Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if you can swap the front seat and middle seat armrests in an 06 EX-L?

They have different parts numbers (and prices) but they look the same to me. My driver's seat armrest is getting worn and I don't want to spend almost $300 for a new one. (81580-SHJ-A42ZB). I bought some covers on Amazon and I'd prefer to swap one of the middle seat armrests up front for my use, putting the covers on the middle seat armrests.

I know the front armrests ratchet into different positions but that doesn't matter to me. In fact, I find it annoying.

It's too late to break out the tools tonight, so I figured I'd check here first. Can I swap in a middle armrest as a replacement for a front one? Thanks.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm not sure if they are swappable or not. People have had success with replacing the leather or buying a slip cover. $19 bucks on Amazon gets you new leather.

Odyssey Armrest Cover Replacement,Leather Seat Armrest Covers For 2005-2010 Honda Odyssey(Darker Gray) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01MYW6TXG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_JGXDDbT84NJJJ

Sent from my Samsung S8+ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didja read my post? :)

I already bought covers on Amazon. I'd rather put the replacement cover in the back where I won't see it and put an OEM armrest up front.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Here's my answer:

Rear on the left, front on the right. There will be no swapping.

I put the slip cover on the driver's side (which was worn). While there is a slight color difference, that's not the main difference. What is really noticeable is the size difference once the slip cover is on. Not surprisingly, the slip cover makes the armrest look bigger, mainly because...wait for it...it is! :)

Since they come in pairs, I replaced the passenger side also so now they match, again.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Rear looks similar to the EX (no leather, no ratchet) drivers' armrest I used to have.

FWIW, I love the ratcheting armrests on my EX-L... the no-ratchet ones were always uncomfortably low (worthless) for me.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I thought about replacing middle row seat armrest with ratcheting armrest. However, after I checked the price I give up, too expensive.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought about replacing middle row seat armrest with ratcheting armrest. However, after I checked the price I give up, too expensive.
As you can see by the pictures of the armrests, it wouldn't have been a straight swap. The mounting hardware on the frame of the seat is totally different.

It's a simple 1 bolt R&R if you want to check it out. 12mm for the front, 14mm for the rear. Cover pops out very easily.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Last year when I picked up my current 06 EXL, I went to a couple pick and pull junk yards.
Took a little time, but for 10.00 apiece I replaced both my front armrest.
Have probably saved over 1000.00 dollars by replacing parts just om my Ody in the last year.
Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
mhg
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing