Denso reman. (I emphasize reman because Denso also sells a brand new unit.) I would expect his labor quote to be about half the dealer's price.

I fully understand your point about having confidence in a car. I too drive an older car, but I have 100% confidence that it will always take me where I want to go. It's well maintained, and all parts that go into it are top-notch (OEM or equivalent). If I didn't have that confidence, I would be out shopping.

Dave

·
Registered
954 Posts
I agree with Dave about approaching the dealer regarding your concerns. If they say no you will need to weigh your options and decide if pice of mind is worth having someone else install a denso reman. Even as a mechanic there are times after I have completed repairs on my van that I am a little leary for a few days so giving it some time may bring back that confidence.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Like I said earlier, I think its best you visually see for yourself what alternator they put in there. There has to be some kind of brand on the outer body of the alternator. This way you know what you got before talking to them dealer.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Those dealer advisors can shuffle the list price every which way they see fit for their benefit. It could be listed as a wholesale price. I never actually heard of a dealer putting aftermarket parts in their work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Great advise guys .... I appreciate it. I have driven the van about 100 miles now since the latest incident and it "appears" fine .... but still that leariness remains. I am going to weigh my options.
The dealer assured me that they double checked this unit and the entire electrical system ....and, along with the new battery, are confident it's be fine. :| The one tech at the shop said he thought that since they could find "nothing" other then the dead alternator that a bad battery could have played a roll .... but that it was still unacceptable that this kept happening. I did appreciate that.
Ok, I will keep you all updated and please know your insights and advise are not in vain. Now, and in the future, I will use everything you all are teaching me. Truly appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ok 4 days on now and all "seems" well. We'll see. You will all be the first to know if something goes haywire again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Check the ground chassis wire. Particularly theone with no protective cover on left side next to ps pump. They frey out and cause weird probs. Theres 2 more main chassis wires. Need to order it special at honda 10 bucks ull have it next day tho. This happened to me. But it could be bad relay or bad alternator. Checck grounds first

21 - 30 of 30 Posts