Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched. I've found hundreds of threads about replacing the factory speakers. I've been reading for days.

But most of the threads are old enough that the speakers being discussed are no longer available.

I bought a set of Infinity Reference 6032cf speakers after auditioning various brands and models. I actually went to the store specifically to hear the Infinity Kappa 62.9i, but I hated the way it sounded. I know the store's test array isn't the best place to audition, but it's the only thing I had available, and the 6032cf sounded much better. But ultimately the 6032cf speakers won't fit the shallow door cavity unless I carve up the plastic in the door panel, and I'd rather not do that. The Kappa 62.9i speakers looked even larger with the tweeter protruding more, so I doubt it would fit either.

The Pioneer TS-A1673R speakers sounded almost the same as the Infinity 6032cf speakers, but I'm hesitant to just keep buying speakers and test-fitting them and returning them.

I've read that the Polk DB651S speakers (and only the "S" shallow version) fit the 2003 Odyssey, and those are still available, but I'm unable to audition them, and I don't know how they compare to other models.

Does anyone know for certain of speakers that will fit the 2003 Odyssey that are currently available, that you're happy with and would recommend?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Just cut the basket and put in the speakers that you liked the sound of. I did it for years with Hondas and very rarely would there ever be an issue with moisture or water on the back of the speaker.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Bugsi, i just installed a pair of 62.9i in my ody a couple of days ago and the protuding tweeter fits under the stock speaker grill with rooms to spare.

i did however need to cut some material off the speaker basket to clear the magnet. you MIGHT also have to shave the plastic that surround the thread of the 3 screws that holds the original speakers. other than that, it's pretty perfect. aside from that is the new screw holes you need to make to secure the speaker in place.

btw, i cap my MIGHT above because i initially bought a pair of cheap JBL thinking that it's already better than stock, which i SHOULD be ok with. Obviously it's not good enough so i returned it and got the 62.9i. So the 3 plastic thingy i mentioned was shaved when i install the JBL.

i hope you understand what i meant by the 3 plastic that surround the screw threads.

wilson

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So based on reports from this forum, I ordered two pair of Polk DB651S speakers for my 2003 Odyssey.

Will these literally bolt right up, or will I need to drill new holes, trim part of the door, or need a mounting bracket for the back speakers or anything?

I ordered the wiring harness plug adapters too, so I won't have to cut off the connectors on the end of the stock wiring.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Db651s

Did you install these? How did it go?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Did you install these? How did it go?
I installed one pair in the front. They fit perfectly, no modifications necessary. (I did buy the wiring harness adapters too, so I wouldn't have to cut the factory clip off the wires.)

There's a problem with putting aftermarket speakers in the rear, though. The frame of the factory speakers in the Ody have a flange with three mounting holes in a triangular pattern. In the front, there are other mounting holes for aftermarkets like the Polks, but in the back, there are only the triangular mounting holes.

You can buy adapter rings to solve this problem, but in quick searches I haven't found the correct adapters easily. I ran across some that were kind of universal "Honda/Acura" adapter rings that looked correct, but I couldn't find them again with a quick search.
[EDIT]: I think it's THESE

So in the end I did what most people do: I put the factory speakers from the front in the back. The front speakers are nice with polypropylene cones, but the back speakers are cheap paper. So I put the fronts into the back and they sound fine. If I ever locate the right adapter rings, I'll put my other pair of Polks in the back.

Fit on the Polks was perfect, no problems with fitting the grilles over the tops, they just fit perfectly with no problems at all. I'm not using any additional amplification, just the stock radio/CD and it sounds fine. I might upgrade later some day, but for daily kid-hauling it's fine. I also have an iPac-OEM ipod adapter plugged into the factory CD changer port in the back of the factory head unit. It works great.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Thanks. I'm looking to install the 651 not S for the lower bass response. The tweeter sits a little higher. Based on your experience with the s version do you think there is 1/4 - 1/2" clearance between the speaker and grill?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, my understanding is that the 651 won't fit. That's precisely why I got the 651S, the lower profile allows it to fit under the grille. I've read where people compared the S and non-S versions and didn't notice *any* sound difference, so I was perfectly comfortable going with the S. Also, if you're using the stock head unit, I don't think frequency response is the weak area, I think its weak spot is that it just doesn't push many watts.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm changing the head unit to a Kenwood KDC-X994 so I expect to hear a difference especially since I used to be an IASCA judge and have a range of hearing which is outside what most people can hear (my wife always looks at me funny when I tell her I can hear that one of the kids left the water running two floors down in our house). I was never able to get confirmation on the 651 fit on this site.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can be the guinnea pig for the 651! Make sure you buy from a place where you can return or exchange them if they don't fit. If/when you try the 651, post back here with the results, I'd like to know.

I sympathize with you for having wide-range hearing. I could always hear the 15kHz horizontal scan frequency of CRT televisions that other people couldn't hear.

·
Registered
133 Posts
DB651 is a drop in on 2002 EX driver's door

I listened to the Infinity REF6032cf, Polk DB651 and MM651 side by side today. First I listened with a flat curve then played around with the EQ.
I really wasn't in love with any of them but I picked up the DB651, popped the grill off the driver's side door, unscrewed the OEM driver and the DB651 popped right in. All I had to do was rotate the connections so that they were at ~7 o'clock. The grill popped right back on even though I didn't screw the driver down since I'll have to drill new mounting holes and get speaker harnesses. No biggie.

Infinity: Bright! Nice mids and highs (not smooth enough for me) but light on the low end but what was there was tight (a good jazz speaker)
DB651: Nice low end and smooth highs but lacking the mids (I like a smiley curve anyway unless I'm listening to jazz)
MM651: Kinda in the middle. Not as bright at the Infinity and almost as bassy as the DB. The grill on the tweet was crushed on the MM so I think that affected the sound.

I'll post more as I test the other 4 mounting locations.

·
Registered
91 Posts
could you post all the parts/harnesses for your installation once you are done? I am considering upgrading the front speakers, too.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My planned install

2ea Radio harnesses: Metra 70-1721 (stealing a pin for the steering controls from one harness since it's missing in the 70-1721)
2ea Speaker harnesses: Metra 72-7800
Speakers: Polk Audio DB651 (not S). May try the MM651 if I don't like how they sound but the KW HU requires 4 Ohm loads and the MM's are 2.7 so I might go for the MM6501 components and disconnect the OEM tweets.
Head Unit: Ordered a Kenwood KDC-X994 which should be here tomorrow but I might go to a KDC-BT948HD
Metra ASWC Steering wheel contoller

I plan to use the factory brackets and pocket since I have a Pro-Fit cell phone mount that attaches to the right side of the radio. Will probably need some trim spacers. I was planning to do the install and change the clock bulb this weekend but Parts.com sent me the wrong bulbs that were labeled correctly :huh: but they are going to overnight new ones.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Leave the Kenwood trim on the radio, move it back until it lines up with the pocket, and drill new holes in the stock mounting bracket. This gets everything in place with about 1/8" of gap wich can be covered by the top and bottom overlaps of the dash trim.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I was able to mount the HU using the OEM brackets without drilling additional holes. I will fill the small gap around the HU with black closed cell foam or rubber weather stripping or I mght take the rubber seal off the factory radio and use that.

I cannot easily mount the OEM pocket since where I would have to notch the HU housing to accomodate the pocket brackets is in an area that I cannot cut since the face (not faceplate or trim) attaches to the same spot. I might make a U shaped bracket that goes from the pocket screw hole on one side around the top of the HU and to the pocket screw hole on the other side. But since my factory pocket is bowed on the top and the screw holes are stripped I may just opt for the American International HON-K830 since this is the kit that I believe others have used and it's only $12 delivered on ebay.

The 651 fits on the rear passenger side but I recommend trimming the honeycomb on the back of the grill to keep the grill from touching the tweeter (pretty easy with a dremel and carpet knife). You can install the 651 without cutting the grill but it's a tight fit but not so tight that you can't snap the grill on or that it crushes the tweeter grill. You will need to drill at least three new mounting holes since you can line up one of the existing holes with the speaker.

I'm going to mount the 651 up front today and move the OEM fronts to the back and see how that sounds. I do like the KDC-X994 EXCEPT that the radio only goes down to 87.9 and my favorite jazz station is on 87.7 and it's not streamed. Well Pandora and Slacker to the rescue since I can now stream from my Storm 2 over bluetooth!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts