Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting tired of wiper blades only lasting a little over a month on my Van. What are the best blades you have used? Initially most all of them work well but a couple of weeks into it they streak then they just start to self destruct and leave worn rubber on the glass. Is it me or do all the replacement blades stink? Have you had any luck with ones that last a long time?

·
Registered
346 Posts
dunno Mike's van, but my 08 worked fine with the OEM refills, they lasted long and were reasonably cheap for OEM parts at least compared to some other brands I purchased.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
I prefer OEM also.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have actually never tried the OEM refills. I think I will give them a shot because anything will be better than the aftermarket junk I've been buying!

·
Registered
512 Posts
OP:

CONSUMERS REPORT RAN A TEST OF WIPER BLADES. SOME OF THE CHEAPEST PERFORMED THE BEST.

LOOK AT THE INDEX ON THE BACK OF THE MAGAZINE TO FIND THE ISSUE.

MIGHT BE A YEAR AGO. BOUGHT SOME OF THE CHEAP ONES RECOMMEND. WORK GREAT SO FAR

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have used and loved the Napa brand blades the ones on my Taurus are over two years old, they just started to streak now. Another good brand is AC Delco if you can find them.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Any cheap junk works like magic if you keep up with your RainX windshield treatment every 3 months or so.

·
Registered
346 Posts
While I use OEM on the Honda, as noted above, the "Goodyear" co-branded blades sold by Costco (and US made by a company in MD, not Goodyear) are pretty good in my experience as used on a Saturn. The maker had good support with a fit issue, too. Others reported luck with them elsewhere on line, and the value is strong. Dunno about fitment for Ody models, but I'm going to buy my 3rd car a new set next shopping trip.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Back to using OEM refills after trying Rain-X Latitude® wiper blades and the Goodyears from Costco. I do think that if you treat your windshield with RainX or Aquapel, the cheap OEM blades are more than fine. I use Aquapel on the front and RainX on the rest of the windows.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
The key with Rainex is you have to get the road film off the glass and then use Rainex regularly. I also use Rainex washer fluid. My blades last for years. You also need to clean the arms and make sure the pivots are free. Usually the streaking is caused by the arms and blade holder pivots binding. Bugs and anything else that get on my windshield come right off. Been using Rainex for over ten years.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have a question re RainEx. The reason I use Aquapel on the front is because it will last a winter. I don't think you are suppossed to apply RainEx if the temp is below 40-50f, and it only last about 6 weeks. The Aquaple lasts about 4 months which is usually enough to get thru the winter. How do you handle the RainEx treatments in the winter. Can it be applied below 40f successfully?

·
Registered
539 Posts
moxie said:
I have a question re RainEx. The reason I use Aquapel on the front is because it will last a winter. I don't think you are suppossed to apply RainEx if the temp is below 40-50f, and it only last about 6 weeks. The Aquaple lasts about 4 months which is usually enough to get thru the winter. How do you handle the RainEx treatments in the winter. Can it be applied below 40f successfully?
I tried Aquapel last winter on both my wife's DD as well as on mine, and we both agree that while indeed it does last longer than RainX, it doesn't seem to work as well (water doesn't bead up as much as with RainX). I'm going back to RainX this winter knowing full well that I will have to reapply every 1-1.5 months.

Yes, you can apply it below 40deg F, the windshield must of course be clean and dry, and if you apply it in the sunshine you will get some heating effect of the sun to boot.

Oh, and to get back on-topic, to make your wiper blades last longer, keep them clean by periodically wiping them with a shop towel moistened with rubbing alcohol. This will remove all of the contaminants as well as surface oxidation, and help to keep a clean wiping edge for a longer period of time. You can get a bottle of rubbing alcohol at any drugstore for a buck or two.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I wouldn't use rubbing alcohol as it will dry out the rubber. Use a dampened cloth or a mild ssoap in the cloth followed with clean water.

·
Registered
539 Posts
William Wiles said:
I wouldn't use rubbing alcohol as it will dry out the rubber. Use a dampened cloth or a mild ssoap in the cloth followed with clean water.
I don't agree with this - rubbing alcohol is what was used for decades to clean cassette tape and VCR playback mechanisms including the rubber idler and pinch rollers.

I have been using rubbing alcohol on my wiper blades for years now, and I usually can get 2-3 years out of a single set. It works much better than soap & water at getting the oxidized rubber off of the surface, which is critical in maintaining a smooth wiping edge.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Back to using OEM refills after trying Rain-X Latitude® wiper blades and the Goodyears from Costco. I do think that if you treat your windshield with RainX or Aquapel, the cheap OEM blades are more than fine. I use Aquapel on the front and RainX on the rest of the windows.
Yes, the Costco Goodyear are off, back to OEM new inserts. Cheaper and better too.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yes, the Costco Goodyear are off, back to OEM new inserts. Cheaper and better too.
I've used OEM, aftermarket Anco and Trico narrow refill inserts at various times on the OEM blades-- only difference is that the Tricos are mounted on a plastic spine and do not require insertion of the OEM metal ribs, but all have worked quite well in rain, mist, etc.
IDK how well any works for snow, as we haven't brought the Ody to such climes where it snowed. :cool:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts