Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exactly what are the crossbars for? Bikes, skis etc? Do you need them in order to attach a rooftop cargo carrier? I've read about the wind noise, so I don't want to get them if they're not necessary.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Please help me with this one. My MB EXL-RES came in 7 weeks early all of a sudden, and I have to decide on accessories today!

Thanks all!

·
Registered
331 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BeachBumOdy:
Exactly what are the crossbars for? Bikes, skis etc? Do you need them in order to attach a rooftop cargo carrier? I've read about the wind noise, so I don't want to get them if they're not necessary.

Thanks for your help.
</font>
You would use the crossbars to attach most items (bike racks, ski racks, cargo carriers) to the roof rack. Many cargo carriers/boxes can be applied directly to the roof, but will most likely scratch and or dent the roof. Personally, I would not get the Honda crossbars but look at an aftermarket brand (Yakima or Thule). They are more versatile and can be used on other vehicles with different clips/feet.

In any case, the crossbars will make noise as they are an obstruction to the airflow over the vehicle. Some people have said that removing the Honda crossbars can be difficult whereas the aftermarkets may be easier.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The cross-bars are mainly for "looks." If you read some posts on here, you'll see that the cross-bars may be unsafe for rooftop carriers (due to uplift forces). I personally have them and use them for a rooftop carrier. I have not had any problems with them. You will generally need the cross-bars if you are using a hard-sided carrier. There are soft-sided (bags) carriers out there which do not require the cross-bars. The rooftop carrier is a must for my family's size and duration of our trips... the added cargo capacity is a life-saver. The Ody's room is second-to-none, but we still need more.

They can also be used for bikes, but that is one tall order... and forget about trying to get the bikes that high without scratching your paint.

The wind noise is usually caused by improper installation. If the bars are put on the right way, they should not produce excessive noise. If they do, you can always set them a little farther back on the roof rails. This will usually reduce or eliminate any wind noise.

Remember, you can always order the cross-bars at a later date (like I did). Don't let the sales person pressure you into a buy if you're not sure. Most dealers have them on-hand. It's simply a matter of going there and picking them up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much robr2 & cmt4. Opinions of informed/experienced people are extremely valuable to newcomers like me!

Sounds like I should skip the crossbars until I compare them to outside models. Like you said, I can always add them at a later date.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BeachBumOdy:
Thanks so much robr2 & cmt4. Opinions of informed/experienced people are extremely valuable to newcomers like me!

Sounds like I should skip the crossbars until I compare them to outside models. Like you said, I can always add them at a later date.
</font>
Plus, it is likely that your dealer would charge the full list price. Check out http://www.handa-accessories.com for the best prices on accessories, or click their banner ad on this site.

------------------

2001 EX-NAVI, SS
1997 Accord EX-L, Forest Green
Previous Hondas:
1992 Accord EX, White
1982 Accord DX, Silver

1 - 6 of 6 Posts