Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the mud flaps today, a total PIA. :mad:

Fronts were fine getting access to screws but the problem was that on each side one screw would not tighten. I tried everthing I possible could to get the screw to engage but it just would not. If I took of the flap the screw went in and tightened no problem.

Back is a royal PIA, even a stuby screwdriver didn't work, I had to use a screwdriver bit with a wrench to get screws off. And again, one screw on each side would NOT engage with the flaps on.

My guess is that for some reason it is just too short with flap on to fully grip the thread.

I even took my time to wax the area being covered but the frustration of the screws not fully going in killed me and wasted about two extra hours. Going to have to try and find some longer screws that match.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yep, brought mine back to the dealers, they were doing a rotation so didn't charge to put them on. In the past 2 generations, the flaps were key for a finished look, not so sure I like them on the '11, but it is done.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well if I had a lift and an unlimited amount of tools as they have it would have been a lot easier (I watched the one from diyhonda.com before I did the install). Nevertheless I would still have a problem with four screws that will not tighten like they do without the mud guards on. So I still would have wasted time trying to get them to tighten. I don't understand how they can tighten without the guard and then once guard is one they wont, but the other screw works fine on same guard. Makes no sense to me unless the thread has some give and moves back a little and adding thickness of the guard just makes it impossible to engage.

I am still not sure I like the mud guards but they are necessary, body colored would have been much better.

Besides the problem of each mud guard having a screw that would not tighten, it is a fairly easy job. The rears are the biggest problem but once you figure out how to get to the screws it is pretty easy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I took off the rear wheels when I installed mine. Made it immensely easier. Did you make a hole with a push pin as per the directions? That could be it...

·
Registered
86 Posts
There are multiple hole locations in the rear and installing the wrong location can lead you to thinking the screw is not long enough. I did this install in February and don't remember it taking more than 30-40 minutes.... Then again, i've installed 3-4 splash guards in my time so perhaps I am more experienced....

·
Registered
118 Posts
When I did mine early this year it seemed relatively easy without any problems. I did take off the wheels as to try doing it without would be a royal PITA and not something I would even consider.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The new screws that go into the spots where you puncture the holes went in with no problem. I am having an issue with the existing screws that you must re-use. The guards are aligned properly and the correct holes are being used. The screw is going into the thread it is just not properly engaging so that it can tighten. When I remove the guard those screws tighten as they should.

If this did not happen the install would have went much easier, but I kept removing and re-adjusting the guard to see if I could get the screw to tighten.

I agree, I should have taken off the rear tires but I did not feel like getting the lift out. But once I figured out the best way to get the bolt off and used a screw bit with a wrench it went fairly easy.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Man do I feel stupid, place I ordered the splash guards just called me and helped me figure out what I did wrong.
http://www.hondapartssuperstore.com/index.php?cPath=49_504

You actually have to change the order of the screws that are used, so when you remove an existing screw you use one of the new screws there and then the existing one in a different spot.

It is actually spelled out clearly in the written instructions. I read them a while back and then just watched the videos before I installed and I did not notice this in the video.

I will fix them tonight when I get home, it should be fairly easy now that I know which ones to swap, hopefully this works. I was so confident after watching the video that I didn't bother to print out the instructions, doh!

·
Registered
7 Posts
It took me 15 - 20 minutes to install everything and that includes waxing the area that will be covered.
I just went under the Odyssey (didn't even raised it) to install the rear. for the front, I just turned the steering wheel to give me access working on a wheel. Yout turn it to the right when you are working on the right side and vice versa. I hope you were using the right screws. Also, in the instruction, when it says use a pin to make a hole, I hope you just punctured the plastic and totally made a big hole.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It took me 15 - 20 minutes to install everything and that includes waxing the area that will be covered.
I just went under the Odyssey (didn't even raised it) to install the rear. for the front, I just turned the steering wheel to give me access working on a wheel. Yout turn it to the right when you are working on the right side and vice versa. I hope you were using the right screws. Also, in the instruction, when it says use a pin to make a hole, I hope you just punctured the plastic and totally made a big hole.
Had I realized to change the order of the screws this would have been a lot quicker. I had no problems aligning the guards without and real gaps, just spent time trying to make screws tighten when it wasn't long enough. Turning the front tires makes the front a breeze, the rears a little tougher, just need a right angle screwdriver and then its easy. Now I can probably install them all in a half hour if I had to do it all over again.

·
Registered
171 Posts
i installed mine today, i watched the video but didn't print the written instructions so I didn't follow the screw pattern they recommended. I used the new self-tapping screws on the front (2 on each side), everything seems secure but I'll keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i installed mine today, i watched the video but didn't print the written instructions so I didn't follow the screw pattern they recommended. I used the new self-tapping screws on the front (2 on each side), everything seems secure but I'll keep an eye on it.
Thats exactly what I did but I had a problem with screws not tightening. I then changed the crew order per the written instructions and they all tightened except one, which I think I may have striped the part it screws into (it did tighten but not as tight as the other ones).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here is one more thing to check for those who haven't installed their splash guards: make sure that they send/give you the correct parts by checking the part no. on the packaging. The touring model and non-touring models have different splash guards. So I ordered the right one and it seems that the seller on ebay incorrectly sent me the non-touring guards, which I found out by checking the part no. after I installed and after the return period has passed.

The touring model has "A" at the end of the part number: "......-100A" and the non-touring model doesn't.

No wonder the front splash guards didn't fit so well....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im thinking about putting mud flaps on my 2010 ody.ssey touring. I just bought last week. Some friends told me that it lowers ground clearance. Im not going off road but is this true. For like when your pulling into a driveway or something. Should I put them on and is it easy to do yourself. Thanks

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Some friends told me that it lowers ground clearance. Im not going off road but is this true. For like when your pulling into a driveway or something.
Note that these are for the 2011+ Odyssey models, but clearance should not be different anyway, see videos on 2nd post, clearance changes are negligible for typical van use.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts