Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 2010 EX-L that we bought 2nd hand about 2 years ago. Mostly it's been trouble-free. Last year, we noticed flat tire on right rear and saw a large cut in it, as well as uneven wear, especially on its 'inside' tread. See first set of 2 pix. We immediately replaced that tire.

This year, we noticed a flat tire on the left rear and saw a similar (but smaller) cut in it, with similar wear on its 'inside' tread. See next set of pix.

Both tires seem to have major wear on one side of their treads, almost at 45 degree angle to the tread (and to the road.) Both rear tires appear to be vertical, nowhere near the angle of the wear. We don't know if that wear occurred when those tires were in the rear or maybe the previous owner had them in the front at some time? We did have the front alignment checked last year, and it was OK with nothing unusual noted on front end -- trusted alignment/suspension shop. We also know that the previous owner replaced both rear shocks just before we bought the car, he gave us the receipt for those. (We also have a stack of service records for services he had done over the past 7-8 years.) The car seems to drive properly and does not pull or wander to either side. It now has a bit over 100K miles on it. It does have the VCM muzzler, in case anyone is interested.

So, what could have caused the damage to both rear tires? What should we look for or do now?

Thanks to everyone for any suggestions.

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,222 Posts
How old are the tires? The cracks in the tread look like the rubber is very old. Since its two tires, doubt they have been ridden on with a flat. I would guess its just old rubber which has dry rotted.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey Touring
652 Posts
I was kind of wondering the same thing in my case. I had 2 tires with nails that would normally have been repairable, but 2 places I went to would not repair them due to the wear on the edges.

I ended up replacing all 4 tires a week ago. Don't get me wrong I had them for 54,000 miles, which isn't bad for these vans, and I did get a $45 credit per tire since the warranty was for 75,000 miles, but I was thinking I would get another 5-10K miles or so out of them since the center area of the tread was about 5/32".

I'm wondering if I should run the pressure a little higher than the 35 PSI I use all around. It's been a while since I had an alignment so I should probably have that done as well.

Here's a pic of one of the tires right before I replaced them.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
5,872 Posts
I had some slight uneven wear issues on my last set. Current set is too new to know for sure, last time I had it rotated (about 2k miles ago) I was told everything looked good.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX-L; 2015 Durango Citadel (Hemi AWD)
493 Posts
I'm wondering if I should run the pressure a little higher than the 35 PSI I use all around. It's been a while since I had an alignment so I should probably have that done as well.

Here's a pic of one of the tires right before I replaced them.

View attachment 170709
Nice photo! Looks slightly under inflated IMO, but not bad. Nice even wear on both shoulders and a little less in the middle. I'd give 38psi or so a try.

How old are the tires? The cracks in the tread look like the rubber is very old. Since its two tires, doubt they have been ridden on with a flat. I would guess its just old rubber which has dry rotted.
My first thought too. Any time cracks start to show up in the sidewall like that I just replace them immediately. I would have the alignment checked though. That is a lot of inside shoulder tire wear with a lot of meat left on the rest of the tire.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Agree with marvinstockman. If the rear is heavily loaded it will cause excess negative camber. The cure for that is Timbrens or Air Lift 1000.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Load and inflation pressure a closely related. The more load on the tire, the more pressure it needs to have the "optimal" inflation pressure.

That's partly why the recommended pressures on the door jamb are different from the maximum pressures on the sidewall of the tire. The sidewall pressures are the pressures that go with the maximum tire load.

However, the jamb-printed pressure go with the recommended vehicle load.

You'll note that tire makers often recommend higher inflation pressures for sustained highway operation, typically 5-10psi. This is often reflect in owner's manuals too.

Since "optimal" inflation is a moving target that's hard to reach, it's best to generally err on the side of overinflation. While the ride quality and traction will suffer slightly, the tires will run cooler, handle higher speeds and loads better, and it's safer overall. It's also more resistant to certain kind of flat tires like pothole pinch-flats.

Since I de-paxed to Ridgeline 17" wheels with 235/60r17 tires, I find 38psi front and rear to be close to ideal for our typical mixed use operation with 2-3 people and mostly around town with some expressway usage. I think Viper's recommendation of 38psi is something I would recommend also.

·
Registered
76 Posts
To me that looks like its rubbing against something under the car. A suspension part or something else. Take a look in your wheel well and see if you find any rubber shaving build up on any protruding parts. Also make sure you dont have broken springs or missing bump stops.

·
Registered
223 Posts
That looks like terrible toe out to me...AND probably sagged springs, Get an alignment, if needed, new rear springs are easy to change.
BTW most vehicles can use new springs after 10 yrs. It's common now. I would say 'They don't build 'em like they used to" but in truth, springs have always worn out after 100K miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts