Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if you guys could shed some light on this. I bought my 2007 EX-L two months ago with 82K. The previous owner told me that he changed the alternator mid-2019 (around 77K) since it died. He was not a car person, and when I asked him what brand the new alternator was, he said "I was told it was the one Honda uses." So, I assumed it was a Denso rebuilt (which I know is the only good replacement).

Fast forward to today, I took a mirror to see the sticker on the alternator and it simply says "15564 - Remanufactured in China". That sticker seems to be covering a smaller sticker underneath that I can make out "15564" and "0119". Searching up "15564 alternator" on google seems to return Napa, Pure Energy, Duralast, and some others. Looks like it might be a general part number? This is disappointing. I really thought there was a Denso in there.

Any thoughts on what brand it might actually be?

And... if it's not a Denso, doesn't that mean it won't last long? Should I replace it preventatively with a Denso unit? I don't want to be left stranded during a road trip.

·
Registered
813 Posts
If it's like either in the picture KaiManson posted in another thread,
then it should be clear if it's a Denso!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Why are you worried about replacing a working alternator. You'd be better getting a cheap multimeter and checking alternator voltage every few months, or better yet:

I have one, and it's great.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think that confirms mine isn't a Denso, then. The Denso has a different part number. I'm surprised the sticker I see doesn't have a brand on it. Maybe there's another sticker in a hidden spot that I can't see.

I tested it with a voltmeter and it's charging at the correct 14v. So it clearly works. I'm just concerned that it's going to die unexpectedly on me one day.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why are you worried about replacing a working alternator. You'd be better getting a cheap multimeter and checking alternator voltage every few months, or better yet:

I have one, and it's great.
Perhaps a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. I do test the voltage periodically on my cars before a road trip, just in case. But I thought there were other ways that alternators could die suddenly even though they are putting out the current voltage the day before?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Alternator can absolutely work one moment and crap out the next.

·
Registered
11,880 Posts
I would try running the car with every load you can find turned on. Turn on both AC units full blast, high beam headlights, wipers, radio, rear defrost, etc. If you still have 13V or better on the battery then it's working fine.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would try running the car with every load you can find turned on. Turn on both AC units full blast, high beam headlights, wipers, radio, rear defrost, etc. If you still have 13V or better on the battery then it's working fine.
It was charging at 14.3v at idle. I'm not sure how accurate my multimeter is, but my Camry was charging 14.5v according to it, so it seems to be fine. I'll have to try it with full load to make sure it can handle such a load.

I remember reading that you changed your alternator preventatively before it actually broke. My understanding is the OEM alternator tends to make noise before failing. But, since mine is no longer OEM... is it common for alternators to fail suddenly with no warning?

·
Registered
11,880 Posts
Yes, they can fail suddenly with no warning. That's usually how they fail.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, they can fail suddenly with no warning. That's usually how they fail.
Curious what you would do if you were me. Would you replace the currently functioning off-brand alternator with a Denso reman for piece of mind or wait until there might be an indication of some issue?

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
And... if it's not a Denso, doesn't that mean it won't last long?
Not necessarily.

My one-word description for a generic alternator would be "unpredictable". It could fail today, or it could last many years.

I do understand your concern for reliability. Also I realize that my logic will do absolutely nothing to abate your concern. It wasn't meant to.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not necessarily.

My one-word description for a generic alternator would be "unpredictable". It could fail today, or it could last many years.

I do understand your concern for reliability. Also I realize that my logic will do absolutely nothing to abate your concern. It wasn't meant to.
Yup, unpredictable is what scares me. Wouldn't be as concerned if it was a train station commute car, but for a road trip car...

It does seem silly to me to replace a perfectly functioning alternator. But, I plan on keeping this car for another 10+ years at a minimum and since it's almost certain I'll have to replace the alternator some time within the next 10 years anyway, I'm really conflicted if I should just replace it now.

·
Registered
11,880 Posts
Order a Denso from RockAuto and replace it then. The issues I've seen with the local parts house remans is in the regulator. It won't supply enough amperage to run everything. They are fine with low to normal loads but as soon as you load them up the voltage drops. They just can't put out the current.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Order a Denso from RockAuto and replace it then. The issues I've seen with the local parts house remans is in the regulator. It won't supply enough amperage to run everything. They are fine with low to normal loads but as soon as you load them up the voltage drops. They just can't put out the current.
This is helpful, thanks --- I'll watch out for this now that I know what to look for with the parts house remans.

·
Registered
598 Posts
In my case the battery light would get on, only when the ac and radio was on. After having those accessories off the battery light would go off within mins. I knew the alternator was about to kick the bucket.
The next day I bought my Denso replacement from Rock Auto. Remember that you have to send back the core back. Not sure how it would work with a non-denso core.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Not sure how it would work with a non-denso core.
Core is the core, brand makes no difference. You just have to send back an Honda Odyssey alternator.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Core is the core, brand makes no difference. You just have to send back an Honda Odyssey alternator.
Good to know, I remember seeing a note on the box where my came...but I wasn't sure if it was regarding the box, the core or both. I believe the Denso refurbish place need to get then the original box where the refurbished unit came in.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, a follow up question. I'm doing a little reading, and I'm a little confused:

RockAuto lists Denso 210-0580 for 2007 LX and EX (non-VCM). My car is an 07 EX-L with VCM.

There is also a Denso 210-0575, but RockAuto says it is for 2005-2006 with VCM. Did not say it was compatible with 2007.

I'm reading here that the only difference is the pulley. Which is fine, but which is the part correct part number for my car? Use the one for 07 EX, or 06 EX-L?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts