Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's 2020. Our vans are at least 10 years old, with some being as old as 15.

I'm curious to know. Now that our vans are getting older, what are some things you still appreciate about yours?

I'll start with mine:
  • It's very comfortable, as a minivan should be
  • It's been pretty reliable, even at this age
  • Great amount of cargo space. I've yet to encounter something I've needed to haul that my Ody couldn't handle.
  • The V6 engine still soars and runs well
  • Nothing more fun than watching sliding doors do their thing (at least for me :p)

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
209 Posts
It's pretty much as safe as a new Odyssey in the event of an accident. Has multi-stage frontal airbags, side torso airbags, side curtain airbags, ABS, traction control, stability control, etc. Compared to a 2020 Odyssey LX, I think the new one only adds two knee airbags, if I remember correctly. Of course the new one also has improvements in body structure, but I'd say the safety difference between a 2005 and 2020 is smaller than the safety difference between a 1998 vs 1999, or 2004 vs 2005. Mine is an EX-L with Navigation, so I even have a factory backup camera.

I like that the engine is relatively reliable (once VCM is disabled). No direct injection, turbo, etc. I also like that I can drain and fill the transmission fluid (unlike the new 2020s, which, while you CAN drain them, it is a pain in the ass like the newer sealed Toyota transmissions).

I like that I have 8 seats instead of 7. The 8 seat minivan wasn't really a thing until the introduction of the 2004 Sienna, where it was optional on the CE and LE, and the 2005 Odyssey, where it was standard on EX and EX-L. Before that, if I remember correctly, only the Mazda MPV from the 1990s could be optioned with 8 seats. All other minivans at the time were 7 seaters.

Most of all, I like that my insurance costs are low, and that it barely costs me anything to run such a safe and reliable vehicle. Planning on keeping mine for a minimum of another 10 years.

The one thing I really wish I had... automatic headlights. My 2001 Toyota Camry has them. C'mon, Honda... although I think they made it standard starting in 2008 on the Odyssey.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
What do you appreciate about your 3rd gen van?

It's not a POS like the new ones...HUGE quality difference between my 3rd gen and 4th gen. 3rd gen all day.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I love the versatility to carry people and cargo and that with 13 years and over 150K miles of service it runs great and is reliable.

I had a roadtrip about a month ago of over 1000 miles with 7 of us and and a dog where all the luggage fit behind the well in back of the third row. There is no way we could have done it with a mid sized SUV without resorting to putting luggage on the roof and it wouldn't have been as comfortable for the passengers. On a different leg of the same trip we had 5 people and the dog and were still able to get a recumbent exercise bike in by folding the large section of the third row and packing our luggage around it. I'm doing work on an investment property now and have taken 6 loads of branches to a public works facility - It's nice with an older vehicle not having to worry as much about the interior, although I have put tarps down on the floor and over the second row seat backs which were folded down. I've also hauled various tools, ladders, etc. between my house and the property.

@jiantao my '07 Touring has automatic headlights, so maybe it was only offered in the Touring in the early years? Having the Touring though I don't have the 8 passenger option you like, so It's probably not a good trade-off.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
209 Posts
I love the versatility to carry people and cargo and that with 13 years and over 150K miles of service it runs great and is reliable.

I had a roadtrip about a month ago of over 1000 miles with 7 of us and and a dog where all the luggage fit behind the well in back of the third row. There is no way we could have done it with a mid sized SUV without resorting to putting luggage on the roof and it wouldn't have been as comfortable for the passengers. On a different leg of the same trip we had 5 people and the dog and were still able to get a recumbent exercise bike in by folding the large section of the third row and packing our luggage around it. I'm doing work on an investment property now and have taken 6 loads of branches to a public works facility - It's nice with an older vehicle not having to worry as much about the interior, although I have put tarps down on the floor and over the second row seat backs which were folded down. I've also hauled various tools, ladders, etc. between my house and the property.

@jiantao my '07 Touring has automatic headlights, so maybe it was only offered in the Touring in the early years? Having the Touring though I don't have the 8 passenger option you like, so It's probably not a good trade-off.
Yup, I think automatic headlights was on the Touring only from 05-07. There were a number of improvements for the 2008 refresh, automatic headlights on EX and EX-L (not sure about LX), active headrests, Touring model got the 8th seat. I originally wanted an 08-10 EX model, with active headrests and automatic headlights and no VCM. But, you can't get the backup camera on the EX unless I added one myself. Can't have everything!

About 10 years ago, when my only car was my Toyota Camry, we took a road trip from NJ to Niagara Falls with 7 people, so we rented a 2010 Ford Expedition. Nice car, and HUGE, but surprisingly lacking in cargo room inside. There was virtually no cargo space behind the 3rd row! The well behind the 3rd row, and the comfort of the 3rd row itself, is something that cannot be beat by any SUV besides maybe an Expedition EL or Suburban. I looked at the Pilot before buying my Odyssey, and the cargo room doesn't come anywhere close. Although, it would be nice to have a little more ground clearance so I don't scrape the bottom of the car as easily and so that I would be more comfortable adding a hitch for a bike rack. AWD would have been nice too, and I looked at the Sienna AWD, but I didn't want run flat tires, and for some strange reason, you can't get the Sienna AWD with 8 seats. But, again... I guess I can't have everything!

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I agree with this entirely. My Ody has, in my opinion, done it all. Recently went on a road trip up to Colorado with 4 of us and a trunk loaded with cargo, the van continued along without hesitation. I've also carried various long pieces of wood, an entire CRT television, and more. The cargo space + the ability to still carry plenty of people at the same time is what I really love.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
It's been paid for for years and hasn't cost much to keep up. Cheap driving and still very smooth, quiet, and comfortable at 226K.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's been paid for for years and hasn't cost much to keep up. Cheap driving and still very smooth, quiet, and comfortable at 226K.
If you had said this about a year ago I would have agreed with you. My Ody has been paid off for years as well, and until recently it was smooth sailing with the biggest expense being the TB and water pump service...but now, AC components have started to disintegrate. Have spend roughly $1500 on AC in the last month.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
If you had said this about a year ago I would have agreed with you. My Ody has been paid off for years as well, and until recently it was smooth sailing with the biggest expense being the TB and water pump service...but now, AC components have started to disintegrate. Have spend roughly $1500 on AC in the last month.
Unfortunately major ac repair expense is pretty much a universal issue in the automotive world regardless of brand. That said, I have averaged less than $300 a year (DIY) in repairs for the last 7 years/100K miles. I just did the full 105K service for $550 parts and labor, new tires for $500, and front brake pads and rotors for $130. All that I consider maintenance. Repairs for this year so far is recharged the ac for $90 and a new serp belt and tensioner for $150. Considering loan interest for the first year on a new one is ~$1,400, depreciation ~$5,000, and significantly higher insurance cost I'm driving cheap lol.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
209 Posts
Oof, what went bad with the AC that cost $1,500 to fix? I've heard of condenser, evaporator, compressor issues with this car...

While no car is immune from AC problems, they are a bigger issue on Honda than some other brands... like Toyota. I expect some AC repairs coming up soon on my Odyssey given how often I hear about them. Lots of AC compressor problems across all of the Honda and Acura lineup. Both of my 19 year old Camrys have never had an AC problem, or even an AC recharge... same with my aunt's 01 Corolla and 97 Camry.

@pkrface , are you on the original engine mounts too?

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Oof, what went bad with the AC that cost $1,500 to fix? I've heard of condenser, evaporator, compressor issues with this car...

While no car is immune from AC problems, they are a bigger issue on Honda than some other brands... like Toyota. I expect some AC repairs coming up soon on my Odyssey given how often I hear about them. Lots of AC compressor problems across all of the Honda and Acura lineup. Both of my 19 year old Camrys have never had an AC problem, or even an AC recharge... same with my aunt's 01 Corolla and 97 Camry.

I am on so many original parts yet that I am definitely over due lol. Engine mounts, struts, shocks, LCAs, etc. Have only replaced one outer tie rod and that was at 210K. High pressure PS line just started leaking. I honestly view steering and suspension components over 200K to be maintenance rather than repair. Really don't know how much more than that you can ask for on something that takes a regular beating on the roads. The only thing that keeps me from dropping about $2K into it to completely rebuild the front end is the fear of one bad minute totaling it and losing that money. If I got a year out of it first I'd still be upset, but not as much as if it happened within a few months of doing it.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

1500$ is a total of all the work I've had to do. New condenser, new compressor, new condenser fan, new pressure switches, and the freon to go with it all.

Reactions: jiantao

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
209 Posts
I am on so many original parts yet that I am definitely over due lol. Engine mounts, struts, shocks, LCAs, etc. Have only replaced one outer tie rod and that was at 210K. High pressure PS line just started leaking. I honestly view steering and suspension components over 200K to be maintenance rather than repair. Really don't know how much more than that you can ask for on something that takes a regular beating on the roads. The only thing that keeps me from dropping about $2K into it to completely rebuild the front end is the fear of one bad minute totaling it and losing that money. If I got a year out of it first I'd still be upset, but not as much as if it happened within a few months of doing it.
That is impressive... wow. I suppose if you plan on keeping it to 300K, some of those items would need to be replaced at some point anyway, so it might not be a bad idea to replace them now. It's a matter of luck whether or not the car will be totaled in an accident, but the depreciation and interest on a new one is certain to occur... :)

·
Registered
772 Posts
What I appreciate the most about my Ody 08 EX-L is taking good care of my family. The main reason we landed in the Ody is because we were having twins, and my loyal Sentra SE manual, wasn't a good match for the whole crew. Finally we got it about three months before they were born in 2014 with 63k. Has done two trips from South Florida to Alabama and many hours of idle keeping the crew fresh. Not major issues, thanks God. My job is about 6 miles one way, so I do about 1 1/2 oil change per year. Max. 6300 miles per year. Most likely I'll keep it for a while. My dream car is a Lexus LS but the idea of a car payment keep my feet on the ground.

Mar.7 2014 - first drain and Fill 3x
Feb. 12 2017 - VCMuzzler II
Jul. 1 2017 - 4 new Cooper 235/65/16 CS5 Grand Touring
Nov. 10 2018 - TB aisin kit
Nov. 2 2019 - New Denso alternator
Jan. 13 2020 - sliding door actuator (driver)
Feb. 27 2020 - Tail gate struts replaced
Mar. 26 2020 - 100k miles full service.
May. 9 2020 - OEM Ignition switch replaced
Jul. 7 2020 - power steering low pressure hose replaced
Jul. 8 2020 - AC serviced.
Jul. 15 2020 - Transmission drain and fill.

Leaving the hospital.

Arriving from the Dealership Feb.2014

Reactions: thscott

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
209 Posts
@kaimanson what happened with the ignition switch, key wouldn't turn? how much did that cost you to fix?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts