Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a '98 Ody has over 170,000 miles on it is there anything you would replace to make sure you didn't get stranded?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Are you the original owner? If so, did you keep up with the periodic maintenance as per the service or owners manual?

If you aren't the original owner, are there copies (or records) of the maintenance performed over the years? If service was performed, was it by Honda or the average Joe in his average yard? Proof of Receipts?

If you're thinking of purchasing the vehicle, does it come with a carfax report? If it was in a flood, fire, or moderate collision, I'd leave it where it sits.

At 170k, there are SOOOO many things that could go wrong if the vehicle was neglected in any way.

Just my opinions :stupid:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The original owner followed scheduled maintenance with the Honda dealer.

Just wondering what things go wrong at this mileage that would leave you stranded. Ignition Modules? Main Relays? Fuel Pumps?

-Thanks

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ignition harness goes bad. It's under recall, but I prefer to do the work myself. $45 part at the dealer. It's the harness just off the ignition tumbler. Do yourself a favor and drain/fill the transmission at the same interval as the oil. Pulling the plug drains about 3 quarts each time. It's cheap insurance. I've been using a Valvoline high mileage fluid which is approved for Hondas with good success. Had some rough shifting from 2-1 that's gotten better over time.

·
Registered
455 Posts
hondaguy72 said:
I've been using a Valvoline high mileage fluid which is approved for Hondas with good success.
I didn't know I could use a different Trans Fluid brand other than Honda's ATF-Z1...? Valvoline is probably MUCH cheaper too :)

[edit]
Can you post a link or picture of the specific valvoline trans fluid brand you use? Thx!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Has the timing belt ever been replaced? That's a major thing that should be done on Hondas at ... is it 105,000 miles?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'd replace the o-ring for the oil filter adapter. When they get old and crack, the car springs a 'massive oil leak'.

Also, as noted before, soon it will be time for a second timing belt change and the ignition switch will eventually wear out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts