Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2009 EX is due for a 3x drain and fill so I'd like to take it as seriously as possible. Is there a specific brand of fluid you guys swear by? I usually walk into these situations blindly and buy whatever I find at the parts store. I've never had an ill outcome this way but...it's the Dadmobile.

And then I wondered, is there an oil and filter everyone swears by as well? Since the Odyssey and my wife's Fit drink the same oil and wear the same filter, I'd like to just buy them in bulk so I thought I'd poke the hive for ideas. I just bought new oil drain plugs and a 20 pack of crush washers anyway.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,595 Posts
Oh boy, the ATF question is going to start yet another ATF debate. There's really no consensus.

IMO the safest bet is DW-1. I've never used anything else, never had an issue.

I don't really have a particular preference on oil and filter. I used to use semi-synthetic but since the last oil change I've been using synthetic since it's starting to creep up in mileage.

·
Registered
9,784 Posts
3x drain and fill
I would say DW-1 or Valvoline Maxlife are the most commonly used here. I use Amsoil myself. I wouldn't use anything outside those three.
oil and filter
Synthetic oil, in the grade recommended in your owner's manual. All brands are good.
Synthetic filter too. They filter better and last longer, for just a little more coin.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,701 Posts
I agree with the above posters. Brand is not as important as compatibility.

I use Valvoline MaxLife ATF. Nothing wrong with the OEM DW-1. The safest best is probably DW-1, it's what the dealer uses. I prefer the idea of using a fully synthetic ATF like MaxLife since these transmissions can run very hot. But I'm not a chemist and don't know how or why it works well... I just know that plenty of people have used it in their Odysseys/Pilots/Accords/MDXes and few report any issues with it.

Any synthetic motor oil will do. I used to use SuperTech (Walmart brand), then switched to Shell Rotella as I got a bunch of it at a really cheap price. I've also used the Costco brand oil before. Before that, I always used Mobil 1, but that's a bit pricier. Not sure if it's worth it IMO, but Mobil 1 is supposed to be the best stuff. My dad insists on Mobil 1 in his Camry, so that's what I use on his car.

For filters, I either use Bosch Premium or the silver Frams. Lots of good options though, I think Wix makes a really good one.

Change fluids often. That's more important than what brand of fluid you use, as long as it's adequately compatible IMO.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
You could spend the rest of this long weekend reading posts from just the last year on this topic, if you drop the gen 3 filter. I'm only slightly exaggerating.

Heat is the biggest enemy of the oil and ATF. Full synthetics handle heat better, particularly because they do not have VII's that break down and leave the viscosity out of spec. The price difference is now so small that I haven't seen any reason to use dino in over a decade.

I am partial to ATF from suppliers I trust who say that the product meets the Honda (or other manufacturer's) spec, rather than the weasel words "we recommend this product of ours for your...whatever". People selling distilled cat pee can recommend their product for YOUR tranny, even if they wouldn't carry a sealed container of it in their own vehicle.

The under/over on the number of responses your post will draw is 113. 😁

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been buying whatever brand of fully synthetic motor oil is on sale and matches my vehicle's grade as long as I've been driving. I've been buying Fram Ultra Synthetic filters. ATF fluid has always been parts store brand of whatever the factory specs called for. I've never run into any issues, but I like reading everyone's opinions. This site is full of experience(s). Even if the choice is based on taste or smell, I'd love to hear it out.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
In addition to their preferred oil and ATF, I would ask people what vodka they spec for their screwdrivers, or tequila for their Margaritas. Or, what aspirin or ACP they buy. My theory is that a pattern of choices/decision making will show.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've been buying whatever brand of fully synthetic motor oil is on sale and matches my vehicle's grade as long as I've been driving. I've been buying Fram Ultra Synthetic filters. ATF fluid has always been parts store brand of whatever the factory specs called for. I've never run into any issues, but I like reading everyone's opinions. This site is full of experience(s). Even if the choice is based on taste or smell, I'd love to hear it out.
Honda DW1 for transmission, Mobil-1 for engine, Honda oil filter. I buy and dump the whole 5qt jug from Walmart, I prefer the version for extended interval and high mileage.

A question I haven't seen is whether people change their oil when the maintenance minder tells them to when using synthetic oil. I do, but I can see some someone arguing that synthetics last longer and maybe running two cycles. I noticed that usually the car tells me to change the oil after about 5K miles. Once we did a lot of highway miles and noticed that the interval extended to 7K, so there is some intelligence there.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,701 Posts
Honda DW1 for transmission, Mobil-1 for engine, Honda oil filter. I buy and dump the whole 5qt jug from Walmart, I prefer the version for extended interval and high mileage.

A question I haven't seen is whether people change their oil when the maintenance minder tells them to when using synthetic oil. I do, but I can see some someone arguing that synthetics last longer and maybe running two cycles. I noticed that usually the car tells me to change the oil after about 5K miles. Once we did a lot of highway miles and noticed that the interval extended to 7K, so there is some intelligence there.
The maintenance minder does monitor things like the number of cold starts and RPMs, so it does take into account highway miles. Since the maintenance minder on the 3rd gen was designed for conventional oil, it's true that you can push the interval a bit if you were using synthetic. Two full cycles seems very excessive, though.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,595 Posts
I usually change my oil with the minder regardless of what type of oil I'm using.

Exception is my Accord, where I was using synthetic oil and it was burning oil, 1 quart every 1k, and each time I was filling it up with fresh synthetic oil, so I figured if we estimate the maintenance minder to trigger every 5k, that's 5 brand new quarts. So a good majority of the oil in the engine would be fresh anyway, so there'd be little point in doing a change besides changing the filter. So I did skip some here and there with that car.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I change my oil every 5,000 miles. I do not pay attention to the maintenance minder. I do use full synthetic Mobil 1 oil. I feel that because it’s full synthetic oil I could go as long as 10,000 miles, but I choose not to wait that long.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been following the minder since I bought the Ody. I also thought I had read full synthetic oil was standard for the '09 Ody, so I figured the minder was correct.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The best thing I ever did for my tranny was install the Jasper cooler when I bought it used. Also added the Magnefine filter. I use MobilOne and Valvoline MaxLife ATF because both are highly rated and economical alternatives to Honda fluids. I used to be a "color" guy with ATF - monitoring the condition of fluid by examining the color of fluid and changing accordingly - not too "scientific," but better than not changing out ATF because Honda said it was not due yet. All it takes is one high temperature event - like hauling a trailer up a mountain in the summer - to seriously degrade your ATF.

As a MechEng I thought Honda's 3x drain and fill could be improved on. I'm sure the dealer merely starts the engine and cycles thru the gears between each scheduled drain and fill. The better way, as numerous posters attest, is to let the car run for many miles, including torque converter lockup, to allow the additives and cleaning ability of new ATF to work. Taking that to the next level, why even do multiple D&F's? (Unless your ATF is now filthy.) Once I got my ATF clean, I decided to change it with every oil change. Why not? I'm providing fresh additives on a regular basis.

Honda's transmissions can never be too clean or too cool.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As an interesting update, I can't find crush washers for the transmission drain plug. I tried going the cheap route by using Amazon and, as I'll explain below, I am clearly not a parts guy.

So....

I ordered some oil drain plug crush washers from Mission Automotive on Amazon. What arrived had an ID too large and an OD too small. That's when I realized I had forgotten to check the reviews...but at 4.6 stars I didn't think I had to.

Here's the little devils...

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Well, you have me confused. You start off talking about difficulty finding tranny drain plug crush washer, then switch to saying you ordered (engine) oil drain plug washers and were disappointed. How do the two relate?

I would always start off searching for the Honda p/n. You get people selling things they are at least clearly saying are direct replacements for the part you are seeking.

Reactions: Odywannabe2020

·
Registered
797 Posts
As an interesting update, I can't find crush washers for the transmission drain plug. I tried going the cheap route by using Amazon and, as I'll explain below, I am clearly not a parts guy.

So....

I ordered some oil drain plug crush washers from Mission Automotive on Amazon. What arrived had an ID too large and an OD too small. That's when I realized I had forgotten to check the reviews...but at 4.6 stars I didn't think I had to.

Here's the little devils...
Uh, does it fit OIL drain plug? If so, then there is nothing to complain about?
Does ID/OD stated in their description/picture of the product incorrect?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I got some at oreilly parts before. Most autoparts will have various types and sizes. Are they getting that difficult to find now. I have looked in a while because I have a few left from last bunch I got.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not having trouble finding oil drain plug crush washers. I took a gamble and tried to buy them in bulk on the cheap and I lost. Good thing Amazon returns are so easy. I can find Dorman oil drain plug crush washers just about anywhere, and they actually match OE, but they cost more.

As a note, I've never replaced one for an oil change before; I've always re-used them with the same orientation and have yet to have a leak. I just thought I'd get a little more professional about it.

Transmission drain plug crush washers are more difficult for me to find, and I would rather not re-use the existing washer. I've looked across every parts site I normally check and they don't even sell them. At least, not that I can find.

Uh, does it fit OIL drain plug?
Sort of.
Automotive tire Coin Household hardware Nickel Currency

Does ID/OD stated in their description/picture of the product incorrect?
I did not compare to original specs. It was more of an unresearched impulse buy.

Well, you have me confused.
Sorry, the inner workings of my mind are an enigma, even to me.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,701 Posts
Yes - the crush washer for the ATF drain plug is strangely difficult to find.

A few years back I bought a pack of 10 Dorman ones for the ATF plug on my Toyota Camry from RockAuto. So I think I still have 8 of them. I remember looking and finding that the inner diameter of the Odyssey's ATF drain plug washer was the same as that of the Camry, so the ones I have on hand would also work.

The outer diameter doesn't really matter that much, as long as it's not excessively large or small.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts