Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did installed TS-A1665 and not at all happy with the sound they produce..Its similar to 5W factory ones.

Here is waht I did:
I separated factory speakers from speaker wire and then removed insulation to connect the speaker wire to TS-A1665 jsut by twisting the wire and cello tape applied to the joint.. Somebody in this forum told + and - signs on speaker wire. I dont know what is what.. I just took 2 speaker wire connected to the 2 connections on TS-A1665.

Should i do sholdering the wire from factory wire to TS-A1665 speaker wire?.. And how should i know what color of speaker wire from Audio represents + and what color is -

Pl clarify..

·
Registered
747 Posts
I am no electrical expert, but you may try to reverse the wires you connnected. On a speaker if you reverse the + and - you get terrible sound.

Keep in mind the opinions on speakers varies widely. What sounds good to some may not be much of an improvement to others.

·
Registered
28 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by seeyoo:
I did installed TS-A1665 and not at all happy with the sound they produce..Its similar to 5W factory ones.

Here is waht I did:
I separated factory speakers from speaker wire and then removed insulation to connect the speaker wire to TS-A1665 jsut by twisting the wire and cello tape applied to the joint.. Somebody in this forum told + and - signs on speaker wire. I dont know what is what.. I just took 2 speaker wire connected to the 2 connections on TS-A1665.

Should i do sholdering the wire from factory wire to TS-A1665 speaker wire?.. And how should i know what color of speaker wire from Audio represents + and what color is -

Pl clarify..
</font>
You might have gotten the polarities reversed. One of the speakers is moving in, while the other is moving in. Switch the wires on one of the speakers and listen to see if there is more bass. Out of phase speakers will cancel the low bass, not that there is alot coming from 6 1/2" speakers.

You should of gone to Circuit City or a car stereo installer and gotten the adapters to connect the speakers to the Honda plug. About $10 per pair. No cutting. Works every time.

------------------
2002 EP LX
1998 Civic DX, Cyclone Blue Metallic

Previous Hondas:
1992 Civic LX, Red
1987 Prelude, Gray (totaled in 2000 w/188k miles)
1978 Accord, Red

Other cars:
1982 Ford EXP (We all make mistakes!)
1969 Olds Delta 88 (with 10 speed bike in back seat in case it broke down)

Other:
2000 Yardman mower with a Honda engine.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DWF:
...You should of gone to Circuit City or a car stereo installer and gotten the adapters to connect the speakers to the Honda plug. About $10 per pair. No cutting. Works every time.
</font>
Got mine at Best Buy, around $5?/pair.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Originally posted by seeyoo:
I did installed TS-A1665 and not at all happy with the sound they produce..Its similar to 5W factory ones."

You did nothing wrong except for using tape(!!?!?) to attach the wire to the speaker. There are now at least three of us on this board who agree the 1665 sound mostly the same as the stock speakers. Take them back, if you can.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by seeyoo:

</font>
I'd in the very least, use crimp on wire taps or solder the wires to make sure you have a reliable connection, or use the metra adaptors, as mentioned. If you solder, use heat shrink tubing to protect the wire from corrosion.

For the speaker wires, the wire with the black stripe is negative. On the speaker side the smaller terminal is typically negative.

Again, speaker SQ is very subjective. I agree with Texneus in your case, take them back if you can and pay a bit more since your expectations seem higher. But curious, they may not sound "better" but you agree they are different, yes? Much brighter on the upper end? (perhaps even harsh to you?) If the speakers sound dull, like the factory speaks, maybe you have a blown tweeter or tweeters... They should be quite different from factory though, on a subjective standpoint..

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes.. last nite after work i looked at driver side speaker and yes you guys are right that I connected + to - on speaker side and - to +. After interchaning the polarity it was awesome. Bass was real nice and I liked it though. As I bought that pair( TS-A1665) for 99 bucks in local store i wanna get rid of these speakers and am going to try TS-A1695 which iam going to order on net for $74 which is a good deal. Hope I can find difference in TS-A1695s
Will let u know my findings..
thanks a lot guys
02'ODY-EX-L-RES-GG
added: Wind deflector,cargo mat,cargo bin, fenderwell trims,splash guards,TS-A1665apeakers,Licenseplate frame,Honda-vtec, honda-odyssey key chains,wheel locks,door trims..and I love Odyssey.. except road noice

1 - 7 of 7 Posts