Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are expecting a baby girl very soon, and as such are turning in her Pontiac Grand Prix GTP with a deposit down on a 2002 EX GG.

Reliability being the number one concern for me, I want a vehicle to last 100K + or 6 to 8 years with no problems. What are the top problems seen with the ?? 3liter ?? Ody's i.e. body seams, paint, starters, leaks, trannys, etc.etc.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The only problem with the Odyssey of any note is availabilty!
The early 1999s had some power slideing door issues that were addressed through tech bulletins.
The biggest bennefit - if not the reliabilty and longetivy of the van - will be the resale when you're ready to sell it. 3 years from now or 10 years from now your Ody will be worth several thousands more than any domestic.

[This message has been edited by PD55 (edited 09-03-2001).]

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
The dealers.

FWIW, "Consumer Reports" ratings of car dealers by manufacturer ranks Honda near the bottom in terms of customer satisfaction.

·
Registered
180 Posts
It's always a bit of a crapshoot; ALL manufacturers make lemons. But Honda makes fewer than just about anyone. We have a '99 and those had a few more problems that the subsequent model years, but ours has been very reliable. Occasionally I have trouble with the power doors, but I think it's because I get impatient and get ahead of the door. I have the same problem with my PC...

·
Registered
564 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, the van's name is about the biggest concern. Took me forever to learn to spell "Odyssey" correctly.

But seriously, I shouldn't even be on this thread, as I too am awaiting my 2002. I do, however, have quite a bit of experience with Hondas. We've had several in the family, and I have personally put about 300k on Hondas since 1987. Bang-for-the-buck I haven't found anything better. I just LOVE Honda engines.

- Darell

------------------
"Some people say you can't take it with you. I'm taking it with me."
Future: 2002 EXL-NAV, TW (with RES wanted!)
Current: 2001 Civic EX, silver
Leaving: 2001 Volvo V70 T5, white/graphite

·
Registered
564 Posts
Oh, and congratulations on the baby girl. We're buying our 2002 EXL for our 1-year-old daughter as well...

- Darell

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think it's hard to discuss reliability on the 02s because they will be different than the 99 - 01s. From what I can see by the others' mentions of the 02, Honda is attempting to improve upon its current product with a new transmission and trying to add some modifications that customers have requested.

We recently got on 01 LX, and I have seen that most peoples' problems are minor and easy to correct. Transmissions were a problem, but ours has been fine. The brakes wear rather quickly, which has irked some. Also, the electrical systems of the EX may have had problems, but those seem to have been addressed and fixed under warranty. (We chose the LX because it had all we needed and didn't have the extra electrical systems that may have been faulty.)

After we purchased our Ody, I got rather anxious about the number of posts that discussed problems. But I was reassured that the problems have been recalled and fixed, and most people were happy with their Odys. And we certainly are!

Congrats and good luck with the new baby!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a 2001 Ex and have no problems to report. I did a lot of research prior to buying it and it is rated one of the top vans. I am looking for reliability and safety and the Honda Ody has both. I also purchased the extended warrenty so I should not have to worry for seven years.

------------------
2001 EX, White, Trailer Hitch, Back-up Sensor, Heartland Console, Mudflaps,comp/temp Mirror,Muth signal side mirrors

·
Registered
478 Posts
First of all, congrats on the addtition to your family!
Have you been checking out the "Problems/Concerns" forum on the board? Some good info there, but if that's all you read, you might get the impression that the Ody is plagued with problems! Can't speak from personal experience yet (see sig) but my '98 Accord has had ZERO problems in almost 60k miles and for the most part, Hondas are about the most trouble-free vehicle built IMO. You can get a pretty good extended warranty for around $800 or less that will take you to 100k miles. Good luck!

------------------
On the waiting list for my '02 EX Nav in RED!

·
Registered
92 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rp95se:
My wife and I are expecting a baby girl very soon, and as such are turning in her Pontiac Grand Prix GTP with a deposit down on a 2002 EX GG.

Reliability being the number one concern for me, I want a vehicle to last 100K + or 6 to 8 years with no problems. What are the top problems seen with the ?? 3liter ?? Ody's i.e. body seams, paint, starters, leaks, trannys, etc.etc.
</font>
Congratulations on the new baby. My .02 is that Honda is practically a synonym for reliable. Having had 2 odys I can say that I had no major problems (other than being hit which is not Honda's fault.) There were minor things ie, interior noise (I found it a little louder inside than some other vehicles I've had.) But, they are supposedly curing that with the '02. Winshield wipers that needed replacement early. Irregularities in the glass/windshield. Nothing horrible enough to keep me from buying a 3rd though. Overall it's a great van. You won't be disappointed. Nothing man made is perfect, but it comes pretty close. The best news is that it's super safe -- critical for precious cargo.
You should consider the extended warranty the price on it is negotiable.

------------------
'66 Mustang convertible (former, pre-mommy life)
'99 CSS EX (gone but not forgotten)
'01 GG EX (Humpty Dumpty - you know the story)
'02 GG EXL NAV (Under construction)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can't say that I am completely happy with my Odyssey because I am not. I have had two Toyotas and a Chevy before my Odyssey. I love Toyotas. I'm not so sure about Hondas. After many months of shopping, we chose the Odyssey over the Sienna. We have had a few problems with our van. We had the bad brakes which were replaced. We had the computer that controls the check engine light malfunction, it was replaced. We have some valve go out, it was replaced. We have a creaky steering issue, it was not fixed. We were told that is how the car sounds. Well it didn't sound like that for a year. Our paint job is flaking. We have over 100 chips in the paint. We are waiting for a call back from the dealership. I bought a brand new Toyota 7 years ago and drove my used 1990 Camry up to 190,000 with only performing regularly schedule maintenance on it and sold it to buy the Odyssey. It is just a hassle to be dragging my three small kids with me to the dealership so they can fix these problems. I have a 2000 EX. The problem is that I love my car! It's just annoying little things that need to be fixed. Sometimes I wonder if I would have been better off with the Sienna.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I own a 2000 CSS EX. Being that this was my first new car purchase, i did a lot of research before purchasing. I too wanted to make sure that I was purchasing something that would give me 6-8 years of peace of mind. My primary reason for purchasing a van was for cargo area - i am a dj in the philly area, but I didn't want to buy a big SUV.

I wasn't fortunate enough to have this site as a tool for research, but had narrowed down my choices to either a Mazda MPV or the ODY. The ODY won after a bad test drive experience in an MPV (look under minivan comparison forum on this site for more on this).

I have only had a few minor problems:

Thought my tranny had gone on me (almost pooped on myself - did I do the right thing buying the ODY?) It turned out to be a switch that tells the computer system that the brake pedal has been depressed allowing you to shift out of park. This was covered und warranty.

The bad center tailgate light. Broke the plastic lens cover when trying to replace. Both bulb abd cover replaced under warranty.

A small drift to right. (doesn't bother me enough to have it looked at)

Bad brakes at 15500 miles (not covered and I shelled out $120 to get them fixed)

Broken rear glove compartment door (fixed under warranty)

Cracked wheel well liner (will be fixed under warranty as soon as part comes in)

Overall, I am still enjoying my "new" car and would happily get another if i needed to.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
254 Posts
both of my wheel well liners are cracked at the same screw hole. is this common to other owners?

------------------
2000 lx,fern grey,remote starter, single disc cd player,roof rack with cross rails, bra, hidden hitch,csa 5 spoke alloy wheels,15% film over oem privacy glass and artic alpine tires on the oem steel wheels.

·
Registered
861 Posts
my biggest problem? not enough speed!
actually, it's the fastest van made, but you can never have too much power
Going to have to get that turbo kit going asap!

------------------
Owner:
1991 Civic Si, Intercooled turbo DOHC ZC visit @: <A HREF="http://turbocivic.8m.com
2000" TARGET=_blank>http://turbocivic.8m.com
2000</A> Odyssey LX, working on lots of mods visit @: <A HREF="http://trickedodyssey.8m.com
1991" TARGET=_blank>http://trickedodyssey.8m.com
1991</A> Civic Hatch (basemodel) winter car, bolt on mods. visit @: http:/trickedodyssey.8m.com/91civicbase.html

Any questions related to honda and your ODY? just email me! [email protected]

1 - 20 of 111 Posts