Honda Odyssey Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
canadaodyowner said:
Actually, for me it is close to 120 km/h when I cruise at 2000 rpm. I have the original tranny, touch wood!
I wonder why the slight discrepency? Can't be slightly different gear ratios (same year), so variation in speedo or tack I would think. I might post on a more general forum and see what the concensis is.

I'm not inspired to confidence over the Ody tranny--sounds like neither are you. I wonder what the percentage of failures is?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
cramar said:
I wonder why the slight discrepency? Can't be slightly different gear ratios (same year), so variation in speedo or tack I would think. I might post on a more general forum and see what the concensis is.

I'm not inspired to confidence over the Ody tranny--sounds like neither are you. I wonder what the percentage of failures is?
If you do the calculation for a 2002 or later Odyssey 2000RPM corresponds to about 117km/h. For a 2000 Odyssey it will be less (sorry I can't be bothered to do the calculation, not least because I haven't got the gear ratios to hand). Somewhere in the 108-110 km/h range sounds about right though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello all

Hi, I came across this forum and had to join.

I just bought a 2000 EX, and need floor mats. Any recommendations? I live in North York (GTA).

By the way, I think this site is fantastic! I will be here often! :D

Thanks,

Trebor

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just brought a 2003 EX, sliver. This forum (esp this Cdn forum) is great! I'm from Burnaby, B.C.

Wish to get a Lagreat badge!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Re: Hello all

trebor said:
Hi, I came across this forum and had to join.

I just bought a 2000 EX, and need floor mats. Any recommendations? I live in North York (GTA).
You mean winter mats, I take it? I just bought a complete set of the "Pantsaver" mats from Zellers. First time I've come across the "BIG" ones, for trucks/vans/SUVs. (And I had already bought the more common medium size front pair at Walmart... oh well.)

The front mats cover the passenger side completely, just a tad narrow of full coverage on the driver's side. The other two sets are each a pair of large mats that interlock in the center, with the usual "deep" section. These even come with cutout diagrams for various vehicles. They are intended to completely cover the whole middle floor area, under the seats and all. The rear pairs were $29.97 a set and and each front mat was $19.97. This is a great price - Walmart and CT charge more for the medium front mats and don't even carry those rear ones.

I was all set to buy the WeatherTech mats online from the US rather than Canada (because we pay alot more than the converted price for some reason) but when it came time to pay I could not enter a shipping address different from the billing address. Now I'm glad it didn't work out!!! :) I was having a hard time just thinking about paying that much for those particular mats...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks robg!

Thanks for your post about the Pants Saver mats. I picked them up at Zellers today and just finished installing them. Perfect fit!

Thanks again robg!

Love this site!

Trebor

·
Registered
52 Posts
Got my Pantsaver mats too, feel and fit like weathertech, only a fraction of the cost.

Excellent recommendation, Thanks.

Rolla01

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm checking in from Victoria B.C. Just recently purchase a 01 silver LX. We tried all the new vans but settled on the Odyssey. (looked the best and the easiest for my wife to drive).

I was not impressed with the stock Symmetrys, Replaced them with the new Michelin Hydroedge. They seem alot quieter, and they stick like glue, wet or dry. :)

Has a remanufactured transmission, the original failed at 36k.
Bought van with 43k on the odo, now has 45k. I need to get the EGR system looked at, as it is stumbling at light throttle openings.

love this club, I've learned alot about the Odyssey from all of you. It made my decision to get one easy. Thanks.

cbxeric

·
Registered
700 Posts
Welcome to the club!
Enjoy tips and tricks about owning, driving and maintaining your car, and stayong away from the expensive dealers as much as possible.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Less than 3 weeks ago picked up the 2000 Ody-fern LX 114,000km and headed for Florida. Just got back last week with over 5,000km more on it! Ran like a Rolex. What a delight -- quiet and idles so smooth I thought the engine had stalled a couple of times. Cruses beautifully at 120, 130, 140k, whatever. Passing semis in hills of Kentucky at 90 mph into a corner at night was scarry, but the Ody handles like...well a Honda should and took it in stride while I had my heart in my mouth.

Mileage was all that I can ask for. Best was coming and going in the flatness of Georgia with about 27 mpg (U.S.) at 80 mph average (8.6L/100k)! I'll have to post this in one of the mileage forums. It is a far cry from my 50+ (U.S.) mpg on my Jetta TDI that I traded in for this, but as I said, I can't ask for more out of a V6 in a 4,400lb. van at 80 mph!

The idea of taking the Ody instead of my wife's 96 Accord was to take our bicycles. Took out the middle seats and with rear down used it as a cargo van to transport our two bicycles. A couple of years ago I built an internal wooden bike rack for our '88 Voyager. It was custom made specifically for the base to tie down to the middle and rear seat anchors. I found that I can use it in the Ody without mods, but the bikes were swaying from side to side. Using rope to guy them to the rear seat anchors on the sides solved this problem perfectly! :)

Also took my car wash stuff to Florida. Wife thought I was nuts, but claybarred the van, put on one coat of Klasse All-in-One then one coat of Klasse Sealer. Had to get it ready for the winter! :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi, I'm glad I found this site and think it's VANTASTIC!

I just purchased a Slate Grey 2003 EX, with bug deflector.

Looking forward to many happy KMs here in the Nations Capital...

Ken

·
Registered
34 Posts
canadaodyowner said:
cramar, congratulations and welcome aboard. one suggestion: consider changing your timing belt (and water pump) if the previous owner didn't do it.
Yes, officially dealership says it can go to 160,000km, but I'm considering 120,000 range which is soon.

I had the Honda bug deflector installed by the dealer. I was hoping it wouldn't impact mileage. Apparently not! I wonder if it even helps airflow over the van and increases mileage?

Also bought pantsaver mats at Zellers for $30, then found out local Wal-mart now carries them at $25. Gray was sold out though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Canada, 2 things:

1. I recently joined odyclub and I'm working my way to 10 posts to see what features, if any, get unlocked.
2. I can't resist being the first person to post to this thread in 14.5 years. I guess the action is elsewhere.

I doubt anyone will read this but that's okay. Let us know how it goes with your Odyssey.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm still driving my 2003 Odyssey EX as our primary vehicle. We purchased it new in November 2002 so it going to be 16 years old in the fall. 324 000 km some rust showing, some money invested in a new AT at some point but I still love driving it. We pull a tent-trailer in the summer, and for about a year are driving longer distances on a monthly basis, I must say that it does marvels to the smoothness of the engine. Apart from the AT, brakes and tires, original everything else, and everything still works.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts